Arcane mage guide for raiding by Dutchmagoz! [6.2 updated]

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Wilderness

Re: Arcane mage guide for raiding by Dutchmagoz! [6.1 update

Unread postby Wilderness Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Maybe I missed this in the PTR or other dicussion threads, but what's the best way to handle AM when you're burning with the class trinket? I tried to dump AM whenever I could just before burning, but I still ran into a lot of 3 stacks of AM with several seconds of AP still to go.

Taking OP would make that much simpler, but UM is coming up as about 2.5k stronger on single-target. I was less concerned about wasting an AM proc yesterday but I've picked up 2T18 so I really don't want to miss out on AM procs if it can be avoided or handled differently.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:19 pm

I know komma looked into it when we were first optimizing the APL, but that was also when pets were pretty OP I think. I've gone through and re-examined it.

Running UM_ROP_PC with Tome, heroic ilvl profile. Haste optimized.

Not AMing during AP and while PC is up (except when you are 3xAM capped) is a gigantic DPS loss. Burn like normal when PC is up, regardless of trinket.

This is altering burn while PC is not up. So it's AMing like normal on PC, and then not AMing during burn if you have Tome+AP up(except if you are 3xAM capped). This IS is real DPS difference - I just had to run 100k iterations to get the error low enough to be sure. But honestly it's less than 100DPS, which is like...never going to be noticed.

But yes, technically not AMing during Burn off PC is a DPS gain when you're at this ilvl, running UM_ROP_PC, and using Tome.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Thank you Frosted, I appreciate your running those.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Re: Arcane mage guide for raiding by Dutchmagoz! [6.2 update

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:14 pm

Updated for 6.2!
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
indomitus

Unread postby indomitus Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:36 pm

So what if you run both PoF and tome?
You use all your arcane missiles before placing prismatic crystal. Burn phase doesn't change from the usual.
Just so I understand- what if trinket procs while generating charges, but missles don't proc at all do I then just go into burn and disregard that trinket is currently procced on my main target?
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:44 pm

You use all your arcane missiles before placing prismatic crystal. Burn phase doesn't change from the usual.
Just so I understand- what if trinket procs while generating charges, but missles don't proc at all do I then just go into burn and disregard that trinket is currently procced on my main target?
This is correct. Don't forget to swap to the PoF target for any arcane missile procs though.
Owner of Altered Time.

indomitus

Unread postby indomitus Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:18 pm

This is correct. Don't forget to swap to the PoF target for any arcane missile procs though.

ahh ok I wasn't sure if this behavior applied while using both trinkets, thanks alot, keeping up with the other arcane mage in my guild has been.... rough lol.
Velk

Unread postby Velk Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:31 am

6.2 Update says to use Unstable Magic with Tome of Shifting Words. Was wondering if it was all variants of the trinket? Just came back to the game and got the normal version, so not sure if I should be defaulting Unstable Magic or not.

Thanks!
Woke

Unread postby Woke Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:20 am

6.2 Update says to use Unstable Magic with Tome of Shifting Words. Was wondering if it was all variants of the trinket? Just came back to the game and got the normal version, so not sure if I should be defaulting Unstable Magic or not.

Thanks!
It just depends on the fight and the rest of your gear.
Velk

Unread postby Velk Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:02 am

It just depends on the fight and the rest of your gear.
Armory = http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/z ... elk/simple" target="_blank

I honestly just came back to the game, I only plan on clearing Heroic HFC. Don't have the time to get into mythics like I want to.

Not sure if my current gear makes a difference but if it depends on the boss I can do some testing when I raid next.
Velerion

Unread postby Velerion Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:32 am

It should be pretty much regardless of gear beyond having tome, and the tier bonuses. We go for haste with our tier and that works much better with haste than SN does. SN can be useful on some fights where snap aoe is required like komrock or xhul (really nice for add interrupts) but generally these are things other classes should focus on and more for padding than anything else (not that I don't do it too).
Velk

