Rune of power tips and tricks...

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Pkm

Rune of power tips and tricks...

Unread postby Pkm Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:51 pm

Any tips at all. Addons, macros, strategy... whatever! The one thing i cannot master on mage is RoP management its driving me mad :(

Thanks!
Wilderness

Re: Rune of power tips and tricks...

Unread postby Wilderness Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:38 pm

Well, there's not a whole lot you can do to help someone with RoP management since its very fight specific, and requires you to know the fight well enough to minimize your movement. But it is very helpful to have some sort of visual reminder for the timer on RoP as well as the buff you get while standing in it. I use weak auras for both of those, and it helps a lot.

The only macro I have related to RoP is I have one to macro it with Ice Floes (I still have it bound separately as well) although that hasn’t been needed in BRF.

The only fight in M BRF I use it on is Gruul. Its definitely doable on Flamebender and Darmac, but I like not being tied to it. I’ve also started playing Arcane on Darmac since the adds get wrecked too quickly to make good use of LB explosions, so being able to run around and pad with AE is a good reason not to take RoP on that fight anyway. Someone really pushing for ranks could probably use it effectively on Maidens or Kromog I’d imagine, but I would recommend that for most people. If you are doing normal or heroic, then I'd use it on both Flamebender and Kromog at least. Having less wolves and no pillars on those fights minimizes the movement that you might need.

So, if you are having issues with it: what fights are you trying to use it on, and what do you currently use to track your RoP timer and if you are or are not in it? That’s probably the biggest way you can improve your uptime – make sure you know a fight well enough that you aren’t having to move a lot and recast, and tracking that information. In MoP I used to have a big WA that would surround my character if I wasn’t in my RoP, and it would make a yelling sound when I lose the RoP buff. I don’t need that sort of thing anymore, but it was definitely helpful in learning to manage it.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
swoon

Unread postby swoon Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Well, there's not a whole lot you can do to help someone with RoP management since its very fight specific, and requires you to know the fight well enough to minimize your movement. But it is very helpful to have some sort of visual reminder for the timer on RoP as well as the buff you get while standing in it. I use weak auras for both of those, and it helps a lot.

The only macro I have related to RoP is I have one to macro it with Ice Floes (I still have it bound separately as well) although that hasn’t been needed in BRF.

The only fight in M BRF I use it on is Gruul. Its definitely doable on Flamebender and Darmac, but I like not being tied to it. I’ve also started playing Arcane on Darmac since the adds get wrecked too quickly to make good use of LB explosions, so being able to run around and pad with AE is a good reason not to take RoP on that fight anyway. Someone really pushing for ranks could probably use it effectively on Maidens or Kromog I’d imagine, but I would recommend that for most people. If you are doing normal or heroic, then I'd use it on both Flamebender and Kromog at least. Having less wolves and no pillars on those fights minimizes the movement that you might need.

So, if you are having issues with it: what fights are you trying to use it on, and what do you currently use to track your RoP timer and if you are or are not in it? That’s probably the biggest way you can improve your uptime – make sure you know a fight well enough that you aren’t having to move a lot and recast, and tracking that information. In MoP I used to have a big WA that would surround my character if I wasn’t in my RoP, and it would make a yelling sound when I lose the RoP buff. I don’t need that sort of thing anymore, but it was definitely helpful in learning to manage it.
Mythic -> Gruul/Oregorger/Flamebender are all easy to use rune on, besides flamebender if you get a dog on you then it gets a bit bad.

Rune honestly isn't hard to use at all, you just have to know the fights and place them based on that.

Gruul, 1 rune is enough to side step a smash so you can just place them in front of each other.

Oregorger, same thing you can just place them in front of each other at the start and then when he rolls around place 1 in each lane and just blink when he comes to your lane.

Flamebender, find a spot by yourself and place one on yourself and in melee range for firestorm.

Heroic, maidens/kromog are perfectly viable too you just have to place them side by side so you can step in and out of bombs and so on.
Killget

Unread postby Killget Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:55 pm

I use weakauras to track it all of my Tier 6 talent choices including RoP, IF and MI

Copied from the post - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14928233024" target="_blank

7 - Mage - Tier 6 talents can be found here: http://pastebin.com/Uihuna5d" target="_blank

For RoP: Will let you know if you're standing in your RoP or not (the light dims when you step out of RoP). There is also a tiny red RoP icon that pops up when you're outside a RoP.

For Incanter's Flow: A stack counter that glows brighter as your stacks grow stronger (from 1 - 5). It will glow brightest on 5 and the dim back down to 1 as your stack cycle resets.

For Mirror Image: A straightforward cooldown monitor.

