Worgen weirdness with RPPM trinkets

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Komma
Administrator

Worgen weirdness with RPPM trinkets

Unread postby Komma Thu May 07, 2015 11:17 am

TL;DR: Worgens are triggering RPPM trinkets on engaging combat. This somehow does not affect some other races, including gnomes.

In the recent Arcane forum thread regarding double trinket procs (http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1497" target="_blank), Deathdefier linked a video showing how he was able to use the Fruit Basket to trigger trinkets (http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic ... 497#p13737" target="_blank). Apparently, not everyone is able to reproduce this (http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic ... 100#p14607" target="_blank).

So on a quest to figure out all these weirdness, a bunch of us from IRC set out to test some proc mechanics. We went to Icecrown Citadel to find Marrowgar, who is conveniently a boss with a RPPM reset mechanic. We made sure nobody was using Incanter's Flow, Flameglow, or any other known ability that would passively proc trinkets. Then we took turns autorunning into Marrowgar to facepull him with no spells casted. We noticed the following pattern:

1. Komma-AeriePeak, Gnome Mage. For 10-20 pulls, nothing happens.
2. Deathdefier-Sargeras, Worgen Mage. Upon engaging combat, trinkets can proc.
3. Warranty-Sargeras, Worgen Mage. Upon engaging combat, trinkets can proc.
4. Kuni-Stormrage, Worgen Mage. Upon engaging combat, trinkets can proc.
5. Ataxus-Stormrage, Gnome Mage. No procs.

And what's even weirder: When the Gnome Mages facepull, the zonewide combat engage will cause the Worgen Mages, standing 100 yards back, to proc their trinkets. The reverse did not happen; Worgens facepulling would not cause Gnomes to proc trinkets.

We tried this at least 4-5 times each. I personally facepulled 10-20 times to make sure I was getting nothing. Our conjecture is this: Worgens, with their human/worgen form, or maybe some other racial, is generating a spell event on engaging combat. This spell event is capable of triggering trinkets. This is why as a Worgen, he is capable of triggering trinkets just from using the Fruit Basket, while players of other races cannot.

To make sure this was the case, a few of us tried alts and running into Marrowgar. No other race has recorded a trinket proc from facepulling yet.

Obviously this is a bug. As a result of this bug, if you are not using Incanter's Flow, you must be a Worgen Mage before you are able to use Fruit Basket to trigger a trinket proc on pull. Hopefully, Blizzard will fix this soon.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
DeathDefier
Global Moderator

Re: Worgen weirdness with RPPM trinkets

Unread postby DeathDefier Thu May 07, 2015 11:32 am

I'm really glad Kuni was around to confirm that I wasn't just crazy haha.
Rosvall

Unread postby Rosvall Thu May 07, 2015 11:44 am

While I do not think this has a lot of effect in practice for mages, it does however have a large effect on other classes without any flying projectiles. Such as SPriests, Warriors, some rogues, et cetera.

Very interesting find.

To extend this, if one were to find other events that proc trinkets (such as other toys, spells, auras etc) that doesn't pull the boss and preferably not incur gcd then you could use that as a trinket activator during the time the fruit basket is mid flight.

Edit: The reason for this would then be to make anyone able to do it and not simply Worgens.
Jebbage

Unread postby Jebbage Thu May 07, 2015 7:51 pm

I was getting double procs on Blackhand last night using Fruit Basket as a Human. After a couple of pulls, I told Cgex (also Human) about it, and he started getting the same thing. I'm only including our race because that seems to be what this thread is about.

Logs here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fJ ... s&source=3" target="_blank

It could be because we were using Incanter's Flow, but there aren't many fights in BRF that favor RoP over IF, so for the most part that's fine. I'll try to find someone that has a key to Blackhand on normal that I can go in and play around with no talent/RoP.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Thu May 07, 2015 8:34 pm

It could be because we were using Incanter's Flow
if you are not using Incanter's Flow, you must be a Worgen Mage
It is because of Incanters Flow.
On an unrelated note since you mentioned a normal key – I believe that the keys work on any level of difficulty below it as well (ie Mythic works on all 3, heroic works on normal).
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Thu May 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Potion buff triggers it, yes.
gameorg

Unread postby gameorg Thu May 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Obviously this is a bug. As a result of this bug, if you are not using Incanter's Flow, you must be a Worgen Mage before you are able to use Fruit Basket to trigger a trinket proc on pull. Hopefully, Blizzard will fix this soon
Or use Pot, or Flameglow.

It is not just because of IF.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/j2 ... iew=events" target="_blank

00:00:08.567 Gameorg's Instability fades from Gameorg

00:00:08.567 Gameorg's Howling Soul fades from Gameorg

00:00:08.611 Gameorg gains Howling Soul from Gameorg

Gnome Mage, Gruul kill with Rune of Power. I used Flameglow though. Aswell as Pot in my Macro

/Use Draenic Intellect Potion
/Use Fruit Basket
/Cast Arcane Blast

They should fix the entire preproccing, not some toy interaction. Since other classes preproc by default.

Return to “General Discussion”