Nithramus (Legendary Ring) Testing Thread

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Komma
Administrator

Nithramus (Legendary Ring) Testing Thread

Unread postby Komma Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:22 pm

With a lot of players getting their rings this week, we should be able to clear up a lot of questions about them. Please post test results in the form of WCL logs, screenshots, or other verifiable methods.

Key questions:
Q1. Does the damage buff apply to pets (Water Elemental, Mirror Images, Temporal Heroes)?
A1: Yes.

Q2. Does the stored explosion damage tally include pets ((Water Elemental, Mirror Images, Temporal Heroes))?
A2: Yes.

Q3. Does the explosion impact Prismatic Crystal? If yes, is it amplified by the 10%/30% damage taken vulnerability?
A3: Yes, it impacts PC. No, it does not get amplified.

Q4. How does the stored explosion damage work with Prismatic Crystal? Does it count neither the damage done to or from it, just one of them, or both?
A4: It has been hotfixed to only tally damage done to Prismatic Crystal.

As with the previous tier and trinket testing thread, please avoid discussing the results in this thread. Posts that aren't publishing or confirming results will be removed.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Komma
Administrator

Re: Nithramus (Legendary Ring) Testing Thread

Unread postby Komma Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Credits to Dtwar for providing logs.

1. a) Water Elemental damage is increased by Nithramus buff.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QF ... iew=events" target="_blank

1. b) Mirror Image damage is increased by Nithramus buff.
Admin of Altered Time.

Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:16 pm

2. Pet (Water Elemental and Mirror Images) damage is tallied for the final explosion.

Damage done during Nithramus: 28075
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QF ... end=567271" target="_blank

Explosion damage: 7019

Update: Crisis averted; The explosion damage splits AOE damage, but ignores critters.
Admin of Altered Time.

Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:23 pm

3. Nithramus ring explosion can impact Prismatic Crystal. It is not amplified by the 30% vulnerability.
Admin of Altered Time.

Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:31 pm

4. Nithramus ring explosion tallies BOTH damage done TO PC and damage done FROM PC.
Admin of Altered Time.

Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:54 am

Annnnnnd it looks like they hotfixed Prismatic Crystal already. It no longer counts both damage done to PC and from PC.

Credits to Ataxus for providing testing.

The hotfixed version only counts damage done by Prismatic Crystal to enemies, and ignores all damage done to Prismatic Crystal. This can be tested by attacking a PC placed in the middle of nowhere, which doesn't store any damage for an explosion.
Admin of Altered Time.

buffmageplx

Unread postby buffmageplx Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Doom Nova (PoF) damage doesn't go into the stored explosion damage but is amplified by the 25%.
Darklight Ray (UGoS) damage goes into the stored explosion damage and is amplified by the 25% .

a possible bug with doom nova+nithramus.

Unbearievabl

Unread postby Unbearievabl Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:06 am

Overkill damage is not tallied in the stored explosion.

Incredimage - Illidan US <Encore> 13/13M HFC
Searix

Unread postby Searix Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:09 am

Confirming absolutely nothing about doom nova works on explosion, can confirm it is amplified by the +25% damage though

Unstable Magic works
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:12 pm

Admin of Altered Time.

Xyren

Unread postby Xyren Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:26 am

The hotfixed version only counts damage done by Prismatic Crystal to enemies, and ignores all damage done to Prismatic Crystal. This can be tested by attacking a PC placed in the middle of nowhere, which doesn't store any damage for an explosion.
Hey, this is not correct. Just tested it multiple times and if u place the crystal in nowhere u still get an explosion. The ring dmg explo only counts the dmg done TO the crystal, not what the crystal does to enemies. So we are missing out on the 30% amplifier. But i dont really get how exactly the ring counts the dmg done. Here is a log of iron reaver https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zD ... &source=74" target="_blank
Both mages have the ring, the explosion is waaaay too small for the dmg we did :(

edit: just testing in the moment and it appears to work now. Gonna go get some new results in lfr soon
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:33 am

Hrm, I just tested and it seems like you are correct. I will have to check that again.
Admin of Altered Time.

Xyren

Unread postby Xyren Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:36 am

also interesting : if u use crystal+ring on the dps phase of gorefiend you get a really small explosion because it only counts the dmg to the crystal which misses the 30% crystal- and the 100%-multiplier of the boss :X
pls fix blizz
Unbearievabl

Unread postby Unbearievabl Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:20 am

The hotfix for Doom Nova's interaction with Nithramus is in. It appears to be working properly now. I have the 738 upgraded ring so the results are slightly higher than the standard 25% explosion.

