Prophecy of Fear [Megathread]

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Searix

Prophecy of Fear [Megathread]

Unread postby Searix Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 pm

First, from Komma's 6.2 State of the Specs thread:
Prophecy of Fear: http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=124230/prop ... ar&bonus=0" target="_blank
Similar to the Unblinking Gaze, the Prophecy of Fear is an extremely strong single target trinket with an AOE effect. Again, it can impact Prismatic Crystal and is affected by all player multipliers, including Mana Adept. Currently, there is a bug with Icicles triggering the explosion effect. This greatly inflates the value of the trinket for Frost, and is almost certainly a bug.

The Prophecy of Fear is by far the strongest trinket for Arcane, and there is likely no other class that benefits nearly as much, aside from the currently bugged Frost. Even without the icicle bug, it is still considered best in slot Frost Mages, holding a slight edge over Gaze. If you're Arcane or Frost, you will want to get your hands on this trinket as soon as possible. Fire on the other hand, cannot benefit much from it, due to their low spell impact frequency.
450s, single target
Specs (again courtesy of Komma in the 6.2 state of the specs thread):
Interesting talent/spec combos
With this section I'd like to bring up some talent/spec combos that have not been popular previously, but made viable by 6.2 changes. I will not be covering obvious candidates that have been discussed to the death in previous patches, such as Supernova/Prismatic Crystal for Arcane, or Living Bomb/Kindlding and Living Bomb/Prismatic Crystal for Fire.

1. Frost: Unstable Magic/Thermal Void for cleave.
Prior to the 4T18 hotfix and a number of APL changes, UM/TV was a top contender for strongest cleave.
OLD 450s two target sims, dated June 10th
While the current talent comparison results differ slightly, this combo is particularly interesting due to the ease of execution. Prophecy of Fear and Water Jet is much easier to deal with in the absence Prismatic Crystal due to less target switching. This combination maximizes FoF and Icicle generation. With the current Icicle bug with Prophecy of Fear, it is possible that this combo is in fact the strongest cleave spec on PTR at the moment.

2. Arcane: Unstable Magic/Prismatic Crystal and Unstable Magic/Overpowered for single target.
450s single target
In 6.2, UM/PC and UM/OP are actually top single target combinations, pulling ahead of SN/PC. The reasoning is fairly straight forward: Both the Archimonde trinket and increased haste values (which SN does not scale against) benefit UM very heavily. OP allows you to use AM during AP without fear of losing out on potential ABs that can take advantage of the trinket. PC has a double dipping effect with UM, with UM hitting PC for 65% of your AB instead of 50%. With higher levels of haste, the gap between UM and SN will likely continue to grow.

3. Arcane: Nether Tempest/Arcane Orb and Unstable Magic/Arcane Orb.
450s, 4 target
The Arcane T18 set bonus is heavily dependent on the number of Arcane Missiles you cast. Due to Arcane Orb's ability to proc AM on each individual impact, the set bonus gives it a very strong boost on any fight with multiple stacked enemies. Arcane Orb was already considered a strong talent on fights such as Imperator and Beastlord, but the set bonus further boosts it. The uptime of heroes, uptime of the Temporal Power damage buff, combined with the ability to heavily the Prophecy of Doom trinket, means that these two combos might be the strongest sustained single target damage specs in the entire game, when given sufficient stacked adds to generate AMs.

WeakAura:

