Full mythic geared mages using Firehawk set for opener

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Smoky

Re: Full mythic geared mages using Firehawk set for opener

Unread postby Smoky Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I doesn't work for me anymore o_O

am I doing something wrong?

I'm using this macro

/cast Arcane Power
/equipset NameSet (saved set with full mythic gear)

Before 1,5 sec pull I put my PC and use this macro

It was working a few days ago...

NVM BOTH OF MY EQUIPSET WAS WITH DIF TRINKETS
timmywitt

Unread postby timmywitt Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:19 am

I tried this out using Overpowered and glyphed Arcane Power...and that is a looong burn phase. Worth it over Crystal or similar?
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:06 am

on some bosses yeah, i think the 2nd boss and gorefiend it might be worth using OP over pc.
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:10 am

It doesn't work with Overpowered. Every time you refresh Arcane Power through using Arcane Missiles, Arcane Power takes a snapshot of the modifications that are made to it (Firehawk in this case) when it adds two seconds to the duration. This means that the Firehawk snapshotting is gone the moment you end your first Arcane Missiles cast if you have Overpowered talented.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:16 am

Wait, is this still allowed? I believe the majority of players would find this bad gameplay. It's not even balanced since for it to be balanced all classes would need something similar.
wandal

Unread postby wandal Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Its been fixed, whenever you switch the stuff arcane power disappears. im talking about the 10% damage not the mana reduce, this one still works.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Its been fixed, whenever you switch the stuff arcane power disappears. im talking about the 10% damage not the mana reduce, this one still works.
What 10% damage?

Just tried firehawk set again and it still works just fine - everything works like it has for months now
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm

10% damage as in tier 14.
Twitter
Armory

Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:44 am

This trick is used on the pull, and since on the pull mages usually get doom procs and often 2 or 3 arcane missiles, they will often be high on mana without the trick for the most part of Arcane Power, possibly making it less worth it to get a chance with it, possibly losing 1 second or 2 of Arcane Power in order to pull it off reliably or being possibly flagged. It will likely be a dps gain in the long run in terms of sustained damage, but possibly a dps loss for the top logs, because they usually rely on very good procs of arcane missiles and doom which will keep mana to the maximum while AP will likely have a bit more time up without the trick because the trick must never use AP after entering combat. I also worry about how far blizzard or warcraftlogs can go for it to prevent it in the future.
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:40 am

Of course it's a DPS loss in terms of the absolute top end RNG tries. Those parses typically have several missiles towards the start of the crystal and then follow those up with very heavy AB hits through lucky crits, multistrikes and UM procs. The reason why this snapshotting is so good isn't because it helps you get an insanely high opener, that's not what it's for, it simply raises the average significantly through making sure you don't get screwed on mana if you're unlucky. That's even with a 15s AP. With a 30s AP the difference is massive, as you can keep burning for the full 30 seconds (~29 in reality) before you OOM - and you don't even need good AM RNG in order to do that. You just fire off a few and then you're good to go.

What makes you say that we're often on high mana for the most part of AP? On average you either very close to OOM or actually OOM at the end, meaning your mana certainly spends a lot of time not being "high".
Twitter
Armory

Searix

Unread postby Searix Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:54 am

This trick is used on the pull, and since on the pull mages usually get doom procs and often 2 or 3 arcane missiles, they will often be high on mana without the trick for the most part of Arcane Power, possibly making it less worth it to get a chance with it, possibly losing 1 second or 2 of Arcane Power in order to pull it off reliably or being possibly flagged. It will likely be a dps gain in the long run in terms of sustained damage, but possibly a dps loss for the top logs, because they usually rely on very good procs of arcane missiles and doom which will keep mana to the maximum while AP will likely have a bit more time up without the trick because the trick must never use AP after entering combat. I also worry about how far blizzard or warcraftlogs can go for it to prevent it in the future.
More mana = more Prophecy damage obviously. Also if you're capping mana during burn constantly you're probably doing something wrong even with this trick.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:25 am

if you're capping mana during burn constantly you're probably doing something wrong even with this trick.
Who told you that? I said the opposite is often happening, which is what Rinoa is commenting on:
What makes you say that we're often on high mana for the most part of AP? On average you either very close to OOM or actually OOM at the end, meaning your mana certainly spends a lot of time not being "high".
To be fair I didn't say how often, I said it's often. In my experience bad luck with Arcane Missiles is happening a little less than half of the time so I wouldn't say it's the most common but of course it's nowhere near impossible.

By the way, I did try that trick and it works pretty reliably with good macros, however since I had a few ninja pullers by 1 sec in my team, I elected to stop using it.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Guess i should clarify - im using troll racial/mythic class trinket/t12/t3+t17/crystal at -2 and move to boss to crystal opener. Even still it seems like going AB/AM seems optimal over AM spam at capped mana
Searix

Unread postby Searix Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:46 am

I also have a sneaky suspicion that spamming AB > AM with PoF if you'll be mana capped at end of burn against one target
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:44 am

This forum isn't for discussing semantics, WarcraftMages.
Twitter
Armory

Raaiven

Unread postby Raaiven Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:44 am

I also have a sneaky suspicion that spamming AB > AM with PoF if you'll be mana capped at end of burn against one target
I do assume that it would provide more consistent dps but it should be worth the 'risk' to use AM just to fish for 4-set procs
Seatoo

Unread postby Seatoo Fri May 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Is there somewhere that can show how to make a macro like this or is it just /equip blahblahblah for every single piece of gear
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Fri May 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Copied from my post on speedkilling Archimonde. This assumes you already have 4-piece Tier 12 equipped:

/cast Arcane Power
/use Draenic Intellect Potion
/equipset <name of your regular Arcane set>
Twitter
Armory

Return to “Arcane”