Hellfire Citadel Mage Tips

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
supervixen

Re: Hellfire Citadel Mage Tips

Unread postby supervixen Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:34 pm

For Mythic Gorefiend, I was wondering what trinkets everyone was using? Obviously not PoF but what combos were you trying?
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:13 pm

For progression I used 2 BRF trinkets - Blackhand's and Darmac's. Our class trinket isn't useful because its damage to the adds that matter, not your feast damage and my other 2 options were PoF and Iskar's. Iskar's wouldn't be too bad honestly, but its still unnecessary damage. I think ideally you'd want to use the one from Iron Reaver and the one from Council but I didn't have them.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
supervixen

Unread postby supervixen Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:45 pm

Damn it! I only have Iron Reaver Piston, haven't been able to get the Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia :/ I see a lot of people on Warcraft logs using Unblinking Gaze of Sethe...
Kirielle

Unread postby Kirielle Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:07 pm

Gaze is fine, just need the presence of mind not to regularly aim it towards souls.
neoxz04

Unread postby neoxz04 Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:37 am

Our class trinket isn't useful because its damage to the adds that matter
One way of utilising our class trinket for adds is to sacrifice into the belly about 25 seconds into each add phase, and do a burn. AP will be back when the feast starts.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Our class trinket isn't useful because its damage to the adds that matter
One way of utilising our class trinket for adds is to sacrifice into the belly about 25 seconds into each add phase, and do a burn. AP will be back when the feast starts.
That's true. We used hunters as our sacrificial dps to go in, but if you are doing that as a mage that would definitely be useful.
Quetzatlus

Unread postby Quetzatlus Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:13 am

I'm sure this is old news by now, but anyway : If you face the melee stack before getting shadowfeled, you can blink (thus blinking into melee) and split the damage with all your melee and tanks and not have any of the ranged move.

Courtesy of Naguura on her stream!
Mage - Quetzatlus - 5/7M 4/10M - <Sadly guildless atm>
adrift

Unread postby adrift Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Has anyone tried using Evanesce as seed is casting on Fel Lord? I'm assuming it would immune it if timed correctly like the curse on Manno or Fel/Void surge but I haven't actually tested it.
skiz

Unread postby skiz Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:02 am

Iron Reaver:

1. Pound: evanesce
2. Pound greater invis
3. Pound: evanesce

Air phase? Continue with that rotation. No need to run out if evanesce is timed decently. Recommended to run out anyway. Nothing to do in that phase.
Barrage? Blink.

/lol on dmgtaken after the raid.
Liandry

Unread postby Liandry Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:33 am

Iron Reaver:

1. Pound: evanesce
2. Pound greater invis
3. Pound: evanesce

Air phase? Continue with that rotation. No need to run out if evanesce is timed decently. Recommended to run out anyway. Nothing to do in that phase.
Barrage? Blink.

/lol on dmgtaken after the raid.
Blinking out of Barrage? Psh, everyone knows moving is a dps loss. :p
Eva/Inv all those barrages and tank them like a boss while your raid leader is screaming at you to move and is perplexed when you take no damage. Alter time every other pound and make those healers do their job :O
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Barrages only target healers. If your raid positions with that in mind then you never have to deal with them coming your way at all.
Methusula

Unread postby Methusula Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Barrages only target healers. If your raid positions with that in mind then you never have to deal with them coming your way at all.
Is that true? Crazy that I never heard that. So you can just position healers in the middle with range to either side, huh?
Narsha

Unread postby Narsha Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:02 pm

Have mentioned this in another thread but yeah it works out perfectly, we did it many weeks (until raidteam fell apart and I joined another, they dont do it booo).

Edit: Here is a log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fZ ... TG#fight=5
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Can confirm. We do this every week on mythic. If you imagine the room being the face of a clock with Iron Reaver spawn point as 00:00, we have tanks at 00:00, DPS from 02:00-07:00 and healers from 08:00-11:00. That way only healers have to move for Barrage. Works like a charm every time.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 am

Tends to be messier after a few spreads but it generally helps when healers keep it in mind (to stay away).
yungg

Unread postby yungg Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:37 pm

I read a pretty nice strat where DPS basically stand behind reaver(6 o'clock) and healers split into two groups at 3 and 9 o'clock so the barrage more or less evens out and the boss stays in the same position, rng willing.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:21 pm

It might be harder to be in range in later parts of the fight. It might be better to tackle those things dynamically. Meaning healers keeping in mind how the boss works so they don't stack.
Kathreyn

Unread postby Kathreyn Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Should I be busting a gut to (evanesce) immune the Curse of Legion on Mythic Mannoroth? Its 15M hp.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:41 am

You could, but ice block is rather good for soaking stacks of wrath in P2, and with all the movement on that fight not having Ice Floes is going to be a serious drop in dps. I don't think its worth it for a chance to potentially immune those curses. During progress I took cold snap so I could ice block to soak both of the ranged wraths, and then have it up again for the last curse before we would transition (all of our classes with longer CD immunities would save them for that last one since skipping that helps a lot).
DeathDefier
Global Moderator

Unread postby DeathDefier Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:10 am

Yeah, I feel like taking cold snap and being able to soak stacks off people two times (or just saving yourself) is way more valuable than possibly skipping an add.

Return to “General Discussion”