Guide to Class Order Advancements

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Guide to Class Order Advancements

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:16 pm

This is just a very quick writeup to help you pick your class hall order advancements for mages! These are my opinions, and honestly, most of the choices in the tree are pretty acceptable, so you can't really go wrong.

Tier 1: http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancement=381/frost-nova" target="_blank VS http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... provenance" target="_blank

Frost Nova

Tier 2: http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... tion-nexus" target="_blank VS http://www.wowhead.com/mission-ability=589/blink" target="_blank

This really depends on your play schedule. If you got enough time to do all important world quests without having faster teleports there, Blink will be the better choice. Otherwise, take the teleports.

Tier 3: http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... ne-library" target="_blank VS http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... -armaments" target="_blank

Arcane armaments is better for the first few weeks/2 months or so of the expansion. When all your followers are fully geared up, you can swap to Arcane Library.

Tier 4: http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... ntal-power" target="_blank VS http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... r-learning" target="_blank

Higher Learning is generally better here, but both options are completely fine.

Tier 5: http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... of-dalaran" target="_blank VS http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... divination" target="_blank

This just depends on what you find more important: time or gold. Pick Might of Dalaran if you value time, pick Arcane Divination if you value gold more.

Tier 6: http://www.wowhead.com/order-advancemen ... tirisgarde" target="_blank

Gratz, you can now wear two legendaries!
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
nathyiel

Re: Guide to Class Order Advancements

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:00 am

Quick and good but you should have explain a little more your choice.

Tier1 - Arcane Provenance only work with leveling quest. That's why Frost Nova is better.
Tier2 - Teleportation Nexus will be required for Frost Hidden apparence. An argument for Blink is that it increase the number of missions per day for more gold, champion exp/equipement, etc
Tier3 - resource might be restricted if you don't play a lot, so arnament might be a restriction of some sort were library will reduce resource consumption on the run. Library result in overall increase in success chance because of more flexibility.

Nothing to add for the other. No talent are strickly bad. All are usefull.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:04 pm

The portals feature seems impressive but it's weak. In most cases it's either faster or more convenient to just whistle and get to another flight master. Not only that but in almost all cases taking a portal will require a whistle anyway, adding up both that time and the running time through the hall.
Sturmcantor

Unread postby Sturmcantor Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Quick and good but you should have explain a little more your choice.

Tier1 - Arcane Provenance only work with leveling quest. That's why Frost Nova is better.
Tier2 - Teleportation Nexus will be required for Frost Hidden apparence. An argument for Blink is that it increase the number of missions per day for more gold, champion exp/equipement, etc
Tier3 - resource might be restricted if you don't play a lot, so arnament might be a restriction of some sort were library will reduce resource consumption on the run. Library result in overall increase in success chance because of more flexibility.

Nothing to add for the other. No talent are strickly bad. All are usefull.
Library doesn't reduce resource consumption, since it doesn't make the minions cheaper.
MagusMaximus

Unread postby MagusMaximus Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:32 pm

The portals feature seems impressive but it's weak. In most cases it's either faster or more convenient to just whistle and get to another flight master. Not only that but in almost all cases taking a portal will require a whistle anyway, adding up both that time and the running time through the hall.
Agreed, many of the portal locations are very inconvenient and I often just whistle when I get there anyway. Although the Suramar one is quite nice.
whisperingsage

Unread postby whisperingsage Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:44 am

Suramar is convenient, but I have my hearth set there I dont have to bother with riding out, across the river, and then down the tunnel to get to the portals.
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:22 am

Suramar is convenient, but I have my hearth set there I dont have to bother with riding out, across the river, and then down the tunnel to get to the portals.
Outside of Suramar, I find 2 other portail relatively useful :
- Aszuna. The destination is near the border between Aszuna et Val'sharah, there's no fly near. You can go up the tower to glide on a pretty long range and there's a few WQ near.
- Val'shara. It leave you at Temple of Elune. There's a fly just East and Black Rook is just North West.

The 2 other portals are a lot less useful :
- Highmountain - just in the middle of nowhere. There's very few WQ near, no dungeon near.
- Stormheim - if you love dragon. It's pretty high so it's possible to glide all the way down pretty far.
Reven

Unread postby Reven Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:04 pm

I find the Highmountain teleportation nexus very convenient as well. You can slow fall to the PvP tower after a short ride and a few Rivermane world quests are also very near. You can even glide down to Val'sharath for some WQs or straight to the raid/dungeon entrances.

The only teleportation point that is really at a bad spot is Stormheim. I have set my HS in that zone to cover the different objectives though. I like that both options on that tier are competitive, but I always prefer personal mobility.

