An Introductory (for now) Guide to SimulationCraft

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Universetube

Re: An Introductory (for now) Guide to SimulationCraft

Unread postby Universetube Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:55 pm

Wait is spell power still a thing... Is that even a stat that can be on items anymore?
murk00

SimulationCraft newbie first results and question

Unread postby murk00 Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:33 pm

So I setup simcraft with pawn, and here are my stats and how they are rated.

Scale Factors for Frozencold Damage Per Second
Crit Int SP Haste Vers Mastery
Scale Factors 9.72 8.54 8.20 7.92 7.37 6.20
Normalized 1.14 1.00 0.96 0.93 0.86 0.73
Scale Deltas 1138 1138 1138 1138 1138 1138
Error 0.32 0.32 0.32 0.32 0.32 0.32
Gear Ranking wowhead
Optimizers askmrrobot
Ranking Crit > Int > SP ~= Haste > Vers > Mastery

I am curious why versatility is higher that mastery when the guides say otherwise. Is that just because of my gear that is equipped currently?

Also under the global settings I see that you guys selected the length to run to 450 secs instead of the defualt 300 secs. If you set that to 450 sec it actually bumps versatility even above haste. So should I run my sims at 300secs or 450? and are these accurate readings?
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:36 am

There is no right or wrong duration; you should simulate what you want to encounter, not what others do. It's popular to do single target on 300sec or 450sec but all kinds of different setups are useful. e.g. a very long or short fight, a 2 target fight, a fight that spawns an add every few seconds.

PS. You didn't say what spec that is.
Xafi

Unread postby Xafi Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello guys, I have a question, hope someone can help me out. I would like to Sim for multiple targets, but i have no idea how to do it...do I just set the number of enemies to the value I'm looking for, or do I have to change the fighting style also? As a Fire mage I'm really interested in that, for making gearing descisions.
Zulandia
Global Moderator

Unread postby Zulandia Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Setting the number of targets is sufficient (whether you do it with raid events or through the options). The fight styles are just sets of raid events themselves (Some combination of movement/adds/casts/immunities/stuns etc.). The specifics of which are detailed on the wiki https://github.com/simulationcraft/simc ... cut-syntax" target="_blank
Makz

Unread postby Makz Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:38 pm

I have always wondered this, but is it possible to hardcode the actual bosses into a sim? You can estimate based on the raid DPS when adds will die, you could set how favorable the conditions will be(aka how often would you be targeted by a mechanic, hi/lo frequency), actual strategy(some bosses might have adds but you tank the adds away, e.g. Tich), etc.

Ofc you will assume a lot of things like perfect execution of raid DPS, boss dying in exact time, etc. Is this actually possible or would it be too complicated?
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
Andrestes

Unread postby Andrestes Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 am

I have always wondered this, but is it possible to hardcode the actual bosses into a sim? You can estimate based on the raid DPS when adds will die, you could set how favorable the conditions will be(aka how often would you be targeted by a mechanic, hi/lo frequency), actual strategy(some bosses might have adds but you tank the adds away, e.g. Tich), etc.

Ofc you will assume a lot of things like perfect execution of raid DPS, boss dying in exact time, etc. Is this actually possible or would it be too complicated?
It's a simulation, so it's up to you. Do you want to spend the time trying to mimic blizzard's code so that your boss is executing its abilities at game level? Like Zulandia said, you could generate a long list of raid events to approximate a boss.
dvd

Unread postby dvd Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 am

As I mentioned above, those red bars are your error. What they mean is that the real average for our scale factors is somewhere in between those bars. The 2.04 and 1.96 is an average, but may not be the real average. Because math. Instead, the real average is 2.04 +/- 0.05 and 1.96 +/- 0.05 (the Error given on the numerical display for scale weights). If these ranges overlap (the red bars overlap), we cannot say they are any different from one another. Unfortunately, they do overlap! So we actually don't know if crit > mastery, or crit = mastery, or crit < mastery. We solve this problem by increasing the number of iterations the sim runs with - which will have the effect of lowering our error, and given us a better read out of the true value for these scale factors. So let's re-run our scale factors, but with 25000 iterations this time instead of 10000.
This alone is the most important section of the guide. If don't known how to read the results don't try to sim. or interpret others people sim.
As exercise read this quote again and interpret last sim. report (http://simulationcraft.org/reports/T20_Raid.html)
Just to scare more of you this article shows how dangerous these error bars/confidence/ w/e can be. (https://www.autodeskresearch.com/publications/samestats)

Best guide I found so far GJ OP

Return to “General Discussion”