Code: Select all

dStAdaGEcK2fH02uPkZuIYCfHzlv3us5ZuQBRkhgQDks7fTBq7xs8tcXWKO63u5VsyOIOgSu0WLshus1Yiuhtv54eGwiL0sLiwSkLLlQhsG6PkpMiphYejinvQAYQy6KUOkPRsaCzHRtXgjG8mckBMO2Uu4Jei(kbutts67IigjbXLerA0eunEjsNuL4wQuXPboVQQVPsLgNkv1RPeZp65W0tLdXjw0prlx0QCpUd3HEondSTJm9CUKafb2)PvodeOCptxbCq8l4QHZwQ00jxPPqDUh3jUzKL9)TbNqQxsnbsakJkx3Hp0ZP4Eav65EMUcONkvodkkK6yeIw5YyPGEUNPRa6PsLtQJri65qaODp4QvxqUsL7aKLbsMU(tp3Z0va9uPYzqrHK7DdR0kx21d65EMUcONkvQCYoOoGGgmvCvUda12X)tXswqCjTLlh2ah0)3gCajhKdabAHK712dnom9JdFoaf4G4EHMb22rgrpt)ONtZaB7itphqJxk(fm9tCvXcRCodmAeqLdBuhNbffayJiJcEJlAeqL7IgVknVkGgqBBC4qMBrJaQjNdzqPCl5RLvgNbffanEP4xqRC6FBWHuSAqCguuyGaLw5qMBrJaQZildkLRqW1NVy(6L45mqGY12X)rMkNbQzGTDKPNdOXlf)cM(jUQyHvovQu5WskWbr0ZHuCwPNd5mWtHKWXqy05QHrAK5qod8WDbQrwglfjQFoIarje4aBPUjJrjQfhaoXCg4bLWkWsiexgkQZ2M74kqod8qRuPYvQiYYOqz639Vlh4WvdNTuPPtUstH6CVkn9zSKLiZbnpFgyBhzetfZ9lISmkuMEN7vL7aqTD8)fjhK7cuJSmwksCrYbrjwB07ft44JljfZIP35qkwYckzhaQCc(AQ)Aju5AW0VQI)Osc
Credit Carwey and Chiv for WAs

The purpose of this thread is to understand what this trinket does live. This is a compilation of things CONFIRMED to work or not work with the current trinket, and what specs/adjustments should be made accordingly.

DOES WORK (From other threads itf and personal experience):
Single target nukes (Arcane Blast/Frostbolt/Fireball etc)
Targetted AOEs (Supernova/Blast Wave/Ice Nova - aoe portion also triggers)
Arcane Missiles (Triggers 5 explosions, 10 explosions with t17 4pc)
Front-loaded AOEs (Cone of Cold, Flamestrike initial hit)
Most general % buffs (Incanters/Rune of Power/Arcane's Mastery)

Notable DOES WORK:
Comet Storm (Triggers 7 explosions) - Changed since PTR
Explosion cleaved ONTO crystal (main target marked, not crystal)
Ice Lance cleave from Splitting glyph (and Arcane Barrage)

DOES NOT WORK
Periodic AOE (Frost Orb, Nether Tempest, Blizzard - Can trigger but not activate)
Prismatic Crystal cleave (Main target marked, crystal cleave alone does not proc it)
Multistrikes of any kind (but doom nova's explosion damage can multistrike)
Unstable Magic
Icicles - Confirmed does not work
Periodics (Combustion, Living Bomb, Pyro DOT, etc.)
Mirror Images
Frost Bomb

Miscellaneous:
Procs on the pull (as do all RPPM trinkets)
Spells midair when it expires DO NOT proc it

NEW: Rotation Changes
Opener:
Sometimes Mark of Doom procs on the first cast, sometimes it procs a few ABs in. This leads to a priority system:

If(MoD procs on first 2 ABs): AB last 2 times, cooldowns (AP, berserking etc.), Arcane Missiles, PC as missiles land, target PC, Supernova (x2 if mark is still on boss), burn phase

If(MoD doesn't proc on first 2 ABs): PC (we're hoping MoD procs on crystal), burn phase getting all AMs possible onto crystal before it expires

Mid attempt:
If(MoD has enough time left for arcane missiles to land and PC/AP is up): cooldowns (AP, berserking, etc.), Arcane Missiles, PC as missiles land, target PC, Supernova (x2 if mark is still on boss), burn phase

Note: MoD time remaining is erratic. Sometimes just lay PC and pop Supernova if that's all you can fit in. Sometimes fit an extra AM in if it procs just as PC/AP come up

TL;DR rotation changes:
AM any marked target. Consider adding an AB on crystal then AMing (marked boss) to avoid mana cap
Supernova before it expires (on the crystal) if specced into supernova
Otherwise-normal burn rotation

If mark procs while cooldowns are up: Pop cooldowns, AM, drop crystal while missiles are in midair.
Last edited by Searix on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Frosted

Re: Prophecy of Fear (Work in progress) [Megathread]

Unread postby Frosted Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Err, we tested this on the PTR, every mage spell for each spec. It's in the PTR trinket testing thread.

Basically, any direct damage mage spell triggers it, no procs ever proc it, and global modifiers (arcane mastery) or target based modifers(PC amp) work on it.

