felmouth frenzy + mark of doom "theory"

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Causese

felmouth frenzy + mark of doom "theory"

Unread postby Causese Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:03 pm

so i figured something out, i don't know if it's of any significance

basically if you use felmouth frenzy food, and you go for AB0 (precast) -> Crystal, mark of doom will be procced on boss 100% right when PC is ready to be cast on
basically like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYEKi6Kf2Tw" target="_blank

as you can see it procced during GCD (i wasn't casting when doom nova triggered)

that also means that if felmouth frenzy lands on PC before the boss is in PC range, it will procc 100% on PC (which seems to be usual even without felmouth frenzy)

it also means that if you use PoM and then drop PC and cast AB on it immediately (while it cleaves boss/being close to crystal), it will procc earlier than usual because of felmouth frenzy. (usually, if you do the normal opener it takes 1-3+ casts to procc it)

so it should guarantee a higher doom nova uptime during PC if you do this consistently using felmouth frenzy as buff food

tl;dr
felmouth frezy, precast ab->pc -> 100% procc on boss, every single time.
felmouth frenzy, precast PC -> ab -> 100% procc on crystal unless boss is in PC range before all felmouth missiles hit boss
felmouth frenzy, cast PoM -> crystall -> AB on PC while boss is in PC range -> higher PoM uptime during crystal, no guaranteed pc procc

oh yeah and most importantly: i could be full of shit

therefore we need more testers

edit: felmouth proccs 100% on first cast
skiz

Re: felmouth frenzy + mark of doom "theory"

Unread postby skiz Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:51 am

basically if you use felmouth frenzy food, and you go for AB0 (precast) -> Crystal, mark of doom will be procced on boss 100% right when PC is ready to be cast on
basically like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYEKi6Kf2Tw" target="_blank

as you can see it procced during GCD (i wasn't casting when doom nova triggered)
Technically, you do have a ~30% procc chance per spell hit trigger for Prophecy of Fear debuff apply until the first procc happens. That bufffood triggers 4-6 missiles afaik. The chance to not have a procc after those missile hits + first cast is very, very low. (<5% I would guess). It is not a guaranted procc, but you can expect that procc.
that also means that if felmouth frenzy lands on PC before the boss is in PC range, it will procc 100% on PC (which seems to be usual even without felmouth frenzy)
Felmouth frenzy has a traveltime of roughly 2-4 seconds depending on range. If you drop PC in front of your face this MAY be an option.
it also means that if you use PoM and then drop PC and cast AB on it immediately (while it cleaves boss/being close to crystal), it will procc earlier than usual because of felmouth frenzy. (usually, if you do the normal opener it takes 1-3+ casts to procc it)
Prismatic crystall is a mess. As far as I've understood that thing that every hit from PC to anything counts as a spellhit event that can procc trinkets, including prophecy of fear. So you do get a lot more spellhit events. But those events alternate between Crystal and boss. Lets say 6 missile hitting your PC:
1. Missile -> procc PC ?
PC hit to Boss from 1. missile -> procc boss?
2. Missile -> procc PC ?
PC hit to Boss from 2. missile -> procc boss?
Trinket will procc even faster!

Short version: yes, RPPM scales with amount of hits during opener. Long version: http://www.altered-time.com/forum/viewt ... f=2&t=2347" target="_blank

I personally recommend felmouth frenzy if you don't run PC and with PC... There are arguments for and against it if you run PC. Don't think we need to test anything about that food. But if you do have a specific question. Go for it?
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:16 am

I may actually try that. I drop crystal near me in manno. Though I don't know if I'm gonna lose sustained DPS.

We do imps in there. Mastery should play a big role. Most explosions/novas are on max mana.
Causese

Unread postby Causese Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:20 pm

But if you do have a specific question. Go for it?
I'm wondering if felmouth frenzy got any better since https://www.altered-time.com/forum/view ... f=2&t=1693" target="_blank and if the data is still correct

i assume he didn't test it with legendary ring
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 pm

It did not have the legendary ring, correct. Your post also is hinged around the opener, which is not something we could really quantify in the sim.

I highly doubt the fel lash spell effect itself has changed. The things effecting that data would be the massive changes to ilvl we've received, the ring, and "fixed" RPPM model. Re-generating the comparisons to evaluate Felmouth Frenzy again should be trivial.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:11 pm

You don't want mark to proc sooner, you just want it to go on your pc 100% of the time, after 3ab is just as good as 0AB. I mean it's kinda unless until you have AMs to fire anyways
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:38 pm

I think this works. I use that food on archi because we ring at 0 and I kept getting a ton of procs on the boss and I believe that makes it closer to a 50-50. RNG may be playing tricks on me but I doubt it since I have a rough memory that I have about 40-50% better success chance with it.

Though due to the RPPM algorithm I believe the 0-sec starting strats have a serious issue without it, because the very first hit while high in chance to proc, it's very often not proccing after wipes and fast re-pullings (because the timer doesn't appear to be maxing-up it's pre-pull potential).
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:13 pm

First hit procs are actually not very important, even 2nd, 3rd and 4th are not, as long as mod goes on your PC by your 5th ab stack and you have a few AM's you should be fine with no noticeable dps loss.

99% of the time my opener is PC, AP, AB, AB, AB, AB, AB, AM, AM, AM, POM, AB.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:23 am

edit: forget it.
Last edited by WarcraftMages on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:27 am

I'm not sure if this is true but I seem to get a higher chance on the crystal if I'm the first to agro the boss. Is there some kind of immunity until he's into combat? I reminds me of how the ring sometimes out in the wild doesn't do any damage unless mobs are already agroed.
How does this have anything to do with the topic of Felmouth Frenzy + Mark of Doom?

Please stay on topic.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!

Return to “General Discussion”