[Discussion] Patch 6.2 PTR

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Frosted

Re: [Discussion] Patch 6.2 PTR

Unread postby Frosted Mon May 11, 2015 9:58 pm

I've been thinking about the legendary ring and have decided to kind of dump my thoughts here for people to pick through.

For reference here is the ring:

First, a few assumptions.

1) The legendary ring explosion impacts Prismatic Crystal. From everything I've read, this is a safe assumption.
2) All damage sources contribute to the legendary rings final damage for the duration of it's charging period.
3) Prismatic Crystal damage amplification may or may not effect the ring explosion itself, but does effect the spells that can build the rings explosion value.

From these assumptions, which I think are fair to make, one can surmise that in 6.2 there will be a strong emphasis placed on two types of damage:

1) Controllable, semi-frequently available, high magnitude burst damage
2) Sustained AoE

The first of those damage sources is for single target encounters. Controllable is obvious - you have to be able to choose when to burst to best take advantage of the 15s window you have to dump damage into the ring. Semi-frequent is an additional trait that is desirable. The ring CD is currently 2minutes. Having your primary burst be centered around 3min+ CDs means that you cannot have your burst available for every ring CD, and so you are under-utilizing the effect. High magnitude is also obvious. You want to dump a huge amount of damage into the ring so that you are maximizing the effects.

If we look at our specs, Arcane and Frost immediately come to mind as candidates for controllable burst. Arcane, with it's burn phase, Arcane Power, and Evocation being completely under its control can easily swap into a damage dump phase to power the ring. Frost can utilize Frozen Orb and Ivy Veins in a similar manner, in addition to proc banking, to ensure that it is able to dump a large amount of damage into the target when the ring proc is up. Fire, while capable of a large amount of burst in combustion, does not always have this burst available as it is reliant on a good combustion set up to pull off and with the loss of the 2xIB trick this will be less easy to ensure.

Arcane and Frost are our best candidates so far for single target. However, they don't pair up equally in regards to the next two desirable traits. Frost has Frozen Orb every minute, but the throughput from this is significantly lower without Icy Veins. Icy Veins, being a 3min CD, will not be available for every ring CD and is therefore not as desirable. Arcane on the other hand has the option of leaving Arcane Power unglyphed, lasting a convenient 15 seconds, thereby giving Arcane the ability to have controlled burst for every ring CD.

There is the possibility that the throughput of Frozen Orb + Icy Veins every other ring CD is still competitive with Arcane with it's Arcane Power every ring CD, if the damage from Frozen Orb + Icy Veins is significantly higher than the damage we would gain from Arcane Power. So, let's look at the burst in two very simple ways.

Simulation based comparisons (using 6.2 PTR data):

Arcane

Frost

Napkin Math based comparisons:

For both of Arcane and Frost I'm going to assume no haste.

Arcane

For Arcane specially I'm going to begin with the assumption that we're at 4xArcane Charges when the ring begins pooling damage done. Additionally, I'll assume that the current T18 2pc set bonus (Each time you cast Arcane Blast, the cooldown of your Presence of Mind is reduced by 30 sec) is available and that the pets summoned by the 4pc don't deal damage that contributes to the ring. This second assumption is mainly because I don't know what the pets do yet. I'm also going to assume that we're just spamming Arcane Blast into the ring. Arcane Power is up, and just to make things interesting we're going to assume that the class trinket is being used!

Under these assumptions (and some other details like certain amounts of different stats), Arcane is going to deal ~879k mil damage into the ring to be modified and turned into the explosion.

Frost

For Frost I'll assume the same stats as Arcane (just with less mastery / more multistrike). I'll assume all FoF-ILs and FFB-BFs are critical strikes, that the T18 2pc is a +40% damage modifier onto BFs existing damage modifier, and that you have 5 icicles stored from frostbolt spam from before the ring begins storing damage. We get 10 ticks of FO, and cast 2xBF-FFBs followed by 6x FoF-ILs (5 of which get Splitting Ice treatment, since we drop PC in there to).

