Legendary Dragonbreath addon request

Note that these are only related to World of Warcraft! Posts regarding different games or software will be removed.
Hygian

Legendary Dragonbreath addon request

Unread postby Hygian Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:46 pm

Hello !
First of all, thanks for all the great work done over there.

So, I did loot the fire legendary helm, boosting dragonbreath dmg and range.
Basically, its HUGE as a damage dealing tool, but I'm also sure that many of yours got wiped because of this, clicking on it and then realising you just pulled a side pack of mobs.

I'd like to know if something like this is possible, and if so, could someone create it ?

Basically :
- something that would tell "You can see this pack ? You'll hit them with DB"
> A marker over mobs heads
> A red cone projected on ground and centered on character in the direction of mobs

Thanks again !
Kisses
Chill666

Re: Legendary Dragonbreath addon request

Unread postby Chill666 Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:13 pm

> A marker over mobs heads
> A red cone projected on ground and centered on character in the direction of mobs
AFAIK both arent possible
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Not true, that should be possible. Think weakaura + range trigger. At longer distances the range calculation becomes more accurate, so while this might be unreliable for the original DB (range thresholds are 10 and 15), for the legendary head it should work.

I've buld a range indicator recently to help me keep track of some important range thresholds (Frostbolt/Flurry, DB, maxrange), with some modifications that should do the trick.

However, anything related to ranges is always a workaround of some sort. Blizz is trying to limit the information one can work with because the very same information is necessary to build a good bot.
DeathDefier
Global Moderator

Unread postby DeathDefier Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:28 am

The problem with calling for range from what I've seen, is that it goes off the edge of the hitbox, rather than the center. This doesn't matter for DB, but for things like DG pot and flurry, it will be inaccurate.
Hygian

Unread postby Hygian Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:06 pm

So it should be possible for DB ?
Even after getting used to it, i may still have probs time to time with this leg. Such as walls. Got wiped in arcway because it pulled an invisible pat in the next corridor...
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Hmm, I've looked into this a bit more. The issue is that essentially you don't know where things are anymore - Blizzard deliberately broke the related APIs. That's also the reason why the DBM range display and other things were affected:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/top ... 846?page=1
http://www.deadlybossmods.com/forum/vie ... p?f=3&t=65

I tried to work out an algorithm for dynamic triangulation, but haven't gotten very far yet. Theoretically you might be able to estimate relative positions, but you'd need communication between different players with the same addon. You'd also need to implement a dynamic information update algorithm that takes into account whether range information was updated due to the movement of the player or the target. Basically, whenever someone passes a range threshold you have confirmation that that particular range is accurate, why all others in the system are no longer. You'd need a ton of communication to ensure frequent updates and while this would get more accurate with more addon users, the calcuations would increase quadratically. To sum it up, it's not going to be done in one evening.

Furthermore, this would only work between players and their potential targets, it could not be a solution to your problem.

Return to “Addons, Macros, UI and technical issues”