Player's Guide to What's OP in 7.1.5

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Rikx

Player's Guide to What's OP in 7.1.5

Unread postby Rikx Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:53 pm

~ Player's Guide to What's OP in 7.1.5 ~

It's the New Year, and Nighthold is around the corner. And with it, 7.1.5 and all the changes it brings. Many a player has been asking, "What spec do I play in 7.1.5? What should I set my loot spec to? What's the new OP? How can I best contribute to my raid?"

Well fellow players, with Nighthold right around the bend, now is probably the best time to reveal some simulations I've been running. I only need to ask you to do two things:

DON'T PANIC. READ CAREFULLY.

That's it. Just those two things. There'll be a lot of text explaining what happened (and why) so before you post asking "But why is XYZ so low and ABC so high!?"... it'll most likely be answered in the post already.

Now without further ado, let's get into some information!

PTR Notes

Compilation of 7.1.5 PTR changes (the unofficial patch notes)

This link is for reviewing just what's changed and what hasn't. This post would be long enough if I detailed all of that, and thankfully someone's done it already, so feel free to read what Wowhead has compiled instead.

There are some other... well, they aren't changes in the code, but rather natural side effects of the times we're going into that we have to keep in consideration. Those things involve Artifact Knowledge. That's right, we're hitting AK25, people are starting to max out their chosen weapons.

As a side-effect of maxing out your weapon (getting all 54 points into it) however, Potion of Prolonged Power closes in on Deadly Grace. For situations where it's not purely ST, Prolonged Power edges out Deadly Grace. For situations where it's purely ST, Prolonged Power is still beating Deadly Grace for Frost and Fire, when Fire is using Mirror Image.

To put it a little clearer,
Multiple Adds: PP.
Frost & Fire(MI): PP.
Fire(RoP) & Arcane: DG

In addition, stat sticks (i.e. trinkets that have no damage proc, but only have flat stats on them) are very often more damage than damage proc trinkets. This may change however, as I can't imagine Blizzard really wanting most of their trinkets to be trash just because you have 15% more damage in your chosen element.

Last but not least, Mark of the Hidden Satyr may not be the best dps enchant for necklace. Test out the different enchants for yourselves, because I personally haven't yet, and whatever is the best all depends on many many factors.

Simulations

Now I'm going to put up some simulations. Before you click on any of those spoiler buttons, I want you to keep in mind that simulations are not perfect. But even though they're not 100%, I think it's still useful to look at what it spits out because it might be on to something.

Remember, simulations are not the final word, they are just a good beginning.

Now, unless stated otherwise, every sim is using the 4-set bonus from Nighthold, and roughly 890 item level. (I know, I know, NH gear starts at 900, but I wanted to give people a sense of what their dps should look going into Nighthold)

Single Target with Paired Legendaries
Spoiler:
Profile used: http://pastebin.com/GXY91uqr" target="_blank
WHAT DOES THIS RESULT MEAN?
It's an uninterrupted fight, so Frost sims really high with an IV that never ends early.

Gravity Spiral for Arcane probably ought to be higher but I don't believe the APL handles it any differently, unlike players on live who can have a greatly extended burn phase. How much higher it ought to be, I don't know.

For Fire, Shard of Exodar, Koralon's and Marquee are all really strong. Pyrotex looks kinda trash, but that might just be an issue of how it's handled internally.

Realistically, everyone looks relatively close to each other on single target and with the right legendaries.
Single Target with Random Adds
Spoiler:
Profile used: http://pastebin.com/dSLAKaMU" target="_blank
It means the APLs aren't set up to "save" certain cooldowns for adds.

Which, y'know, may be useful or not. Sometimes you can plan ahead for adds, sometimes you can't. And if you can't, Arcane does really well because Arcane Explosion is always available and its AoE ramp-up is really really fast.

Also Frost is still good at cleaving. So Arcane will have bigger overall numbers and kill the adds quicker, but Frost will have higher damage on the boss while AoEing.
Single Target without Random Adds
Spoiler:
Profile used: http://pastebin.com/XgtZHnpA" target="_blank
Arcane APL is weird and needs some help, is what it means. There's no real change in evocation usage by the sim going fro 2 piece to 4 piece. Still, even with that oddity Arcane does a really good job on damage.

