Mythic Avatar Fire vs Frost?

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Julia

Mythic Avatar Fire vs Frost?

Unread postby Julia Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:18 pm

So hey people!
My first post here :)

I thought it was fitting to discuss fire vs frost for fallen avatar on mythic since we killed it last night.
At the start of our progression we had 3 fire mages but slowly each of us were swapped to frost.
Mostly because our maiden cleave was just way to high. Even with one fire mage.
This is probably because of the 7.3 buffs and the fact we were a lot more geared for fire near the end than start but still.

What I noticed is that whilst playing fire that I had a lot easier time doing the mechanics and moving about whilst with frost my damage I had a lot of nice utility for 2nd phase (The double iceblock mainly + the ice barrier big absorb)

The damage done to Avatar himself was a little higher for frost mage than for fire but too little to make any real argument.

So what do you think? With the new 7.3 buffs, has fire become to powerful in its cleave for avatar? Or atleast so powerful that you need to build your raid team around it? When you are progressing it, or when you progressed it, what do you play? Fire or frost?

(Kill video of my frost POV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SZMg0iB5IU
--

Julia

Discord: 🦄Julia🦄#9860
WoW: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... jul%C3%ADa
Jezrien

Re: Mythic Avatar Fire vs Frost?

Unread postby Jezrien Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:59 pm

It's hard to find out what answers you want because seems like you already gave it by yourself. If you cleave maiden too fast, so she died before relevant avatar hp then there are 2 options: a) switch to frost which doesn't have any substential and uncontrolled cleave; b) stop your dps...
Canonic

Unread postby Canonic Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:06 pm

I haven't done the fight yet on mythic (soon though), so if that disqualifies my response just ignore it.

After doing tons of research and watching top end streamers daily, I have a hard time believing that a fire mages cleave is too much for this fight. There must have been some other cleavage happening. Some of those streamers have multiple fire mages as well, and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm glad you killed it, so keep doing what you are doing, but if you prefer fire, I would do some research on what else might be happening.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:49 am

We had a similar cleave issue on Mistress. Turned out Boomie and Ret were whoring...
nirdana

Unread postby nirdana Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 am

For what i can tell after first week of our progress on this boss, the fire cleaves a lot, but it can also be reduced by the amount of mastery you have. With decent low mastery even arms warrior cleaves more than you.
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:58 pm

We had a similar cleave issue on Mistress. Turned out Boomie and Ret were whoring...
I saw a lot of guilds stopping their dps at some time point to avoid shitty situations.
callMeEars

Unread postby callMeEars Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:22 am

This isn't really a question that needs a long answer. Frost and Fire both do very similar boss damage. If you need less cleave then Frost is better. If you need more cleave then Fire is better. I don't believe boss damage or mobility concerns have significant enough differences to favour one spec above the other. There's a few other aspects where in my opinion Frost has an advantage but nothing more important than getting the amount of Maiden cleave correct without having to stop damage.
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:27 am

Just to be honest. Frost just recently reached Fire's damage here so it could compensate the movement thing where fire is good and frost is idling.

Return to “General Discussion”