Hope this helps, Basically, it lets you know if you are in or of you RoP, it does no have the 3 minute timers, maybe if someone else has a WA for that they could help out.

Apologies if this is too off-topic, but to add onto what Wilderness says. In Mythic, Rune Of Power is seldom chosen.

Just remember that Incanters flow has and average of 12.5% ( i think) SP and RoP has 15%. It does not take much loss of RoP uptime to make IF better. Tie that into having to use GCDs in a fight to cast RoP compared to a Passive.
Also that IF ties well with SN/PC as using SN at 5 stacks will yield some nice numbers.
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks for the replies

I didn't realize how important it was to know the fights, but it makes sense, and makes it much easier too.
Trustbucket

Unread postby Trustbucket Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:32 am

Hard to really give tips that work for every single scenario since RoP placement is very situational but generally you want to be on the edge of your RoP so you can use the space in RoP more efficiently when ground effects are targeted on you. Where you stand in the RoP depends a lot on the fight and its not always best to stand right on the edge but its something to keep in mind. When starting the fight you want to place two RoP slightly overlapping so you have more room to move, but if there is another place you could be moving to in the first 3 minutes it is worth placing another RoP there (for example placing a RoP in melee on Flamebender if you kite the dogs around melee or if you get molten torrent and don't have block/ ginvis).

Generally you want to use RoP when you can because you will have a much more consistent and stronger opener and pull altogether, so its good to get used to using it when you can and learn how to use it efficiently.
monkeyofdoom

Unread postby monkeyofdoom Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Oregorger, same thing you can just place them in front of each other at the start and then when he rolls around place 1 in each lane and just blink when he comes to your lane.
I don't understand how ROP is at all viable for Oregorger. would love to know how you make it work.
Surely you'd be re-casting it after every new pool in phase 1. And in phase 2, aside from the firewave issues that you wouldn't be able to avoid - would this only work if your guild is letting you off the hook for killing any crates?
swoon

Unread postby swoon Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:29 am

I don't understand how ROP is at all viable for Oregorger. would love to know how you make it work.
Surely you'd be re-casting it after every new pool in phase 1. And in phase 2, aside from the firewave issues that you wouldn't be able to avoid - would this only work if your guild is letting you off the hook for killing any crates?
We start in the far lane to the right, place two down the lane, 6 pools is pretty much exactly the length of the runes.

He pushes, I place one rune in each of the close middle lanes, the only rune downtime is running to them.

You can still attack the crates but they die fast in our guild so I somewhat ignore them unless boss is out of range.

~and then place runes at the end of the lane where he ends obviously. ~

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cn ... s&source=1" target="_blank

Could be better probably.
Valounette

Unread postby Valounette Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:04 am

I don't know why people don't use rune of power on mythic iron maidens. It's perfect for that fight.

Two rune of powers is ALWAYS enough to fully dodge any combination of bombs in the detonation sequence phase, with ease. Your runes can cover ~8 bombs, but only need to cover 6 to be able to dodge any amount.

Blood ritual isn't a concern. In heroic mode, if your runes are spaced like this: 1x in the center ring, 1x to the left (where blood ritual is usually taken), you can still move to the left edge of a rune and be correctly positioned for the blood ritual. In Mythic, since it will keep targetting you if you get it once, just reposition a rune. Not a big loss.

Rapid Fire isn't a big deal either. Pop alter time before moving out of the rune, move out for a few seconds, then warp back.

Lastly Dominator turrets. Mostly a non-issue. You only have to resposition/rerune on the rare occasion that one is dropped directly ontop of ranged.
Zelendria

Unread postby Zelendria Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:28 pm

You can dodge rapid fire with Glpyh of rapid displacement. Blink between the 2 runes although I haven't quite mastered that yet and still run IF :lol:
Obv you can Invis penetrating shot, but a Heartseeker will force you out of your runes.
Valounette

Unread postby Valounette Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:33 pm

You can dodge rapid fire with Glpyh of rapid displacement. Blink between the 2 runes although I haven't quite mastered that yet and still run IF :lol:
Obv you can Invis penetrating shot, but a Heartseeker will force you out of your runes.
This is bad since placing two runes that far apart will mean that you can't always remain inside a rune during the detonation sequence/bomb phase.
Zelendria

Unread postby Zelendria Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:50 pm

True.
I take my hat off to ppl 90+% Runes on Maidens. A lot of that will depend on how many people can negate the Penetrating Shot.
I don't know about other methods, but for us we stand still and everybody groups up in the line. That can potentially take you out of runes a lot to the point of IF being better.
DocileCraig

Unread postby DocileCraig Sun May 10, 2015 10:44 am

not a tip or trick, but I think of this while I do it to make it less of a dull spell.

Return to “Arcane”