Combat Ally

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Spirillum

Combat Ally

Unread postby Spirillum Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:42 pm

I received an item from my Withered Army training that provides 50g per WQ completed while the Champion is assigned as a Combat Ally. (Potion of Triton IIRC, posting from phone)

Archmage Vargoth gives a 1hr damage buff and is summomable every 5 minutes.

I had been using the frost mage (Modera) but her damage only ever accounted for 3-5% of my own. I tried increasing her ilvl by 50 and didn't notice any difference as a Combat Ally.

Hopefully this helps some mages decide how to assign their champions.

I'm also using:
Archmage Modera
Archmage Kalec
Meryl Felstorm
Esara Verrinde

There was a post on Reddit showing optimal Champions for each class, but doesn't account for a combat ally. If you're doing plenty of world quests per day on a main as I am, the 50g (or 100 at epic, they're not unique items) adds up.
Foxmikelima

Re: Combat Ally

Unread postby Foxmikelima Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:03 am

Kalec's proc is pretty awesome, but I've typically been running Modera. Even just her slows and crowd control tend to be useful, and she does help with bursting down high HP mobs. I've noticed that with the smaller mobs she tends to not get casts off before they die, so that may be why the damage is so low via your damage meters.
Acaila

Unread postby Acaila Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:36 am

Modera not only slows, but her nova (procs after she hits 2-3 times) does not break on damage which makes it really handy for kiting WQ rares.
Vagar

Unread postby Vagar Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:18 am

Vargoth all the way. 20% flat damage is huge.
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:38 am

For the best combat ally, there's a few pro/cons for each of them.

Millhouse is most epic and his damage are pretty good.
Modera can control mob. Don't forget : frozen mob = crit as a frost mage.
Kalec do good damage and dragon are always epic.
Vargoth is clearly the best here.

My question : is there really a point in having a Champion as a Combat Ally instead of doing mission ?
Order Ressource isn't very difficult to obtain.
Gold per WQ is always good but you need blue quality or better to be really worth.

I would like that Dev add more interaction with them as Combat Ally : like small bonus, special WQ, or give them an item for a random loot instead of OR or gold
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
alia

Unread postby alia Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:12 pm

Have you guys discovered that if you have Vargoth assigned as a combat ally, the follower equipment that allows for bonus gold on completion of WQs doesn't work?
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Have you guys discovered that if you have Vargoth assigned as a combat ally, the follower equipment that allows for bonus gold on completion of WQs doesn't work?
it do work.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
alia

Unread postby alia Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 pm

Just closing the loop here, I'm running with Vargoth using a 15 gold and 50 resources equip on WQ complete. Vargoth is awesome because I play on a mostly horde realm cluster (like 80% at level cap) and get attacked all the time. Running around as a Fire Mage with a 20% damage bonus is amazing, and with RoP for burst and then kiting I can solo almost all world elites.

The rest of my team is Esara, Arcane Destoryer, Meryl and Kalec. This allows me to be sure to counter all available effects with decent bonuses (with the completion bonus equip).

Question for you guys - are you continuing to collect follower ilvl upgrades even once your team is 850? I'm assuming at some point the follower ilevel will increase past 850. At this point I haven't unlocked the 2 Legendary ability to spending resources on follower ilvl gear seems like a waste. I only have one legendary (Prydaz...hooray) but want to be prepped for the glorious return of RNGesus.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:37 am

I get the impression lately that as we gear up most mobs die like paste in WQs anyway, I rarely bother to eat or flask anymore, so it might be more beneficial to pack them with mission-table boosts rather than WQ boosts because they are limited anyway and the combat allies will usually be needed on missions.

Return to “General Discussion”