Under these conditions, Frost deals ~868k damage into the ring.

If you want to look at exactly what I did, it's here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0" target="_blank

There are a couple things I think we can take away from this.

If we just look at the sims (which honestly are extremely rough estimates - the arcane profile isn't even using the AP trinket), we see the problem I brought up earlier. Arcane has consistent burst at the 1.5min interval, which can be sync'd with the ring (and enhanced further with the trinket). Frost on the other hand has significant burst potential - but it's only every 3 minutes. So timing is definitely a major issue for Frost - it relies very heavily on Icy Veins to generate burst.

If we use napkin math, we see that with the AP trinket involved Arcane burst actually starts to equal Frosts burst potential (I reduced the Arcane spell power amount due to the use of the arcane trinket, just to be clear). But for Frost, there is no way to provide a significant spike to burst. Because the Arcane trinket is currently simming as a significant DPS gain overall, this gain in burst potential isn't coming as any tradeoff either - it's just a straight up DPS increase which also allows Arcane to sync significantly better with the ring. On top of this, if the ring is actually affected by the PC amp value (which it very well may be), Arcane is by default the winner here as well since its PC amp value is 30% vs the 10% of Frost.

Moving onto the second type of damage that will be favored, sustained AoE. I say sustained AoE because the ring says it deals 25% of "all damage they dealt." To me, this means to ALL targets. Meaning, if I have 10 pyro DoTs, and 10LB DoTs rolling/exploding, and 10 ignites ticking, ALL of that damage goes into the ring. I don't think I need to run sims here or do any sort of math to say that for 2+ targets, Fire is going to dominate this sort of damage type.

Putting all of this together, the ring seems to be undermining the efforts put forward to bring Frost up into a more competitive realm in 6.2. It takes the problem of Arcane > Frost on ST and exaggerates it further by providing another mechanism that Arcane mages can abuse harder, and more often, than Frost mages. In the realm of AoE, Frost never had a chance against Fire to begin with and none of the tuning changes really bolster Frost AoE in any significant way to change that. With so much emphasis people are placing on the ring (which could be misguided, to be fair) I don't see a reason to play Frost in raids next tier if the current ring design stays in place and has the kind of impact on DPS people are anticipating.
Caimion

Unread postby Caimion Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 pm

While I don't disagree with your conclusion, I think a large part of the issue is that Frost is currently unable to take advantage of their trinket during the 15s legendary window. Arcane burst without the trinket is nothing special; most of it comes from PC/Supernova at the moment. If the Frost trinket were redesigned Frost could still be competitive - just in more of a one big burst followed by a little burst vs. two moderate bursts way, which seems like a meaningful choice players would be able to make.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Tue May 12, 2015 8:00 pm

In the caparisons above I assumed that Frost didn't use its class trinket, while Arcane did. If you look at the spellpower value that Frost is using for all of it's spell calcs, it's using one that is 400 higher than what Arcane is using. So it is getting 'some' trinket use in the 15s window. But you're right - its class trinket is completely worthless for the ring. On top of it being a large DPS loss vs current tier trinkets anyways, if you choose that trinket you are losing even more DPS for the ring.
Last edited by Frosted on Wed May 13, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Tue May 12, 2015 9:26 pm

So I learned that pets should be included in Ring damage. So frost should have a bit more damage than it does in my post above.
Dosseem

Unread postby Dosseem Wed May 13, 2015 2:35 am

How will this effect mirror images for any spec? The 2 minute cooldowns line up rather well.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Wed May 13, 2015 7:28 am

I'm not sure how MI works with it. I'm hoping we get to test it soon so we can figure out all the small details :)
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Thu May 14, 2015 8:12 am

Initial thoughts on Arcane 4pc form PTR testing.

I spent an hour trying to get as many pet summons as possible.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8N ... e&source=5" target="_blank

This is a very under-optimized log. I'm not using talents (normally would use SN). Not using PC, purposefully not using Evocation so I spend more globals on AB/PoM. Not using IF/RoP (which the pets don't seem to benefit from anyways).

