Sept 23 Hotfix Discussion Thread

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Shangalar

Re: Sept 23 Hotfix Discussion Thread

Unread postby Shangalar Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:32 pm

@Nurf - that would mean that the default profile thinks you should get some more Mastery (max mana and mana regen) to be able to properly execute everything it wants to do in the burn/conserve phases for max output. The profile doesn't really think, obviously, but I'm always focused on descriptive, rather than prescriptive explanations.

On the other hand, for my current gear the sims show that with my current haste/mastery balance I should probably get some more versatility for more output.

Haste and Mastery play off of each other in a significant way and adjusting one or the other through your gear can greatly impact how much of the other one you currently need (depending on talent choices of course). If Mastery and Haste are in an appropriate balance, the sim might push you to get more versatility and crit for pure damage output. It's never as easy as "get more of x".

Obviously, we should also wait for the APLs to be fully updated in the coming days/weeks before making any conclusions.
Babsy

Unread postby Babsy Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 am

Do we have any idea when to expect an updated APL? Wish I knew how to do more with sims as I would like to fiddle with arcane. That being said all I am doing right now is playing the rotation and trying to get used to it again in the event of arcane master race once again. (which I expect, quite frankly, once the gear is updated).
Rydis

Unread postby Rydis Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Is the consensus to stay Fire? Im curious as I have been banking a lot of AP to consider swapping to Arcane.
probably, unless you want to start over on artifact power farming again.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Is the consensus to stay Fire? Im curious as I have been banking a lot of AP to consider swapping to Arcane.
probably, unless you want to start over on artifact power farming again.
There are various reasons that make it wrong to switch. The grind will take about 2 weeks to reach arcane on the same level. Further than that, Legendaries are spec specific in part so they are locking people into the same spec as a general concept. On top of that particular fact, devs are cornered to not screw people over with their spec choices by design, and they have stated it openly themselves too. They even went as far to say clearly that fire will remain above. Ion did claim that he may make Arcane slightly higher on ST, but I believe that's a very weak attribute for arcane right now. It's very weak because a) Fire can burst almost like an arcane, especially with Kindling making the CD almost the same as Arcane's or smaller, but most importantly b) Fire is just more convenient to play in almost every content compared to Arcane, especially when complex target switching is needed and I think all those reasons combined make arcane just weaker as a choice, especially if you started with fire. I don't even count frost because the way it's designed, it doesn't have burst mechanics (of merit) and its aoe is lower.
LaplaceNoMa

Unread postby LaplaceNoMa Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:55 am

I don't really understand what's going on in this thread.

Almost like the patch notes I read is completely different from the ones you guys read.

The ones I read indicate a clear nerf to arcane (which also seems to be backed up by initial simming in the arcane subforum) and a clear buff to frost. Yet here we are, discussing whether to 'switch to arcane'.

...seriously?
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:56 am

Why are you commenting on a hotfix discussion thread from a month ago?

Thread locked.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!

Return to “General Discussion”