This also shows that legendaries are (still) really important for Fire ST. Just by themselves, Marquee Shard and Koralon's boost overall dps by at least 40k, and with two of those then you're back in the competition for ST. Darckli's may be so low because of swapping away from Flame On to Alexstrasza's Fury.

Frost is simming high, but again this is an uninterrupted fight.
AoE with 4 enemies
Spoiler:
Profile used: http://pastebin.com/ApJEnyCZ" target="_blank
Everyone's AoE is actually pretty close, which is very heartening for people wanting to take their favorite spec into dungeons. SimC fixing Flame Patch stacking may move Fire quite a bit higher with FP, but with Living Bomb everyone's pretty equal. Also good luck getting your tank to keep mobs in Flame Patch.

Frost also has a very large variation in aoe damage.
AoE with 10 enemies
Spoiler:
Profile used: http://pastebin.com/1Xp6jizh" target="_blank
If Frost wants to do serious AoE, get Ice Time. Also a lot of AoE damage from Frost comes from Splitting Ice (which actually is cleave, but you need something to do inbetween Frozen Orb and Blizzard), so there's a pretty high Priority Target damage. Frost also has a very large variation in aoe damage.

Surprisingly Pyrotex starts doing really well for Fire on long sustained AoE, probably due to extra combusts. Otherwise Darckli is the legendary for increased AoE on Fire, unsurprisingly.

Arcane isn't nearly as high up, but it still does pretty well for itself. Effectively, 2.2m isn't that much of a difference from 2.6m, there's just not any particular legendary that makes AoE on large amounts of enemies great for Arcane. There really isn't any difference between legendaries because for AoE, the APL is simply AEx4 -> AB, which is pretty mana conservative without kilt, and with kilt is mana neutral
How Valuable Set Pieces Are
Loot Council and GMs, this one's for you.
Spoiler:
Profile used: http://pastebin.com/Ac9hJBhe" target="_blank
The sim suggests that 2 piece is stronger for Frost and Arcane, while 4 piece is stronger for Fire.

Arcane's 4-piece quite possibly has an error with it. There's a very good chance it's a higher dps value than what's shown.

The presence of legendaries don't appear to drastically change the value of the set pieces.
Info about the sims
Spoiler:
Pandaren was selected just because the racial bonus would be the least significant, and yet equally applicable.

No active trinkets or damage proc trinkets are used.

Item level is roughly 890, and the weapon is around 902. Intellect is kept at a flat 30k despite any gear changing, and secondaries are strictly budgeted to 24k total.

Kil'jaeden's Wish was showing pretty lackluster results on these specific sims because most of its strength comes from being a stat stick. The on-use apparently isn't something to shout about, but because I was keeping a static intellect and secondaries, it wasn't going to shine even though the stats are quite nice.

Fire used 3 Ignite relics. This might be able to be improved, not sure, but it should be just as good for ST as it is for AoE. Talent spec is Conflagration, Rune of Power, Flame On, Living Bomb and Cinderstorm, except when Darckli's is equipped in which case Alexstrasza's Fury was used instead of Flame On.

Frost used 3 Ice Lance damage relics. Talent spec is Lonely Winter, Incanter's Flow, Splitting Ice, Frost Bomb, Thermal Void. And yes, Splitting Ice is strangely better than Ice Nova for AoE. Perhaps not for burst aoe like in dungeons, but for the long drawn-out fights it looks that way.

Arcane used 3 Arcane Missile proc relics. This might be able to be improved. Perhaps Overpowered length instead, not sure. Talent spec is Amplification, Slipstream, Rune of Power, Resonance, Erosion, Overpowered.

TL;DR:
There's no clear-cut answer. Sims are never 100% accurate, BUT it's looking like each spec has their niche. So if you have really nice legendaries for your favorite spec, keep playing it!

And until 7.1.5 comes, keep every decent ilevel piece of gear you come across, no matter the secondaries, and don't bother hoarding AP until AK24.

And a fellow theorycrafter noted: "tl;dr OP legendary items make fire/frost strong. Nothing new there. FO/Blizzard interaction made frost an AoE juggernaut - extent of DPS gain is interesting, but not surprising."