I also tested the Prismatic Crystal. Confirmed in logs that Nithramus is not performing as it should on fights with damage modifiers on enemy targets when using Crystal. Screenshots below also show the explosion damage being triggered from attacking the Crystal directly.

My damage to Prismatic Crystal without being in range of another target.

Explosion from Nithramus after attacking the Prismatic Crystal.

Edit: My Gorefiend log from last night zoomed in on the use of Nithramus during Feast of Souls phase.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bF ... nd=8517800" target="_blank

Since Prismatic Crystal itself takes 30% amplified damage we are not losing out on anything if the target doesn't have a damage amplification mechanic. For those that do we are still gaining the benefit of the damage increase but we lose out on a significant portion of the potential explosion. Whether that changes our talent choices for a fight like Gorefiend is unknown.
Incredimage - Illidan US <Encore> 13/13M HFC
Kasc

Unread postby Kasc Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:28 am

Can confirm with Gorefiend Nith explosion being fishy: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/D9 ... 24true%240" target="_blank

Nith hits for a combined 720k. That means I should have done just under 3mil damage. I do well over 3mil damage during the buff, adding up shows I do 5,198,848 damage during those 15 seconds. So the expected Nith explosion should have been roughly 1.3mil.

EDIT: Something really interesting.

Nith seems to be coded not to double dip on the 100% debuff on Gorefiend during feast. However, because Nith exploded whilst my PC was still up, the half damage (~310k dmg) that hit PC WAS in fact doubled from the debuff.

Totalling in 1,077,913 damage hitting Gorefiend, however this is still 220k shy of what he *should* have been hit for.

Offtopic Conclusion: You can (kinda) double dip Gorefiends 100% damage taken debuff by having PC take some of the split damage from Nith, causing you to deal an extra 50% damage with your Nith explosion.
Mahogany

Unread postby Mahogany Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:54 pm

I checked my log for Gorefiend and I did about 4mil dmg during the ring proc, however the ring itself only did 300k dmg instead of the 1mil it's suppose to do.

Do I need to delay my PC and use it in the last 12 seconds of the ring proc so it can bounce of PC aswell?
Valounette

Unread postby Valounette Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:20 am

I checked my log for Gorefiend and I did about 4mil dmg during the ring proc, however the ring itself only did 300k dmg instead of the 1mil it's suppose to do.

Do I need to delay my PC and use it in the last 12 seconds of the ring proc so it can bounce of PC aswell?
I've not got the ring yet myself - but this is what I was anticipating to do.... ring explodes, if you want it to explode on the crystal, you gotta drop crystal 3 seconds after the ring procs! :)
Kasc

Unread postby Kasc Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:30 am

Yeah, AP at start of buff, drop PC at ~2sec remaining. You will probably need to do some kind of hybrid burn-conservation mode (using AMs liberally) so that you can burn for the entire duration of PC otherwise you will have to Evocate during PC - not ideal. Not had a progress raid on Gorefiend since my post so I might be wrong here.

Whilst this lets you increase the size of your ring proc by quite a bit, it's not much more than if we could use PC for the full duration of the buff.
Mahogany

Unread postby Mahogany Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah, AP at start of buff, drop PC at ~2sec remaining. You will probably need to do some kind of hybrid burn-conservation mode (using AMs liberally) so that you can burn for the entire duration of PC otherwise you will have to Evocate during PC - not ideal. Not had a progress raid on Gorefiend since my post so I might be wrong here.

Whilst this lets you increase the size of your ring proc by quite a bit, it's not much more than if we could use PC for the full duration of the buff.
I'm asuming you ment: drop PC at ~12sec remaining ?
Smaiki

Unread postby Smaiki Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:13 am

I'm asuming you ment: drop PC at ~12sec remaining ?
No, he ment 2sec, because you deal more damage to Gorefiend with the +100% damage debuff than you would deal on PC.

Nevertheless, calculating through both scenarios, it turned out that focussing PC is still better than Gorefiend because you would actually also double the 30% gain from PC with gorefiend's increased damage taken.

As you can see, the damage from the ring explosion is more than 50% higher in the 2nd scenario, but it's still less damage in total because your spells hit weaker.
I think the best way is using and nuking PC 4sec after the ring was popped so that Nith still hits PC.

Return to “General Discussion”