Mage in 4K

Note that these are only related to World of Warcraft! Posts regarding different games or software will be removed.
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Mage in 4K

Unread postby Akraen Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:31 pm

So here's the deal, many know by now (from IRC) that I'm kinda... inactive.

Here it's February already and I'm still level 94. Well, I have a shiny new laptop which is so exciting (See it and read my review here).

Anyway, slight problem. I don't think the world is ready for 4K yet. Elvui and Tukui do support it, technically, but they look weird and much of the UI would be unreadable (it's 3840x2160 pixels lol). So, I'm looking for someone else who plays WoW in 4K. What do you do? Sure, I could drop down to 1080p, but I don't want to. I have 4K and a beast of a machine that maintains FPS. So I want to set myself up for a good 4K return to being a mage.

Help me out, 4K mages, if you're out there...
ragnar

Re: Mage in 4K

Unread postby ragnar Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:55 pm

you should use the scale UI.
Cycobi
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Cycobi Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:38 pm

I don't play in 4K but it's perfectly possible to build a good UI with other addons outside of Elv/TukkUI.

Chuck me a PM and I can give you a list of addons which, if you spend some time fiddling with, will give you a better, more complete UI than Elv/Tukk.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Can we get some 4K images for a rough idea what it looks like?
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:13 pm

There's no site I can find that'll handle a 4k upload without resizing or rejecting it haha.

I had some reasonable success importing my old masque/aurora based UI, and scaling up bartender. TMW works well in 4K too so that's good.

My only remaining challenge really are some easy-to-configure unitframes. I can't use default, don't care what people say that's horrible-- I need HP/mana to be clearly visible, mine, targets, ToTs. So just a helpful starting point for unitframes would probably be all I need to get this functional.
macbeet

Unread postby macbeet Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Try http://www.dropbox.com" target="_blank, they allow any file size / type.

For unitframes, I use Shadowed Unit Frames, and see no reason, why you should not be able to scale them as you see fit. They are low maintenance.
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/shadowed-unit-frames" target="_blank
Last edited by macbeet on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berlinia

Unread postby Berlinia Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 pm

vuhdo should scale in 4k. However it has a terrible UI, so some figuring out might be needed.
Cycobi
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Cycobi Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Stuf UF are the best non-packaged UFs around at the moment. Take a bit of fiddling to configure and whatnot, but worth it if you're willing to put the effort in.
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 pm

I will try these things and post screenshots this weekend.

Crazy work week :(
xsai

Unread postby xsai Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:57 pm

It makes no Sense blaming Addons for this. Thats normal UI Scaling. U should play around with that Setting until u get a Proper 1:1 Pixel Setting for your Display.
15,6 Inch Display and 4k ? Wow why da Hell did you buy this ? 15,6 Inch is even to Small to give u some readable Fonts in Full HD. So it seems u have to lower your Resolution, try to use Sweetfx and Sharpen Filter or just Scale your Interface until ist readable.
Otherwise - buy 1 normal Full HD Monitor starting at 24 Inches - and you are good to go.
Short: U won´t get any readable setting done with your 15,6 inch display and 4k. This Combination just makes no sense.
Berlinia

Unread postby Berlinia Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:42 pm

It makes no Sense blaming Addons for this. Thats normal UI Scaling. U should play around with that Setting until u get a Proper 1:1 Pixel Setting for your Display.
15,6 Inch Display and 4k ? Wow why da Hell did you buy this ? 15,6 Inch is even to Small to give u some readable Fonts in Full HD. So it seems u have to lower your Resolution, try to use Sweetfx and Sharpen Filter or just Scale your Interface until ist readable.
Otherwise - buy 1 normal Full HD Monitor starting at 24 Inches - and you are good to go.
Short: U won´t get any readable setting done with your 15,6 inch display and 4k. This Combination just makes no sense.
What have you done? You have unleashed the beast. There is no saving you anymore :(
xsai

Unread postby xsai Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:18 pm

what have i done ? does ít sound aggressive ? that was not my intention :cry:
wulfmojo

Unread postby wulfmojo Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Supervillain UI works perfectly well for me at 4k, FYI.

Return to “Addons, Macros, UI and technical issues”