FAQ (read first before posting)
Q: Does this mean the talents you use are the best?
A: No. I picked talents that are, as far as I could math out, the best for both ST and AoE. You can get some more ST damage or AoE damage if you build differently, but the other side would suffer for it.

Q: Why'd you post stuff if you think the APL is wrong?
A: Because I don't think it's massively wrong. And because a bajillion people keep asking what's the new OP and I'm tired of it. So this is a start. Hopefully we'll get better, more accurate APLs from people smarter than me.

Q: I have an improvement on Arcane/Fire/Frost
A: That's nice. Unless it's an improvement on the APL, I'm not likely to change anything. There's a reason for this: You can't realistically change relics fight to fight, and you can't change talents in m+. So I tried to stick with stuff that was best for both AoE AND ST. To be fair, some of the secondaries could be swapped around between ST and AoE for Fire to simulate swapping gear, but the net dps gain was only something like 9k for ST on fire.

Q: I have an improvement on the Arcane/Fire/Frost APL!
A: Oh... sweet. I'll run it and if it's better, I'll update the post with it.

Q: Does this mean Frost is the new OP??
A: Sweet Baby Ray's, did you read nothing? No, it's not the new OP. It's just simming very well. Arcane probably ought to do quite a bit higher because the APL looks like it's doing odd stuff, but Fire isn't /gkick terrible ST either with the right legendaries, and it's still very solid for AoE. Remember, Fire AoE is exponential thanks to Living Bomb, so the more there is, the more Fire will do!

A fellow theorycrafter notes: "Playing TV frost is fucking hard. I would strongly consider how good you actually are at the game before you go down that road."

Remember, the sim is playing it "perfectly". If you mess up TV, you get punished pretty hard, and that can be really difficult when you're learning a new fight, and if there are significant breaks in the fight then dps drops pretty quick. Don't be fooled by big numbers in a sim.

Q: I thought Arcane was the new OP...
A: Yeah, so did I. It's probably still really strong, it's just really awkward to model the right way to handle mana given all the various different amount of mana regen people have. We're working on it, there's something odd with it.

Q: Is Fire dead?
A: Kindling certainly looks that way. So now you need to start aiming Cinderstorm or Meteor. If you have pretty solid legendaries your ST is still looking respectable.

Q: I don't have any of the good legendaries for Fire. Should I switch?
A: Depends. This winds up being a personal question. Do you need this for raiding, for questing, or for m+? Fire AoE is still good in m+ especially at lower levels where you can pull massively. And in raiding, a lot of the fights reportedly have lots of adds, so Fire will do well on those as well. The ST fights, however... with all the testing that's been done, without the really good legendaries Fire falls behind Frost and Arcane on ST.

I'm not going to tell you yes or no to switching, because ultimately the choice is up to you and what you enjoy playing. That said, because people won't accept that answer, I'll just say that personally if I were in the situation of having no legendaries for fire and stuck between arcane/fire, I'd go arcane until at least 4 piece NH set and set my loot spec on fire unless I found out I really enjoyed playing Arcane. But currently I like Frost and I'm going with it, so it's a moot point.

As for what to spend your AP on, with AK25 you're going to be swimming in AP so getting to level 54 on your weapon won't be that hard.

Q: I have (some dps legendary like Shard) and (some utility legendary like Prydaz). What do?
A: Assume your utilitary legendary doesn't exist, then look at every other sim besides the paired legendary sim. Then maybe inflate the dps up maybe a thousand for the increased item level from the utility legendary. There you go, now you know.

Q: I meant what do I do about my spec, you lousy jerk!
A: The same thing as I typed before with the guy who has no good legendaries for fire.

Q: TV or GS for Frost in 7.1.5?
A: TV sims higher especially with legendaries, but GS probably will be easier. And if you mess up TV your dps will plummet. But GS isn't going to do near that much damage without 54 in your weapon. So make of it what you will.

Q: Why isn't Flame Patch + Flamestrike talked about more?
A: Because it'll probably get nerfed super hard and disappear. If it's not nerfed super hard in the first couple of weeks, enjoy pulling some ridiculous damage if you spend the time farming 3 flamestrike relics and if the tank keeps the mobs in the patch.

Q: Are you that famous mage, Rikh?
A: No.

