The role of versatility in WoD?

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Hendrikto

The role of versatility in WoD?

Unread postby Hendrikto Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Hello fellow mages,

I've noticed that versatility is currently valued extremely high by many specs. Any insight on why that is? It seems to be 100% contrary about what I recall Blizz saying about the role of versatility as a way to make your toon (specifically hybrids)... well... more versatile. I remember a statement that was something like "Nobody will want to stack versatility. It's rather something to boost your toon when playing offspec." or something along those lines. That does not seem to be the case anymore.
Does anyone know anything about that? Especially because it also boosts your offspec and reduces damage taken, I am concerned that specs who value versatility higher will be the better choice to bring to raids over those who value secondaries higher, which don't give you that passive buff.
Frosted

Re: The role of versatility in WoD?

Unread postby Frosted Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Hello fellow mages,

I've noticed that versatility is currently valued extremely high by many specs. Any insight on why that is? It seems to be 100% contrary about what I recall Blizz saying about the role of versatility as a way to make your toon (specifically hybrids)... well... more versatile. I remember a statement that was something like "Nobody will want to stack versatility. It's rather something to boost your toon when playing offspec." or something along those lines. That does not seem to be the case anymore.
Does anyone know anything about that? Especially because it also boosts your offspec and reduces damage taken, I am concerned that specs who value versatility higher will be the better choice to bring to raids over those who value secondaries higher, which don't give you that passive buff.
What? Versatility is valued extremely low by most classes / specs.
Hendrikto

Unread postby Hendrikto Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Well, according to IcyVeins which has repeatedly been pushed as a "relatively reliable" source on this forum, versatility is the second best stat for Frost Mages, BM and Survival for example.
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:00 pm

The question is level 90 or level 100.
At level 90, it's a very good stat because all other are "capped", etc. And every bit of versatility is a bigger gain than most stat. If we already have some Versatility on our gear, it's value would have been different.

At level 100, when Versatility is better than most other stat, it show a scaling problem. Comet Storm is a good example. With Ice Nova and Incanter's Flow, Versatility is good because Haste and Mastery value is lower than with other talent choice.
But Versatility is a good stat because it increase all spell's damage in the same fashion. It's just that its rating (conversion from gear to %) decrease it value. It's a design choice to not make it the best stat for any class. But Blizzard never say it shouldn't be a good stat, or that it shouldn't be the second best stat.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
Hendrikto

Unread postby Hendrikto Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:13 pm

[...]Blizzard never say it shouldn't be a good stat, or that it shouldn't be the second best stat.
Pretty sure they did.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Well, according to IcyVeins which has repeatedly been pushed as a "relatively reliable" source on this forum, versatility is the second best stat for Frost Mages, BM and Survival for example.
Icy Veins is currently offering information for level 90s. At level 90, since we have 0 versatility outside of the raid buff, its value is heavily inflated when compared to the other secondary stats which have been stacked heavily due to ridiculous itemlevels. This is not the case in WoD.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
gameorg

Unread postby gameorg Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:30 am

Imho its the other way around. This forum is the reliable source for IV.
Hendrikto

Unread postby Hendrikto Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:48 am

Imho its the other way around. This forum is the reliable source for IV.
I did not say this forum isn't a way more reliable source, which it is. I use IV for my alts though.
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:45 am

[...]Blizzard never say it shouldn't be a good stat, or that it shouldn't be the second best stat.
Pretty sure they did.
Don't take me wrong. They say it will never be the best secondary stat. But they never say it couldn't be the best stat just after. In Frost case, it should be MS > Versatility > all other secondary stat. It's the case at level 90 actually.

But with rating, they also ensure that Versatility won't be as good as it could.

-----

On Icy Veins debate. The author is in this forum too, or at least on the chat. After that a guide just reflect the point of view of is writer with community addition. So as good as they can be, it will never be the ultimate guide.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
Azo

Unread postby Azo Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Toon is short for cartoon?
Berlinia

Unread postby Berlinia Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:44 am

The Icy Veins guides are aimed at players who want to get an accurate picture of their class. Anyone who raids within the top 200, will probably not need Icy Veins to tell him what to do. However it's an issue of people sharing workload and focusing on things they are good at. I mean we can't expect one person (Damien or Vlad) to do extensive research on 34 specs. Therefore the guides on IV reflect that; they offer playstyle suggestions but they do not cover every single detail of the spec. For example (with 5.4 in mind) you could expect to read Pyro camping on the IV Fire guide, but not ignite suppression for insane combustions. I doubt Damien even has time to read everything on this forum.

All in all I think you shouldn't view Icy Veins and Altered-Time as two competing sites, because they are not. We both contribute with what we can. I know personally my own guides will be on both Altered Time, IV and MMOC, simply to reach as many people as possible!

Edit: Sorry for derailing the thread :P
Malon
Global Moderator

Unread postby Malon Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:21 pm

There's also Wowhead's Mage guide (written by yours truly), although it's aimed at new players and boosts: http://wowhead.com/guide=2161" target="_blank.
Author of Wowhead's official Mage guide: http://www.wowhead.com/classes#mage
Follow me for Mage tips and tricks at @ArcaneTactics (https://twitter.com/ArcaneTactics" target="_blank)
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:00 pm

I can't wait until everyone is level 100 so the "only at 90" confusion can end.

I used to enjoy pre-expansion patches, but they're not really meant to be theorycrafted except for the hobbyist.

Return to “General Discussion”