Unread postby Velk Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:35 am

It should be pretty much regardless of gear beyond having tome, and the tier bonuses. We go for haste with our tier and that works much better with haste than SN does. SN can be useful on some fights where snap aoe is required like komrock or xhul (really nice for add interrupts) but generally these are things other classes should focus on and more for padding than anything else (not that I don't do it too).
So does that entail both the Trinket and 4p? Assuming you need both in order to straight up go UM but it doesn't hurt to ask if not

Thanks in Advance
Velerion

Unread postby Velerion Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:16 am

I'm not exactly sure of the math (kind of a no no on this site) but I believe its a bigger thing with the tier as having 26% haste guarantees an extra hit from the temporal anomalies and haste benefits UM more where as SN wants mastery. I'm not sure how important it is with tome beyond the fact that with it you will only want to cast AB (past AM) during burn phases and haste also benefits this aspect.

Edit: after looking around a bit it seems that especially gearing for haste is primarily used for the tier bonuses and again, the haste build is the main reason UM does so well. I would still say there's a benefit to not using two gcds during AP with tome but honestly to know for sure you'd still want to sim your specific character.
Last edited by Velerion on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
prateems

Unread postby prateems Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:21 am

Is it ever worth it to enchant haste on your weapon instead of mastery?
Nuaura || <The Outcasts> || 3/7M EN
Woke

Unread postby Woke Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:49 am

Is it ever worth it to enchant haste on your weapon instead of mastery?
Yes, with Tier 18, especially once you have the 4 set.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:15 am

So does that entail both the Trinket and 4p? Assuming you need both in order to straight up go UM but it doesn't hurt to ask if not

Thanks in Advance
Without 4pc you still use UM as long as you got tome, even normal version. (assuming it's a single target fight, and your other gear isn't way higher ilvl than your normal trinket)
Owner of Altered Time.

Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:17 pm

What's the # of targets to be considered "multiple" for the trinkets listed here? Anything beyond 1 or does it take 3-4+ for other trinkets to pass tome?
Woke

Unread postby Woke Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:50 pm

What's the # of targets to be considered "multiple" for the trinkets listed here? Anything beyond 1 or does it take 3-4+ for other trinkets to pass tome?
I would think fights with multiple add phases and such. Examples would be Xhul, Iskar(maybe). Stuff like that.
jimme

Unread postby jimme Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:52 am

OK, I just got Heroic Tome yday (finally it dropped). First vanq trink we've seen.

Which leads me to a few question - probably stupid ones, so apologies in advance. :)

1. I've only tried on a dummy so far, but I ran into this situation:

a. I get to 4 charges and dump missiles.
b. I pop AP and berserking.
c. I spam AB (and im not getting a single AM proc)
d. Halfway through AP (7 sec left or so) im at 30% mana.

What do I do then?
I mean I cant continue burning without running out of mana for the full duration of arcane power.
At the same time Evocating during burn is a big nono, even moreso with the trinket.
Once could evo ofc and then save PoM (which means practically nothing with the low cast time anyway) to at least getting 2 charges fast, but it would still be a pretty dire situation.

Had it been 50% mana, would I just keep burning to 0% mana to not evo during AP, and just use missile procs if they come if I were to get to 0% mana?

2. PoF/Tome/PC/Burn
I haven't tried PoF with crystal yet as I only got it on mannoroth this week and I was running AO on Archimonde.
Is it correctly understood that MoD will not be applied to PC, but can be applied to a target PC is hitting?

If that is the case, lets say this:

a. PC is up, and im casting AB on the crystal.
b. In the middle of the burn with crystal still up MoD procs on another target.

Will I (in the case I get missile procs) switch to the other target, even while PC is up?

3. Arcane Orb/4 charges/PoF-MoD proc

We have this case:
a. 4 charges, 3 sec left of MoD, 0 AM procs atm

Normally we dont want to cast AO at 4 charges, but in this case there simply wont be time to use ABarr, then use AO, while at the same time have time to actuelly use the AM procs we hopefully get from AO with the MoD still up.

In this case do I not just use arcane orb at 4 stacks in the hope of getting some AM procs to use while MoD is still up?
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:03 pm

Anything beyond 1. Though keep in mind, tome is still best for killing a priority target, even if there's multiple enemies up.
Owner of Altered Time.

Return to “Arcane”