34 seconds into pull first proc

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
DyLemma

34 seconds into pull first proc

Unread postby DyLemma Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:20 am

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/d9 ... ity=184073" target="_blank

there ya go since you wanted data.
Curnivore

Re: 34 seconds into pull first proc

Unread postby Curnivore Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:40 pm

I suspect something is wrong with the Megathread's "Procs on the pull (as do all RPPM trinkets)". This doesn't look like a traditional RPPM trinket (as far as "traditional" goes since it's only invented last year). This appears to have a very low chance on the pull.

update: Hrm. You're also a troll. Are they nerfing us or something? :>
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:46 pm

If I were to make a guess, I'd put my money on it having something to do with you starting the fight with Frost Nova from Glyphed Ice Block.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Hrm, what if, you equipped the trinket shortly before the pull? Internal cooldowns might prevent it procing.
starting the fight with Frost Nova from Glyphed Ice Block.
What's the benefit of that (other than an insignificant damage immunity for 3 sec)?

update: Another potential reason might be high usage of the proc on the trash before it.
DyLemma

Unread postby DyLemma Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:54 pm

To stop me from being picked with shadow of death
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:22 pm

I thought of that but it drops before 1 second in. How is it up at 5sec?

On topic: It's probably the internal CDs of equip or prev use isn't it?
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:32 am

No. Prophecy of Fear has no internal cooldown.
Admin of Altered Time.

Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm pretty sure I can reproduce that issue. If I equip the trinket right before a pull it doesn't proc. If it's equipped for minutes it procs easily.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm pretty sure I can reproduce that issue. If I equip the trinket right before a pull it doesn't proc. If it's equipped for minutes it procs easily.
I tried that, i was trying to delay pof going up so i could get to 4ab then drop my crystal, 99% of the time pof went up just as early as if i had it equipped the whole time.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:37 pm

This is something we made sure of as soon as the trinket was available on PTR. The trinket has no internal cooldown, unlike the BRF trinkets. This is readily visible from the fact that mark of doom can apply again while it is active on a target. This does not happen for BRF trinkets.
Admin of Altered Time.

Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:56 pm

I just tried it again. Started blasting right after I equipped it and it wasn't procing at all. Are you sure you've tried it lately?

If that's true there's something going on here. It might be the race or the faction, I don't know.

update: Hitting it after I typed this message it procced on the first hit (it was kept equipped).
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:12 am

I am quite sure nothing has changed, yes. It's also not just me, because a lot of people have tried the exact same tricks to manipulate the timing of Mark of Doom proccing.

What exactly are you testing on, and how?
Admin of Altered Time.

yungg

Unread postby yungg Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:26 am

hmm, only time I can remember not having POF proc within the first few casts is when I was attacking the little caged prisoners in gorefiends room to try to pull with 4 charges.

not sure if thats what you did OP.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:59 am

What exactly are you testing on, and how?
On spirit lodge. It's extremely consistent. If I start hitting it right after I equip it it doesn't proc.

I honestly can't imagine I'm the only one seeing this.

If in contrast I wait, it usually procs on 1st hit.
ardomur

Unread postby ardomur Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:35 pm

If i understand english enough, Spirit Lodge is the thing in your garison (mage tower?)?

In that case you are right
upon entering a boss fight your trinkets get reset, so that in a raid doing nothing for 5 mins or killing adds right before a pull doesn't screw with your procs (what happenend a long time ago, which meant a lot of people in the raid weren't doing trash, cause it could screw with their procs)
The Damage Dummy in your Garison (or any other place for that matter) is no boss fight, so your trinkets don't reset which means the proc mechanic ramps up (something with the longer you didn't have a proc, the more likely it is to proc) to the point where doing nothing for 5 mins or so, gives you the max proc chance

If you want to test your proc trinkets, you have no other option as to enter a raid (i read most people pull the first boss in ICC, no idea why) and pull a boss. Their should be no difference on equiping your trinkets right before the pull or doing nothing for a long time.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Pretty much what ardomur just said. RPPM trinkets cannot be tested on dummies, because they don't provide the reset on pull.
Admin of Altered Time.

Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:04 pm

It's likely that the reset does not occur in certain cases due to quirks. The RPPM chance on pull is extremely high right? Then it wouldn't make sense it doesn't proc after various hits.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:11 pm

No.

I think you are misunderstanding how RPPM works entirely. If you unequip a trinket, equip it again and start attacking a dummy, your proc chance is very close to zero. You likely won't see a proc for an entire minute or two. That is normal and expected behavior.
Admin of Altered Time.

ardomur

Unread postby ardomur Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:25 pm

If i understood correctly, rppm is basically a growing proc chance of your trinket
Lets say the trinket has a 0.9 proc per minute basic, that would mean, every 66 sec (?) the trinket should be active. To achieve that, for every sec your trinket didn't proc the chance grows. When you start the fight against a dummy after equiping the trinket this chance is minimal. For every second you stand there, the chance grows until after about 66 sec (this is no guarantee) your trinket procs. If you have the trinket equiped for 5 mins the proc chance is already at its max, because it is over 66 sec since your last proc, pretty much guaranteeing you a proc.

For boss fights Blizzard implemented a mechanic, where entering a combat gives your trinket a basic proc chance, as if you were out of fight for lets say 60 sec, which gives a wiggle room of 6 sec for your trinket to procc, to the point where a procc on your first cast is not guaranteed, but at least it should proc in the first 10 sec or so.

This means comparing a boss fight against a dummy is pointless. If you go into hfc and pull every boss, theoretically there shouldn't be a point where your trinket didn't proc in the first 10 sec (obviously this still happens, hence this thread)
Now comes the question why this happened with no proc for 34 sec, either he should never buy a lottery ticket, cause he is the one in a million with the worst luck ever, OR there is/was something preventing his trinket proc, which should not be possible
Edit: The shadow priest Razormn had his trinket proc at 0:00.217 on his first cast, the trinket from the frost mage Kurênai proced at 0:04.310 which is his 2nd Frostbolt and 3rd cast total (frozen orbed before). Both are normal and what you would expect
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:39 pm

No.
You misunderstood what I said. I wasn't talking about dummies there because the thread established RPPM trinkets on them don't reflect a boss pull. Unless you are certain no quirks exist in the game.

Return to “Arcane”