Hellfire Citadel Mage Tips

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Selluth

Re: Hellfire Citadel Mage Tips

Unread postby Selluth Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:43 am

Currently, I'm progressing on Mythic Archimonde. Would anybody happen to know the interaction of Mark of the Legion with our immunity & GI?

I'm thinking of a scenario where I soak for the first debuff, and then immune/GI for my assigned group. WoWHead says the damage is split evenly, and after previous encounters like Lei Shen, I'm afraid that I won't accomplish the goal I want to and might even end up wiping the group by not taking an even split of the damage.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:42 am

I wouldn't try and soak 2 groups, the encounter is set up so that as long as you do your job you will kill the boss.

If you really want to you can solo soak 1 if it goes on you with ib or ginvis and blink but other then that it's not worth it.
Selluth

Unread postby Selluth Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:02 am

I wouldn't try and soak 2 groups, the encounter is set up so that as long as you do your job you will kill the boss.

If you really want to you can solo soak 1 if it goes on you with ib or ginvis and blink but other then that it's not worth it.
This wasn't quite what I was asking, and I also wouldn't say it's not worth it. There's bound to be a situation where it would definitely help if I soaked in two different groups during progression, such as when there are too many people dead (although at that point, sacrificing MAY be a better option if we're close to the kill). I do know what you're trying to say, but I'm fishing for more of a real answer to my question as it will be something that will come up during one of our pulls given the capabilities of my fellow raiders.

If I don't have the mark, and I'm assigned to soak the fourth group, would it harm the raid in any way if I assist the first group with soaking, and then pop an immunity or GI to soak for my own group? No, I'm not talking about when/if I have the debuff - it's obvious I should be solo soaking that one. I'm simply asking if the damage from the de-buff will split on to my immunity - or my large DR - the way I want it to.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:04 am

I don't see any debuff applied when mark of the legion goes off. I guess any player can go to other groups if he can do it.
Selluth

Unread postby Selluth Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:51 pm

There's a de-buff that increases the damage you take if you try and soak again in the same set, otherwise the mechanic itself would be way too easy to deal with. I guess I'm going to have to take a few wipes to test this if nobody can give an answer.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:57 pm

Yes. I was fooled by the logs replay that doesn't show it. It's supposed to give 600% on the next one for 12s.

Apparently that has a new name, Touch of the Legion.

wowdb has "disregards immunity effects". The synonymous of wowhead is "Unaffected by invulnerability" but it can be filtered with "Disregards Immunity" *shrug*.
monkeyofdoom

Unread postby monkeyofdoom Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Mythic Archi
this guide says don't use GI for shackles - use IB instead.
Could someone confirm that IB does not break shackles then - logically, seems that if GI clears the shackles debuff, then IB should too.
Thanks in advance. I could test it - but scared of raid leaders wrath if I cause an unecessary wipe ;)
skiz

Unread postby skiz Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Mythic Archi
this guide says don't use GI for shackles - use IB instead.
Could someone confirm that IB does not break shackles then - logically, seems that if GI clears the shackles debuff, then IB should too.
Thanks in advance. I could test it - but scared of raid leaders wrath if I cause an unecessary wipe ;)
Iceblock: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=45438/ice-block" target="_blank
- Immunity in various forms
- there could potentionally be a problem if you do use iceblock before shakles appear. But afterwards it is fine. (I.e. you can immune applies of debuffs, not sure how shakles act at that.) If you don't mind test this. :)

Greater Invis: http://beta.wowdb.com/spells/110960-gre ... visibility" target="_blank
- Untargetable <-- this is evil. That is the thing that stops spells that are targeted at you (i.e. iskar chakram) , and it also lets "lasers" lose focus on you and get mad at healers. (I.e. iskar laser).
- Dispell flag
- 90% Damage reduce (hidden here: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=113862/gre ... visibility" target="_blank)

This untargetable spell breaks shackles. While Immunity just helps you not taking damage from it.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:38 pm

To be fair, Ice Block does remove all sorts of other debuffs.

But in this case, it does not remove shackles, just prevents the damage from it similar to how it doesn't remove wrath or the debuff you get from soaking wrath on Mannoroth. Since we have no real defensives if I get shackles during the 2nd wrought I always ice block there.

GI does remove shackles entirely, breaking it - and I'm pretty sure it does the damage to you before the 90% reduction kicks in, so its not even helpful if you are the only person in range. At least I know I've died using GI to break so it either doesn't reduce or the damage is too much. On mythic that is - I've used it on heroic to break chains so I don't have to move, which is nice.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
monkeyofdoom

Unread postby monkeyofdoom Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:15 pm

thanks - very helpful.
Yep only really needed during second shackles with all the beams/dogs around - but will use IB from now on :D
skiz

Unread postby skiz Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:15 pm

@Wilderness:
Immunity dispells you, too. But it is even more than that. It sometimes blocks the apply of debuffs you can not dispell. (i.e. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=136922/frostbite" target="_blank - you can block apply, but never dispell it. You can not dispell it with iceblock, nor with Ginvis.). Anyway, it does not affect any targeting mechanics after those beeing applied.

Btw. would like to know where to blink after seeds on Fel lord zakuun. If anyone figured that out.
Kinetik

Unread postby Kinetik Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:50 pm

@Wilderness:
Btw. would like to know where to blink after seeds on Fel lord zakuun. If anyone figured that out.
You mean you need a WA that shows you the symbols you need to get in ?
skiz

Unread postby skiz Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:15 pm

@Wilderness:
Nah. Would like to know where / when to blink after seeds explodes and waves appear to be safe. Dunno if there is some kind of sweet spot i.e. 40 degrees?
Kinetik

Unread postby Kinetik Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 pm

@Wilderness:
Nah. Would like to know where / when to blink after seeds explodes and waves appear to be safe. Dunno if there is some kind of sweet spot i.e. 40 degrees?
you can make two steps forward this is the safe spot for all classes.

As a mage you can also blink back inside the group protecting pillars

Check this :
https://youtu.be/AGuQ3ibEdKQ?t=10m31s" target="_blank
Narsha

Unread postby Narsha Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:36 am

Or just alter-time, press before you go out and again when right after waves have gone out from you.
jazzytwo

Unread postby jazzytwo Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Mythic Archimonde Question: If I were to solo soak a mark of the legion with Ice Block, would I still get knocked back?
I Blink off Boats!
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:29 pm

Yes, but you can get around that by using Alter time or Blink.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
lopstar

Unread postby lopstar Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:21 am

How do i improve my DPS on manno mythic? It can't be all about RNG, and i must admit i think my performance is kind of shitty.

Most of times i miss the second ring because of soaking, is it worth just ignore the soaking for 10-15s to get the ring with my second burn phase? Are people doing that, or is that just a dick moove? - Allthough i can't see it give me 20-40k ekstra dps.

Logs:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... #boss=1795
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:43 am

The way I do it is we explode the ring on 1st add, that is a reliable burn for the mage, then we use ring on imps before the 3rd add to explode it on it, that's another reliable burn phase for the mage, and the last one goes on the start of the final phase.

We use the paragon-based strategy though (the raid stays mostly on the purple spire) so I don't know if that applies to other guilds.
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Removed sticky as Hellfire Citadel is no longer current content. Thank you for the contributions everyone.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.

Return to “General Discussion”