In an hour of trying to get as many pets as I could, they did less than a million damage. Collectively, they did 2.27%. I had a couple Arthas summons (not in logs due to bug), it'd be maybe 3%. Maybe.

3% damage when I'm not even trying is FAR too low. If I were actually trying and had PC, SN, and AP boosted damage sources (not to mention proper burn/conserve cycles) these pets would be struggling to be 1% of my damage.

This is especially problematic with the introduction of tiered ilvl. 5-10ilvls will easily overpower a set bonus doing 1-2% of my DPS. Add this on top of the fact that the current Arcane 2pc is valued around 2%, and you have a situation where you almost don't even want to use set bonuses at all. It'd be worth more to simply gear for the highest ilvl offset pieces available.
yungg

Unread postby yungg Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 am

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=124232/intu ... 0#comments" target="_blank

thoughts on this for fire/arcane?

Seems insane for fire, probably decentish for arcane?
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Thu May 14, 2015 9:58 am

That seems really good....I have no clue why that is not a DPS trinket. That is absolutely a fire mage trinket. Why the hell is that tagged a healer trinket???
yungg

Unread postby yungg Thu May 14, 2015 10:33 am

just judging from how highly goren soul sims relative to the other HFC trinkets, that healer trinket is prob gonna dump all over the other fire trinkets. Times up greatly with combust, but won't matter since we'd probably hold until legendary ring anyhow.

Also, the crit proc at mythic ilevel looks like it can hardcap crit for fire, assuming baseline ~35-40% crit.
Killget

Unread postby Killget Thu May 14, 2015 2:46 pm

Do we think the Arcane version ofhttp://ptr.wowhead.com/item=124516/tome ... ds&bonus=0 will see greater use of http://www.wowhead.com/spell=157977/unstable-magic assuming use of http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=124228/dese ... n-insignia as the other trinket. This is assuming that the post in http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1614 by Komma is correct/stays the same for live that http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=124230/prop ... ar&bonus=0 is not triggered by unstable magic.

Seems like they will sync quite well, and even further with http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=186165/ite ... e-2p-bonus which i imagine increases the number of http://www.wowhead.com/spell=30451/arcane-blasts in standard rotation
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Thu May 14, 2015 9:57 pm

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=124232/intu ... 0#comments

If what I hear is correct, the mastery rating is a mistake, and supposed to be spirit instead.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
yungg

Unread postby yungg Fri May 15, 2015 12:14 am

bah, what a downer. Looked like basically the perfect fire trinket.
Kasc

Unread postby Kasc Fri May 15, 2015 1:01 am

RE: Arcane 2pc

Seems you can't just macro PoM in to AB as the cast immediately after your AB reduces the PoM CD to 0 won't activate PoM because of how ability queuing works.

Makes me wonder if the class balance team even tried the tier out.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Fri May 15, 2015 1:38 am

For those interested, I made a list of all the HFC gear for us.

http://pastebin.com/xpN2y4Ai" target="_blank

( crit / ms ) means the item has more crit than ms. ( crit//ms ) means the item has significantly more crit than ms.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Fri May 15, 2015 1:58 am

Starting point for SimC profiles.

Code: Select all

mage="Mage_Arcane_T18M" level=100 race=gnome role=spell position=back talents=3003322 glyphs=cone_of_cold spec=arcane head=,id=124159,bonus_id=567 neck=,id=124212,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_mastery shoulders=,id=124177,bonus_id=567 back=,id=124138,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_mastery chest=,id=124171,bonus_id=567 wrists=,id=124186,bonus_id=567 hands=,id=124154,bonus_id=567 waist=,id=124181,bonus_id=567 legs=,id=124165,bonus_id=567 feet=,id=124149,bonus_id=567 finger1=,id=124192,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_mastery finger2=spellbound_runic_band_of_the_allseeing_eye,id=118306,enchant=gift_of_mastery trinket1=,id=124516,bonus_id=567 trinket2=,id=124230,bonus_id=567 main_hand=,id=124382,bonus_id=567,enchant=mark_of_bleeding_hollow

