Is Arcane not worth it in Mythic?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Chronas

Is Arcane not worth it in Mythic?

Unread postby Chronas Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:51 am

Hi I have been wondering lately if it is worth sticking with Arcane for mythic. I have raided arcane for heroic but after experiencing Mythic Kargath arcane just seems very brutal to play compared to frost on that fight. The other mage in my guild gave up arcane due to the amount of high movement and cleave fights in Mythic. He cited that Butcher is the only fight that would favor arcane and the rest you are better off running frost or fire.

My question is how has been your experience as arcane in mythic fights? How do you compare to similarly skilled mages running frost? Do you feel you have to work a lot harder to get similar results to frost?
Wilderness

Re: Is Arcane not worth it in Mythic?

Unread postby Wilderness Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:08 am

Arcane can do quite well on several Mythic fights, Kargath being one of them. Obviously Arcane does well on Butcher, and its strong on Brackenspore as well. I use Fire on Tectus/Twins. I have no experience with the last two on Mythic.

Frost does well on Brackenspore as well as Twin Ogrons. There are more top logs on Kargath that are Arcane than Frost. The flamethrower buff throws off things on Brackenspore a bit, as Frost seems more easily suited to that, but most of the top logs of both specs were using it, the few I saw that were not were Arcane.

In my own raid I play with 1 or 2 Frost mages, and as Arcane I tend to beat them on most fights, but that could be through some combination of gear, skill, luck, or the spec, so who knows.

Its easy to see your dps as Arcane tank if you plan poorly or screw up mana or a PC, but I feel like I'm rewarded with better results than Frost when I play well. If you are finding the movement too much on Kargath, you are going to struggle using it anywhere else outside of Butcher. There is little movement on Kargath - dodging around your RoP for the fire shots, and perhaps having to kite a tiger or possibly Kargath into a fire pillar, but there's a lot of standing still.

So, mostly - play Frost or Arcane, whichever you are more comfortable with will probably be better for you and your raid.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Emerys

Unread postby Emerys Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 am

Don't know what tactics you use then or how you play it but arcane is very good for mythic.
You just need to get used to it I guess. Using RoP on Kargath is also easy.

Only Tectus is an issue. I just go fire, with mastery gear and enchants it's quite good.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:48 am

Arcane is hardly a "Butcher only" spec. There are certain fights like Tectus that make it really painful, but it's not nearly as bad as you make it.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Mishh

Unread postby Mishh Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:39 am

Depends on what tactic you use for Tectus, in my guild we killed them 1 at a time. Ofc Arcane will do really poorly compared to Fire if you go for the aoe strat.

I used Frost for all the bosses in Highmaul during progress, but in hindsight I see that Arcane would probably do just as good.
Mishh - Practice, Shattered Hand - EU - 7/7 M - World 8th

Armory
Logs
Stream
Chronas

Unread postby Chronas Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:51 pm

I appreciate the replies. I'm glad arcane is viable for mythic though after reading some of the comments I realize I have a lot of room for improvement when playing arcane.

Return to “Arcane”