Saving long CDs like CmS doesn't seem very useful. Dumping AMs into it is a DPS gain though.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:39 pm

http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1614" target="_blank

Current list of spells in SimC that trigger doom nova:

arcane_barrage arcane_blast arcane_missiles_tick arcane_orb_bolt blast_wave comet_storm_projectile fireball frostbolt frostfire_bolt ice_lance ice_nova inferno_blast meteor_impact pyroblast supernova
Edit: Just noticed Frozen Orb was in the list. I don't think it triggers Doom Nova...let me fix that.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Searix

Unread postby Searix Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:54 pm

Err, we tested this on the PTR, every mage spell for each spec. It's in the PTR trinket testing thread.

Basically, any direct damage mage spell triggers it, no procs ever proc it, and global modifiers (arcane mastery) or target based modifers(PC amp) work on it.

Saving long CDs like CmS doesn't seem very useful. Dumping AMs into it is a DPS gain though.
http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1614

Current list of spells in SimC that trigger doom nova:

arcane_barrage arcane_blast arcane_missiles_tick arcane_orb_bolt blast_wave comet_storm_projectile fireball frostbolt frostfire_bolt frozen_orb_bolt ice_lance ice_nova inferno_blast meteor_impact pyroblast supernova
I actually used that thread as my baseline and re-tested everything.

Few addendums to that list:
Flamestrike (Initial hit)
Prismatic Crystal (cleaved onto from main target hits crystal and damages target again)
Splitting Ice Lance (If that wasn't included under ice_lance)

Does not work: Frozen Orb http://i.imgur.com/CgJmIXP.jpg" target="_blank (Edit: see you changed it yah it doesnt work)

The purpose of this thread though is more to discuss fight changes that come with this trinket, namely fight changes that come with using the trinket, and tips/tricks
Last edited by Searix on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:58 pm

Flamestrike (Initial hit)
Already does, along with Arcane Explosion. They didn't show up because I was just running single target and they didn't get used.
Prismatic Crystal (cleaved onto from main target hits crystal and damages target again)
Expand on this? Prismatic Crystal's split damage AOE definitely doesn't trigger. It would create an infinite loop of infinite damage.
Splitting Ice Lance (If that wasn't included under ice_lance)
Included.
Admin of Altered Time.

Searix

Unread postby Searix Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:02 am

Expand on this? Prismatic Crystal's split damage AOE definitely doesn't trigger. It would create an infinite loop of infinite damage.
Ice lance Crystal, boss has mark

If the boss has the mark and you set down a crystal, then ice lance the crystal, the splitting ice procs on the boss (one proc), but it also affects the crystal (two procs)

The boss was hit twice by the trinket from one ice lance 8477 Shadow (Line 5), and 9325 Arcane (Line 8)
Last edited by Searix on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:05 am

That's not Prismatic Crystal triggering Doom Nova. That's Prismatic Crystal being a valid target for Doom Nova's AOE. It's a different issue.

Prismatic Crystal is a viable target for all of the Mage's AOE effects, including trinkets.
Admin of Altered Time.

Searix

Unread postby Searix Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:10 am

That's not Prismatic Crystal triggering Doom Nova. That's Prismatic Crystal being a valid target for Doom Nova's AOE. It's a different issue.

Prismatic Crystal is a viable target for all of the Mage's AOE effects, including trinkets.
right

it does though bring up interesting simcraft opportunities. Some percent of the time we drop crystal the boss will have the mark up and take this double trinket dps for the duration. Though im assuming fishing for procs would be a dps loss but it would be interesting to see

Edit: My understanding is Comet Storm priority rotations (don't comet storm until proc is up) wasn't tested. Should be interesting to see if it's competitive, dependable 7 procs in one instant cast on 3 targets is a lot of instant burst (very roughly around 100k per target per cast)
Searix

Unread postby Searix Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:31 am

Here's a log for those interested: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FY ... e&source=9" target="_blank

It's not a fair fight at all (the raid does more damage at the end, but i didnt save cooldowns for it), but shows generally how the proc works with a comet storm priority rotation

i'll hopefully try it on a fairish single target fight, cleared normal and now doing heroic tonight
Searix

Unread postby Searix Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:46 am

Better parse of Comet Storm+trinket on Heroic IronReaver

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/W4 ... &source=22" target="_blank
Searix

Unread postby Searix Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:17 am

Frost Orb can proc it and you might not notice it if you're on a different mob, something to pay attention to
Searix

Unread postby Searix Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:27 am

Changing the weakaura in the OP
Searix

Unread postby Searix Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:38 am

so the new WA tracks it across all characters that have it, but you have to use unit frames to see which mob actually has it.

