Blizzcon 2015 Discussion

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
magictricks

Re: Blizzcon 2015 Discussion

Unread postby magictricks Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:34 am

I swear combustion used to be like that back at the end of bc ( 3 spells at 100% crit).

And I see nothing wrong with arcanes new mastery, it's a flat dps boost like almost every other mastery in the game.
Arcane is now going to be about the rotation and maximizing your burns and using procs correctly. I guess it'll more like how fire is now.

Either way, only a dumb cunt would get upset about anything said about the class now, the game is still alpha and a full year away.
Imnick

Unread postby Imnick Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:07 am

Combustion in Wrath increased your crit chance with Fire spells by 10% every time you cast a Fire spell, and also increase your crit damage bonus by 50%. It would expire after achieving three crits.
In TBC it was the same, except it didn't give the crit damage bonus.

8 seconds of Pyro spam sounds a little more fun to be honest, unless that mechanic is changing too.
Shaak

Unread postby Shaak Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:50 am

I'm kind of interested in the new Arcane mastery change, there are both positives and negatives about it.

Positives
You'll be able to burn whenever you want without worrying about messing up your burn/conserve phase. This will make Arcane much more consistent for fights with frequent target switching to high burn targets.
You'll be able to burn when trinkets are up rather than more or less ignoring them until AP is up, and praying they proc while you're burning.

Negatives
It's hard to tell with only this information, but I think to make up for this change we will either do much less damage per arcane charge, or they might make arcane charges cost a lot more mana than they currently do.
We will likely lose burst potential.

Without knowing anything else about arcane changes, I think this change will make our damage less bursty, but more consistent.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:04 am

I got indirect hints we'll be playing Fire. Ion was like "you got to play the fire questline". Being from a hard core raiding background he might have hinted there "because it's viable too".

Relics though. I believe it's hinted they'll be buffing a spec above others long-term (when they were talking about relics being found and relics getting upgrades). Bad design in my opinion if it's like that.

Hard mode raiding is already complex enough and interesting to off spec. Nerfing one spec is nothing too interesting.

Relevant info:

The team doesn't want the Artifact to be a blocker for playing multiple specs. There are lots of catch-up mechanisms in place to help you bring 2nd or 3rd weapons up to speed with your main one, as well as people who took a break from the game. You will have to decide what weapon you will use your Relics on though.
Grilijan

Unread postby Grilijan Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:38 am

The more I thought about the arcane mastery, the more I actually started to like it.

I'd imagine arcane blast uses % base mana, while evocation restores % total mana. If that's combined with arcane power (or some other damage buff) being moved into the new arcane charges system, that actually gives you a lot of control over when you want to burst, and promotes skill and planning so you end up at very low mana when evocation comes off cd.

It would be very useful to basically have your burst ready whenever a high priority target comes without delaying your cooldowns massively.
Raaiven

Unread postby Raaiven Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:11 pm

I love the sound of the new savant mastery. It seems that it will allow for much more variation in arcane's play. My only concern is that arcane is gonna turn into an easily min/maxed spec.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:05 pm

I love the sound of the new savant mastery. It seems that it will allow for much more variation in arcane's play. My only concern is that arcane is gonna turn into an easily min/maxed spec.
I don't see that as a problem, fire Is also easily min maxed and everybody loves it, if any time fires dps is on par with arcane people play it over arcane without thinking twice
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:09 pm

Hey there friends,
(...)
edit- some frost info from the Q&A
- FFB is gone and replaced by frozen orb? thats all that was said, trying to get some clarification
- Talent that replaces water ele for a damage buff
- Spec will go back to being haste oriented

FFB was tied to multistrike (removed) & BF-FFB was somewhat redundant with FOF-IL. It will make FoF proc more important, since it was not announced to change into resource (like arcane charge) than we can expect to see it go back as a proc and less as a buff to manage.
Also, they needed to make some room as Frost as already a lot of button to push and is kind of micro-management (track short CD + react/manage proc).
The change to haste hungry spec is pretty good and it explain why they remove an instant proc of the rotation. It will make haste value more if there's more cast.

