Ice floes trick/bug/exploit

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Raaiven

Ice floes trick/bug/exploit

Unread postby Raaiven Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:34 pm

Not sure if this is known and it's also pretty minor but here goes.

You all probably know that due to server sorcery and stuff you can use an ice floes charge midway through a spell and have it available for your next cast as well. Now there's a way to preserve the preceeding charge if you follow it up with another ice floes charge at 80%~ of your cast fully affected by the ice floes charge. I suck at english and wording so in simpler form:

You can use 1 ice floes charge to affect 1.5 spells.
You can use 2 ice floes charges to affect 3.5 spells.
You can use 3 ice floes charges to affect 5.5 spells.

I'll try to upload a video soon for clarity.
Curnivore

Re: Ice floes trick/bug/exploit

Unread postby Curnivore Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:07 am

I was describing here how it works. You can effectively get 5 charges. Apparently there is a "grace period" that helps the previous spell to also be on the run, but, timing an Ice Floes cast close to a next cast, only the grace period effect is "consumed".
Ah yes, the buff of Ice Floes overlaps with the grace period of the new Ice Floes but only the grace period is consumed.

That appears to give a maximum of

"Half" a movement-cast from the first grace period (X1 Ice Floes Buff)
+ a full movement-cast that does not consume a buff due to the second grace period (X2 buff)
+ a full movement-cast that does not consume a buff due the third grace period (X3 buff)
+ a full movement-cast from the X3 buff (now at X2 buff, we run out of charges)
+ a full movement-cast from the X2 buff (now at X1 buff, we run out of charges)
+ a full movement-cast from the final buff (no buff, we run out of charges)

So basically the max you can do is 6 movement casts, one of them being only partial, rather "5.3" casts.

It's pretty cool. It might look excessive but it's still probably intentional.
It's challenging to do it properly at all times of course. I often do raid calls, and it's not that easy to pull it off.
Last edited by WarcraftMages on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raaiven

Unread postby Raaiven Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:10 am

I am sorry i missed your post. Nevertheless, here's a video in case it helps others understand the mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEkDd65OLMw" target="_blank
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:13 am

I didn't discover it of course, it's an old trick. I figured the whole thing is an artifact of trying to make it work more gracefully both with the previous spell being casted and the new one that will be casted. It's a cool trick because it's not that easy to pull off, especially when multitasking and I guess that's why Blizzard leaves it in.
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 am

It's used and abused since Mists of Pandaria. This was particularly useful on Blackhand mythic as you could spend your 3 charges to keep casting through one of the long runs without having to rely on Aspect of the Fox.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.

Return to “General Discussion”