mage="Mage_Fire_T18M" level=100 race=troll role=spell position=back talents=3003322 glyphs=inferno_blast/combustion/dragons_breath spec=fire head=,id=124159,bonus_id=567 neck=,id=124212,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_critical_strike shoulders=,id=124177,bonus_id=567 back=,id=124138,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_critical_strike chest=,id=124171,bonus_id=567 wrists=,id=124186,bonus_id=567 hands=,id=124154,bonus_id=567 waist=,id=124181,bonus_id=567 legs=,id=124165,bonus_id=567 feet=,id=124149,bonus_id=567 finger1=,id=124192,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_critical_strike finger2=spellbound_runic_band_of_the_allseeing_eye,id=118306,enchant=gift_of_critical_strike trinket1=,id=124516,bonus_id=567 trinket2=,id=124230,bonus_id=567 main_hand=,id=124382,bonus_id=567,enchant=mark_of_the_thunderlord

mage="Mage_Frost_T18M" level=100 race=dwarf role=spell position=back talents=3003122 glyphs=icy_veins/splitting_ice/cone_of_cold spec=frost head=,id=124159,bonus_id=567 neck=,id=124212,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_multistrike shoulders=,id=124177,bonus_id=567 back=,id=124138,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_multistrike chest=,id=124171,bonus_id=567 wrists=,id=124186,bonus_id=567 hands=,id=124154,bonus_id=567 waist=,id=124181,bonus_id=567 legs=,id=124165,bonus_id=567 feet=,id=124149,bonus_id=567 finger1=,id=124192,bonus_id=567,enchant=gift_of_multistrike finger2=spellbound_runic_band_of_the_allseeing_eye,id=118306,enchant=gift_of_multistrike trinket1=,id=124516,bonus_id=567 trinket2=,id=124230,bonus_id=567 main_hand=,id=124382,bonus_id=567,enchant=mark_of_the_frostwolf
Smaiki

Unread postby Smaiki Fri May 15, 2015 10:41 am

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=124232/intu ... 0#comments

If what I hear is correct, the mastery rating is a mistake, and supposed to be spirit instead.
Could be true, but there's also a blue post stating that some trinkets are flagged incorrectly. Just hope that it keeps the mastery :)
Multiple trinkets are not flagged properly for classes and specs. Setting your filter to "All" on the vendor window will let you see all trinkets and items.
Source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/3726 ... -trinkets/" target="_blank
Zelendria

Unread postby Zelendria Fri May 15, 2015 11:30 am

Has anyone done testing yet with the 2pc Arc yet? It just seems it will give constant mana issues due to burning precious regen all the time.
Ianes

Unread postby Ianes Fri May 15, 2015 2:27 pm

I've a few questions for you Frosted. I'm curious how you go about burning with Archimonde trinket. Do you completely ignore all AM procs and just use supernova on crystal and then spam AB till the end of AP? Cause with using AM procs, if you're at all lucky with them. it seems you barely get to use the trinket bonus within that 15 sec period.

I'm also curious why you guys think the Frost version of Archimonde trinket is bad. At first glance i was like "holy shit this is awesome, 76% on Ice Lance O.o??" Is it because during burst you don't really get any effect from it?
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Fri May 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Currently you just burn like normal, except down to 0% mana instead of 50% with AP up.

Frost trinket is awful because it's a 0.9s buff for FoF after a frostbolt. You never get it during any FO/PC period if you do it right. So it's basically buffing only a subset of your ice lances - which are only like 20-24% of your damage to begin with. So you're losing out on like 400-500 static int on ALL your spell + whatever proc goes along with the trinket you choose to buff up maybe 10% of your damage by x%. It's just weak.

Return to “General Discussion”