Shard of Exodar

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Xyren

Shard of Exodar

Unread postby Xyren Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:01 am

Hey guys,
im posting this in the general discussion section to make sure that as many people as possible see this. Im not sure weither most of u have realised this already or not. I noticed many people talking about the Shard of Exodar legendary and saying its pretty strong:
Shard of Exodar is almost useless on progression. U cant ever hero for yourself BEFORE your raid uses hero. On progression u normally dont hero on pull, atleast u dont do that on many fights. Whenever u dont hero on pull u dont get any benefit from the ring since u cant hero for yourself because that would apply the hero debuff to everyone else too ;/ . I just want everyone to realise this and maybe finally blizzard realises this too and fixes it.
Fleks

Re: Shard of Exodar

Unread postby Fleks Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:21 am

Want to buy fix - spread the word
Mortiferus

Unread postby Mortiferus Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:23 am

You can benefit from this in every scenario except when you BL at the very end of the fight, as far as I can tell. Though you're correct that you can't leverage this in your opener. Still, powerful item.
Quetesh

Unread postby Quetesh Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:21 am

This ring should be on use so cast TW only on the caster :(
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:20 am

You can benefit from this in every scenario except when you BL at the very end of the fight, as far as I can tell. Though you're correct that you can't leverage this in your opener. Still, powerful item.
He has a good point in that when this ring was discussed as OP this caveat was never mentioned.
Abraxas

Unread postby Abraxas Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:35 am

And this is why it wasn't nerfed. The ring is pretty strong, definitely one of the two/three legendaries I would find for raiding. Even if there aren't so many encounters when you BL at pull, there aren't that many encounters where the fight ends with BL active also, so this is a minimum profitable in every situation.
DeathDefier
Global Moderator

Unread postby DeathDefier Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Yeah when I was testing normals on beta with the legendaries I quickly realized this and started using the bracers on any fight where we didn't hero on pull.
blackd89

Unread postby blackd89 Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:17 am

Could you kinda abuse exodar legendary in raid, for example if u have to use lust on 50% or something
u could leave party at pull use lust and be invited back ?
Turkeyburger

Unread postby Turkeyburger Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:30 am

Could you kinda abuse exodar legendary in raid, for example if u have to use lust on 50% or something
Just tried on live and it doesn't work. Was in Mannoroth's room with one other person, I left group and used Time Warp, both of us gained the buff even though I was no longer in group.

Edit: same goes for beta w/ the ring on.
Rabona

Unread postby Rabona Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:07 am

Can't we just port out of the instance, use lust and then accept a WL port during pulltimer?
Thisgame

Unread postby Thisgame Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Just tried on live and it doesn't work. Was in Mannoroth's room with one other person, I left group and used Time Warp, both of us gained the buff even though I was no longer in group.

Edit: same goes for beta w/ the ring on.
Yeah, this has been the case for some time. I'm sure you can think of a list of reasons why.
Xei

Unread postby Xei Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:15 am

Can't we just port out of the instance, use lust and then accept a WL port during pulltimer?
Would this work for Odyn progression now that he is right at the start of the instance?

Zone out, pop Lust, zone in and commence pull timer. Yes, you would lose 10 seconds or so, but still a decent benefit.
Ulfin

Unread postby Ulfin Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 am

Prepare
Considering a raid including every spec of mages :
- teleport all arcane mages in Hall of mages
- teleport all fire mages in Stormwind
- teleport all of frost mages in Theramor as a tribute to my beloved Jaina Proudmore.

Start a 10 minute pull timer.

- at -9 min 15s with a precision of 44s (very large) have one arcane mage use a drum of war, not TW
- at -8 min 15s with a precision of 14s have one fire mage use a drum of war, not TW
- at -7 min 55 with a precision of 4s have one frost mage use a drum of war, not TW

Have a warlock summon everyone back in raid ready for pull.

First BL
At pull, every single mage uses his own TW, buffing the none mages and himself.

Second BL
For second arcane power, combustion or icyveins, have someone use a drum of war or alternative method. That is at 1 min 30, 2 minutes and approximatively 2 minutes 10 for each respective mage spec. If done properly, 10 minutes prepull make it certain the use of drums only buff&debuff the correct spec of mage.

Third BL
Have mages use their own time warp for the last time at respectiveley 6 minutes 20 s, 6 minutes and 6 minutes 40 s timed with arcane power, combustion or icyveins.

And that's it, you made it, you used your shard to his full extend. Of course that requires 10 minutes preparation before each pull but if that's not a good motivation for your raid not to wipe during progress, I don't know what would be.

Just be aware that I neglected the potential interference of kindling or random procs of ice lance or use of artifact relics reducing icyveins cooldown in this description.

This item is insane and is designed to reward insane people.
Winkers

Unread postby Winkers Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:59 pm

I hate not having to use it at the start of a pull myself but. Our raid leader is a resto shaman. Since he makes the call he hits it. As soon as it expires, I hit mine. Then, the other mage does when mine is up. I have yet to be in a fight, where we have had the boss down before the third one is used up. Granted, on a longer fight, hitting hero off the start, might enable us to use this rotation twice. But, I am ok with three hero phases, rather then just one. Far better then a on use trinket with a 2 minute CD.
nucrus

Unread postby nucrus Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:13 am

Our raid leader is a resto shaman. Since he makes the call he hits it. As soon as it expires, I hit mine. Then, the other mage does when mine is up.
Am I missing something?
You wouldn't benefit from the other mages and he wouldn't benefit from yours as you both already have Exhaustion/Sated from the Shaman.
So why not both pop your own after the Shamans is down? (Or if you aren't going to get a third in anyway, each save it for when your other cooldowns line up again)
Syxx

Unread postby Syxx Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:06 pm

No, he doesn't understand how the ring works.

Shaman uses bloodlust, both mages get sated. If one mage uses his timewarp after that, only the mage who uses it gets time warp. They both need to use time warp on their own.

Return to “General Discussion”