Special thanks to Frosted, Potaetoe, Shmahha, Norrinir and Deathdefier for their help
Changelog:

Code: Select all

v1.1.1 (4 Jan 2017) - Fixed info on PP vs DG. Previously claimed PP was superior in every situation, and I was wrong! v1.1.0 (1 Jan 2017) - Flattened intellect and secondary stats on legendary pairwise sim, and forced every sim to 30k int and 24k secondaries. Removed Wish and Zann'esu from sims as they're bugged. v1.0.5 (1 Jan 2017) - Changed Fire talents to RoP/CiS, fixed AoE sims. v1.0.4 (1 Jan 2017) - Fixed some text, removed legendaries from set piece comparison, fixed stuff. v1.0.3 (1 Jan 2017) - Added some text, re-ran some sims v1.0.2 (1 Jan 2017) - Additional FAQ answer (a pertinent question) v1.0.1 (1 Jan 2017) - Fixed picture on 10 enemy AoE sim. v1.0 (1 Jan 2017) - Initial version
Last edited by Rikx on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Covery

Re: Player's Guide to What's OP in 7.1.5

Unread postby Covery Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks a lot for these sims !

These sims are showing frost best in ST with right legs and also best in AoE with the new leg (surprising) ..
So basically.. with every legs.. frost is better everywhere :lol:
Rikx

Unread postby Rikx Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Those numbers from the sim are assuming a high TV uptime. If, for whatever reason you can't have IV up for a long time...

Also we're working on Arcane right now.
Reapermagnum

Unread postby Reapermagnum Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Can you explain the reasoning behind using mirror image for fire sims? Is the rune of power nerf really that substantial or did something else happen on ptr that I just missed. Great job though it is nice to see all the Sims in one place! Just wondering for fire.
Rikx

Unread postby Rikx Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:44 pm

MI got buffed quite a bit. Rune of Power is still good, but IIRC the only thing that beats MI/CiS in single target is RoP/Meteor. And I wanted to keep the same spec between ST and AoE, so I went with MI/CiS.
DeathDefier
Global Moderator

Unread postby DeathDefier Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:33 am

Can you explain the reasoning behind using mirror image for fire sims? Is the rune of power nerf really that substantial or did something else happen on ptr that I just missed. Great job though it is nice to see all the Sims in one place! Just wondering for fire.
With the default profile (no legendaries) MI/CiS is the best combination. As soon as you add legendaries (bracers most likely), RoP takes over and Meteor edges out CiS by a little on ST. Obviously on anything other than ST, CiS would be better due to meteor splitting.
Covery

Unread postby Covery Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 am

Did anyone through sims has found the crit value necessary to get kindling siming better than CiS ?
Mage

Unread postby Mage Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:04 am

With the default profile (no legendaries) MI/CiS is the best combination. As soon as you add legendaries (bracers most likely), RoP takes over
This is not the case for me, MI sims higher than RoP with bracers by 5k DPS.
Rikx

Unread postby Rikx Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:32 am

Did anyone through sims has found the crit value necessary to get kindling siming better than CiS ?
I don't believe that breakpoint exists. Also Kindling appears to have a tendency to make people go out of mana, thanks to Combustion being 110k mana.
DeathDefier
Global Moderator

Unread postby DeathDefier Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:02 am

With the default profile (no legendaries) MI/CiS is the best combination. As soon as you add legendaries (bracers most likely), RoP takes over
This is not the case for me, MI sims higher than RoP with bracers by 5k DPS.
Not sure what the variable is then. For me RoP beats out MI by about 5k as well with both meteor and CiS.
Fave

Unread postby Fave Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 pm

How you came around with 54 traits? Whats the meaning of that?
Telomir

Unread postby Telomir Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:22 pm

I have 54 traits and I've been running multiple M+ and did a few raids. DG > PP for me. Curious as to how you came to the conclusion that at 14.5% additional damage, that PP suddenly overtakes PP. Talking about fire in this case.
Fave

Unread postby Fave Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:30 pm

54 traits, you mean that paragon level? I fucking read the first time of that
EDIT: k, now Im enlightened. Didnt know I can multiple times click on the 5% trait...
Krychlik

Unread postby Krychlik Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Would it be possible to clarify table 1 and 3?

As I see it, for example fire is 459k with shard, 484k with bracers, 501k with both. So far so good, makes sense.

