How does everyone feel about 8.0 Arcane?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Fitzban

How does everyone feel about 8.0 Arcane?

Unread postby Fitzban Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to get an idea of where everyone else is at. I've been seeing a lot of Arcane jokes on reddit lately but personally I've been enjoying the spec so far. I've been playing Arcane since the end of MoP and don't see that changing anytime soon. What are your opinions (ignoring dps) on the state of our spec in BfA ? If you could change one mechanic what would it be?
roldy

Re: How does everyone feel about 8.0 Arcane?

Unread postby roldy Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:11 pm

Running Overpowered+Time Anomaly albeit only for a very short time was intriguing other than that the spec is basically dead to me. Not touching it unless it gets drastic changes for 8.1.

About things that need changing there's a whole list.
- Mana Management: So far it has either been irrelevant or overly punishing. Everything that made mana a nonfactor made the spec more enjoyable (MoP RoP, Kilt, Overpowered, etc.)
- Arcane AoE: Everything about it.
- Arcane Missiles: The way they worked in Legion was almost perfect only thing that needed to happen was to give them some kind of relevance in AoE situations. What they did to them for BFA is a disgrace.
- Arcane Cleave: Can be talented for but all talents supporting it suck.
- Improving the baseline kit: Something on a medium CD to freshen up the rotation i.e. Arcane Orb/T20 2pc/Nether Tempest (less clunky version) baseline.
- Arcane Charges: Slight facelift wouldn't hurt. Maybe something that would encourage building/spending, the old temporal flux they baked into the charges is nice, but maybe they could make it more interesting. I could also imagine something along the lines of shadow priests, where you'd trigger burns at high arcane charge.

That's about all I can think of right now. Maybe a whole team of class developers can come up with something better in an afternoon of work. Though I kind of doubt it considering the changes we have seen lately.
Fitzban

Unread postby Fitzban Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 pm

I agree with most of your points (especially the part about Kilt) but our AoE is definitely not lacking. I usually top every trash pull in M+, and if you cheese with the Tomb tier you can still run "Charged Up" and resonance at the same time. Curious to see how it goes as we move into BfA though. I think baseline Arcane Orb would help a lot. Thanks for your post.
roldy

Unread postby roldy Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:17 pm

I agree with most of your points (especially the part about Kilt) but our AoE is definitely not lacking. I usually top every trash pull in M+, and if you cheese with the Tomb tier you can still run "Charged Up" and resonance at the same time. Curious to see how it goes as we move into BfA though. I think baseline Arcane Orb would help a lot. Thanks for your post.
Don't get blinded by the great things you're now (still) able to do. Arcane AoE is great fun and incredibly powerful with the right tools. Just run the legendary shoulders + kilt + resonance + reverberate and any combination of tier sets - your damage is going to be insane and quite fun. Remove it and you're going to have a clunky mess, where you're constantly running out of mana being forced to switch between Arcane Blast (on AoE!) and Arcane Explosion to conserve mana and so far we neither have seen class changes nor azerite traits adressing this situation.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Don't get blinded by the great things you're now (still) able to do. Arcane AoE is great fun and incredibly powerful with the right tools. Just run the legendary shoulders + kilt + resonance + reverberate and any combination of tier sets - your damage is going to be insane and quite fun. Remove it and you're going to have a clunky mess, where you're constantly running out of mana being forced to switch between Arcane Blast (on AoE!) and Arcane Explosion to conserve mana and so far we neither have seen class changes nor azerite traits adressing this situation.

Arcane AOE is great fun?, are you joking?, it consists of ONE rotation, 4 AE, ABr, if you do ANYTHING else you will get less damage. there's literally NOTHING to do other than that rotation.
roldy

Unread postby roldy Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Arcane AOE is great fun?, are you joking?, it consists of ONE rotation, 4 AE, ABr, if you do ANYTHING else you will get less damage. there's literally NOTHING to do other than that rotation.
Shoulder procs are fun. Doing insane damage is fun. Going from ooming all the time playing beta to having a functioning rotation is a positive.
Sosaria

Unread postby Sosaria Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:34 am

Without the legendaries (because they're useless in BFA once replaced), Arcane's downtime is really really punishing.

So much so that I'm thinking of switching back to Fire or Frost.

You really really need to know the fight to somewhat optimise your burn phases, which is going to suck when entering the raids first time (especially if you need to impress the rest of your guild with your dps numbers to secure a perm raid spot).

I mean this is probably true with Arcane since vanilla, but the legendaries mitigated Arcane's glaring weakness a lot... Probably in a rude surprise for people going into BFA first raid tier as Arcane.

At the moment can't tell whether the Arcane weaknesses will be mitigated by the BFA artifact traits either...
Fitzban

Unread postby Fitzban Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:19 pm

I've played with it a bit on beta and can see where you're coming from. However, it has always been extra important to know the fight as arcane. Once you know when to burst during a fight you can pull off some huge numbers. I'm looking forward to raiding as arcane like I have been since MoP. That being said I do hope we get a few buffs or bandaids to help us along.
testacular

Unread postby testacular Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Personally I would like to see more interaction with Arcane Charges.
Now that AE and missiles aren't by default affected I feel somewhat cheated - charges now feel only partly important whereas before it was bread and butter.

Another thing is mana in general, the flow of it and the way it is based on mastery/int (depending on expansion).
With this it basically means you have huge mana issues and have to heavily invest in the beginning of expansion and it becomes a breeze as the xpac nears its end. That's somewhat clunky to me.

AoE was good as it was in Legion, we had beastly AoE but it should have been more mana punishing (with Kilt it was too easy) and I like the fact that we had to stay in proximity to monsters. I am not sure how it will work out now without Kilt and without AE scaling with AC.

Cleave was always non-existent or not worth the hassle and I ain't missing it. You should not have an all-round character. Ever.

As for AM changes, I don't really see any. Honestly, you are still going to use AM when you get the procs. Albeit I think they should change AM to deal significantly more damage on that proc compared to fully charged AB because as it stands, you are pretty much better off casting AB only. But that will likely change soon or maybe with that Azerite thingie.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Personally I would like to see more interaction with Arcane Charges.
Now that AE and missiles aren't by default affected I feel somewhat cheated - charges now feel only partly important whereas before it was bread and butter.
Well, with War mode on, the Arcane Empowerment does increase AM damage per clearcasting stack. Granted this won't work in dungeons/raids but for world questing/leveling it might be ok.

Additionally, Azerite traits such as Anomalous Impact and Arcane Pummeling may bring back some of the damage buffs back to AM. Granted I don't think the actual numbers work out very well unless all 3 Azerite Armor pieces are empowering the same trait.
Fitzban

Unread postby Fitzban Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Has anyone seen the Brainstorm trait? Damage % increase after evocating. Seems like that could be really cool if you save your charges going into evocate like you're supposed to
testacular

Unread postby testacular Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am

Has anyone seen the Brainstorm trait? Damage % increase after evocating. Seems like that could be really cool if you save your charges going into evocate like you're supposed to
Actually way better with just Arcane Anomaly I would say?

Return to “Arcane”