About that final upgrade, I don't think a free bonus roll seal is that useful. After all order hall research is done you might need a solid sink for order resources anyway. Besides, being able to do a mission like Darkbrul arena instantly sounds very good to me.
Ash

Unread postby Ash Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Edit: Changed from 3 day to 18 hour CD. I would now recommend Might of Dalaran over Arcane Divination

Tier 5: The tooltip doesn't specify it but Might of Dalaran cannot be used to complete Rare(any blue)/Dungeon/World Boss/Raid WQs. Which makes Arcane Divination a much stronger choice.
Last edited by Ash on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Tier 5: The tooltip doesn't specify it but Might of Dalaran cannot be used to complete Rare(any blue)/Dungeon/World Boss/Raid WQs. Which makes Arcane Divination a much stronger choice.
No. It's more valuable to complete one of the hardest/most lengthy WQs than to give 1k gold or 1k resources or even 2k resources. Hell, I'd give 3-4k+ resources on a main to get some WQs in return in some cases.
Sturmcantor

Unread postby Sturmcantor Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:31 pm

No. It's more valuable to complete one of the hardest/most lengthy WQs than to give 1k gold or 1k resources or even 2k resources. Hell, I'd give 3-4k+ resources on a main to get some WQs in return in some cases.
You can't complete any of the hardest/most lengthy WQs with Might of Dalaran though. Since those are all the rare ones in Suramar.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:01 am

You can't complete any of the hardest/most lengthy WQs with Might of Dalaran though. Since those are all the rare ones in Suramar.
It doesn't matter. To a lot of us it's more valuable to insta-complete something that has important gear or significant AP that would otherwise take 5 to 10 min than to keep 1k gold or 1k resources or even more than that. Time may be limited.
Ash

Unread postby Ash Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:15 am

I would say the majority of players would rather have the gold and or resources then get to skip killing 8 bears every 3 days. The point of my post was to outline that it doesn't allow you to complete any WQ only the most minor of them.

The minority would be those that have a lot of gold and resources but not 5 minutes.
DeathDefier
Global Moderator

Unread postby DeathDefier Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Yeah, without being able to complete blue and higher it seems pretty meh. I chose the free bonus roll because that saves me the time of farming multiple order resource world quests anyway.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:52 pm

It's a weak argument it can't complete bosses. Some of those are the easiest. Most of the time you go there and someone else is helping and you do it in 8 seconds. Among the most lengthy are some pvp ones that can be completed. Imagine having an arena pvp quest that has an important reward and you have 10 minutes before expiration. That's where it's op. 1k resources or gold is nothing compared to that opportunity.
Makz

Unread postby Makz Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Is there any word on Followers equipment? Similar to how the shipyard was, to guarantee highest success on missions, etc.? I know the followers are sorted already, but I am wondering about which follower should get +20% success on over/under 8hours, etc.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Is there any word on Followers equipment? Similar to how the shipyard was, to guarantee highest success on missions, etc.? I know the followers are sorted already, but I am wondering about which follower should get +20% success on over/under 8hours, etc.
A few obvious choice :
Archmage Vargoth - bonus with Tirisgarde Apprentise/Kirin-tor invoker
Archmage Modera - bonus with Water Elemental/Arcane Golem
Millhouse - bonus if more than 8h
Esara Verrinde - speedboost/bonus if less than 4h.
shvndrgn

Unread postby shvndrgn Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:28 pm

It's a weak argument it can't complete bosses. Some of those are the easiest. Most of the time you go there and someone else is helping and you do it in 8 seconds. Among the most lengthy are some pvp ones that can be completed. Imagine having an arena pvp quest that has an important reward and you have 10 minutes before expiration. That's where it's op. 1k resources or gold is nothing compared to that opportunity.
Unless I'm missing something, I wasn't able to use the crystal on PvP quests. The crystal is really limited and makes me wish I'd picked the free seal. I haven't even started my 2 legendary research because farming up 15k resources sounds completely awful.
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:25 am

The crystal has now a cooldown of 18h instead of 3 day.
It make it more useful.
I use it for WQ that require time, have a lot of RNG in it or that are on the other side of the zone.

For people like me who play a couple of hours per day, not even every day, it's god like.
Khiria

Unread postby Khiria Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:14 am

Unless I'm missing something, I wasn't able to use the crystal on PvP quests. The crystal is really limited and makes me wish I'd picked the free seal. I haven't even started my 2 legendary research because farming up 15k resources sounds completely awful.
Crystal works on PvP WQ, and you gain Honor in addition to the reward.
Khiria - Frost Mage - EU-Medivh - Alliance

Return to “General Discussion”