The change to Welly is interesting. They ears some of the Frosty don't liking managing it. But I think that also means that Water Jet is gone or became a talent in the same row that the talent that remove Water Elem.

On arcane mastery, we need more detail but if arcane charge don't change, they will keep the mana playing, just making it more easy. I'm pretty sure we will have talent to toy around it : more mana, reduced mana cost, new way to regen mana.

Additionally : Gnome racial is even better !!

edit : weapon skin (http://www.wowhead.com/news=249811/legi ... apon-guide" target="_blank)
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 pm

My initial impression of the new Arcane mastery, Savant, is not that positive as I think the current one is one of the more interesting ones in the game. That being said, since it is so very early on I don't want to draw any strong conclusions. We're not even in beta yet. Many things can and will change, and I don't think there is much point in me attempting to evaluate one mechanic I don't even know very much about in a vacuum. The full package is what matters.

Looking forward to the mage blog post a great deal. The amphitheater thing where they discussed classes had no interesting information for mages. "Minor changes to frost and arcane" -- that's about as obvious as it gets for a new expansion launch.

In general things seem not too bad though. At least so far.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:35 pm

Mage
Frost and Arcane mages got minor changes.

Well, thats the blizzcon round up for mages, now dont say we never get anything!!!!.
Imnick

Unread postby Imnick Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:01 pm

That's honestly good news in my book.
Frost and Arcane just need some minor touching up, Fire needs a big rehaul.
As they specifically mentioned that Frost and Fire are getting small changes, that means Fire is being changed a lot more, which is what's necessary.
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:25 pm

As they specifically mentioned that Frost and Fire are getting small changes, that means Fire is being changed a lot more, which is what's necessary.
You mean arcane here.
But yeah. Combustion will change to 100% crit for a few second. It will help a lot at low level stuff and still be good at end-game.
Like for other spec, we will need to wait for the full change to be display to see how all of that work exactly.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:51 pm

i actually liked fire a lot (6.1 fire with 4pc), the only thing i would have changed is a buff to scorches damage and made both BW and LB base line.
Imnick

Unread postby Imnick Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:24 pm

The Mage preview blog will be up tomorrow! Excellent news.
As they specifically mentioned that Frost and Fire
You mean arcane here.
Yes I did, whoops :P
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:53 pm

Can we have a specific sub-forum for Legion tomorrow ?

*hype*
Prelimar

Unread postby Prelimar Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:54 am

That's honestly good news in my book...that means Fire is being changed a lot more, which is what's necessary.
this was my takeaway, too. it definitely seems implied that fire's getting a lot of love this coming expac, and that tickles me beyond belief. CAN'T WAIT
Prelimar
~~~~~~~>>o
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:01 am

^ They probably realized the game needs love on the main PvE/PvP gametype of classes. We had an overdose of minigames like garrisons and pet battles. We need more attention at the heart of this game.
recom

Unread postby recom Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:25 am

I don't know about the "frost and arcane have minor changes".

A new mastery for arcane, no FFB (allegedly), IL being a true resource and not a proc, talents that remove welly and more is pretty significant to me. Anyway so hyped for tomorrow !!!
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:06 am

I don't know about the "frost and arcane have minor changes".

A new mastery for arcane, no FFB (allegedly), IL being a true resource and not a proc, talents that remove welly and more is pretty significant to me. Anyway so hyped for tomorrow !!!
If those are considered minor, I can't wait to see Fire. :D
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:32 am

Can we have a specific sub-forum for Legion tomorrow ?

*hype*
Not yet, but it will be up before beta happens. Until then, I think we want to concentrate our discussion in a few thread!

I am going to make a thread for tomorrow's blog previews. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussions regarding the changes.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!

Return to “General Discussion”