Now, same thing with frost. 561k bracers, 567k with shard, 559k with both, decrease to having either of them despite each legendary being increase by itself. Something funky going on here or I am misunderstanding both tables.
Rikx

Unread postby Rikx Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:09 am

Human error. Somehow the updated stats didn't get carried over. Fixed it now.
Shoron

Unread postby Shoron Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:52 am

Thanks a lot for these sims! Still not sure where to spend my bunkered ap though :D
Any ideas concerning stat weights? still roughly the same as before?

I suppose Rune will sim better with the Sinew Trinket (might be very strong for arcane with overpower too). What I dont get is why MI is simmed higher for aoe for fire? I mean they don't use aoe spells .... or did you just take MI to find the balance between st and aoe, with MI beeing the st part and cs the aoe part of the talents?
DeathDefier
Global Moderator

Unread postby DeathDefier Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:33 am

Any ideas concerning stat weights? still roughly the same as before?
Download the latest nightly simcraft and you can get your characters weights for 7.1.5. Just make sure to swap to appropriate talents.
Haruichi

Unread postby Haruichi Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks a lot for these sims! Still not sure where to spend my bunkered ap though :D
I felt the same way. The post doesn't provide that answer, of course, and nor should it. For each their own decision and all that.

These are my subjective take-aways (I may well have misunderstood or misread certain sims or place too much weight on certain findings) from the extremely helpful work done by Rikx:

Frost sims highest for single target. So, if you 1) like Frost, 2) got the legendaries for it and 3) prioritize single target damage, it's pretty safe to spend stocked AP on Frost.

Frost sim values, however, are highly influenced by high IV uptimes that may be dificult to achieve in a raid setting. And if you can't acheive those IV uptimes, you'll be far from the sim'ed values. As such, Arcane could very well be close to or overtake Frost on single target dps in a raid setting. So, if you 1) like Arcane, 2) have the legendaries for it and 3) prioritize single target damage, it's pretty safe to spend stocked AP on Arcane.

Fire can compete with Frost and Arcane on single target dps. But BIS legendaries are a must for that to happen and you will still have your work cut out for you. As such, spend your stocked up AP on Fire if you 1) decidedly prefer Fire to anything else, 2) have BIS legendaries OR 3) prioritize AOE damage highly.

Speaking of AOE, Fire does seem to have an edge (4 and 10 add sims), but it isn't much of an edge, and there are likely plenty of AOE/Cleave scenarios where both Frost and Arcane could be extremely close to or even better than Fire.

So, even if you prioritize AOE damage, it's probably pretty safe to spend stocked AP on Frost or Arcane if you 1) like either of those specs and 2) have appropriate legendaries for it.

Those were my general take-aways, and applied to my own situation:

1) I have a slight preference for Fire.
2) I have the Fire bracers as my only legendary.
3) I'm a keen min-max'er and even if I like Fire, I'd be annoyed playing it if Frost or Arcane could yield better results.
4) I believe that even with the bracers, I'd get better results with Frost and Arcane on ST and I'd likely just spec fire for AOE heavy encounters.
5) The Frost rotation feels clunky to me.
6) I'm not sure that I'm a good enough player to execute the IV uptimes required for Frost to be as much of a frontrunner as sims make it out to be.
7) The Arcane rotation can also be unforgiving, but if it's messed up, I'll only have myself to blame and not as much RNG (as in not getting FOF/BF procs to help extend your IV).

Because of the above, I'm spending AP on and have my loot preference set to Arcane.
Last edited by Haruichi on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:13 pm

-snip-
Your breakdown mirrors my own thoughts on this. If you got lucky with Fire legendary items, it's very strong and a no brainer to stick with going into NH. Without them though, Arcane is probably your best bet.
dabsence

Unread postby dabsence Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Hey all- looking for a little insight into my situation. Currently have Fire bracers, Prydaz, Belo'vir, and norgannon's foresight. I have 36 points in fire and 35 in arcane and 880-885 equipped for both specs. My question is weather i will be better off continuing to go for a second fire legendary, or going for 2 arcane legendaries? I enjoy both specs and eventually want to play both, but my concern in progression in the meantime, already being behind with utility legendaries

Return to “General Discussion”