This fixes splitting ice glyph proccing it on other mobs but will require players to individually use their unit frames to see which mob actually has it

Use

dOJadaGlQcBdentsLMlqy2s6MKQ62k13OQ60q2POAVODlL9lGFsvYWefJdK(mPmuQIgSanCf6GGWZeKJjrhxrflubTuGOftvz5s1dvuPNQAzqXZfzIIs1uPYKHQPtCrrjxvrvUmLRtYgbspwcBguBxq9rrPCyHMMs67KkgPIQ63agTcmEQsDsfLBbuUgu68kXFvKZbu9AsvML0XhPJcFIhJhLEKXJv(npopoD8E7fmCYeckyy97peu)RqXcouiHwczgcd2kwEPJ00SoD8PrRwNHZ8sORzGesEaDAE1QlCiVQHe(TQki(wCB8E2bghyflbccahiiOwSZJB(uWWULrJF(qas9bDE6sHFGH0gimpew(kqeNoEjwTMqh)wvfeDuOWxuJPeD8jutRA86dr2YIcVkztf1ykXH89yHrh)wvfeDuOWJJGHrfQQSqh)wvfeDuOWRs2ubW2xu4q(oq1OJFRQcIokuOW3nneqZTmA8OcGgFuja0hpcNx)yxVabbGdem7aa7abD9yHEwNpIJJeeqlwNKostZ6j6yEjD8shPPzD64rITZJBJ5LywXekdVQzHTMWhvcaVkztOwyRNm6J3cBnHFMy7abZAok04OHZNu(SWwt8SBWiV5VNzPRU8Qgs4hRXfRZNu(SWwtUcgg5n)0CH4UP7GaKoEvYMunKWH8YYOXNKOOs8QKnHeBNh3ghsHx1KostZ60XJeBNh3gZlXSIjugkuOWRdcxgW8qy5x8cgozcbfmOLGdfk21sW9hYp4z8JHWGTILVP2UostZ6jMJHhhLgRXLzfan(znX6WXcdeZkaAjq8rRwN(GioGotxpvTsHpmZlxXusHe
in combination if you want one that only shows when its on the main target
Searix

Unread postby Searix Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:56 am

it can proc both on the main target and the splitting ice target, which is pretty obviously amazing
300kg

Unread postby 300kg Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:05 pm

I can't get the WA to work properly(also, which one should I be using? The one in OP or the one you linked later?), since it is a multi-target trigger, I placed it into a dynamic group so in case I get a proc on two targets at once I would want to track it.
But it just wont trigger. Also, when you import it without placing it into a dynamic group, it just stacks on top of itself and the timer on it gets hard to see properly.
Stressball

Unread postby Stressball Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:18 am

Has anyone tried simming different openers with PoF and PC? Since it procs on the first cast we either lose ~half of the uptime on the trinket or delay PC. I didn't see anything built to handle this in the arcane APL, so guessing it just eats half the initial proc's uptime and drops PC immediately at 4 stacks.

Wondering if it is worth dumping missiles into the PoF target before dropping PC to take advantage of it better (especially if we still have 4T17)?
Photek

Unread postby Photek Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:20 am

Has anyone tried simming different openers with PoF and PC? Since it procs on the first cast we either lose ~half of the uptime on the trinket or delay PC. I didn't see anything built to handle this in the arcane APL, so guessing it just eats half the initial proc's uptime and drops PC immediately at 4 stacks.

Wondering if it is worth dumping missiles into the PoF target before dropping PC to take advantage of it better (especially if we still have 4T17)?
I tried opening with PC directly and start building AB charges on it, but the PC explosion can trigger the trinket debuff on the boss so I just decided to dump PC completely =/
Lammer

Unread postby Lammer Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:50 pm

it can proc both on the main target and the splitting ice target, which is pretty obviously amazing
If I use Supernova into a bunch of adds, does it mean that Doom Nova may trigger on any of adds from this bunch? If so, any ideas how to track this "chosen" mob?
Stressball

Unread postby Stressball Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:27 pm

If I use Supernova into a bunch of adds, does it mean that Doom Nova may trigger on any of adds from this bunch? If so, any ideas how to track this "chosen" mob?
It does. I haven't tried to WA posted earlier that tracks it on multiple targets, but that and a nameplate addon like Tidy Plates that can show which enemy the debuff is on are probably your best bets.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:41 am

I'm admittedly poor at making WAs feel free to fix/post a better

Return to “General Discussion”