New way to use Arcane Power?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Curnivore

Re: New way to use Arcane Power?

Unread postby Curnivore Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:09 am

Yes it can be stretched to have a strictly technical justification, and I'm not arguing on whether it's bannable today, it probably isn't. I would further argue though that they would change it swiftly if they didn't have more important stuff up the queue. It is clearly a to-fix bug since it's not balanced since not all classes (or even specs) can do the same (taking advantage of ancient tier sets before pulling) and they would never allow that imbalance/unfairness in the game in good consciousness.
wandal

Unread postby wandal Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:51 pm

Fixed on eu servers i think.
Raaiven

Unread postby Raaiven Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:42 pm

fixed BUT..

you can still use AP unglyphed and glyph pre-pull if it lasts between 105s and 190s so that your second AP is 30 seconds.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:45 am

That's odd. From what I've heard, devs don't plan to fix this until Legion.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Thu May 12, 2016 12:07 pm

"Set bonuses for item sets from expansions prior to Warlords of Draenor have been deactivated, though the text describing their former function still remains."

RIP GEAR SWAPPING.

:(
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Thu May 12, 2016 4:03 pm

:(
Consistency without obscure or clunky mechanics is good for gameplay. This mechanics team is pretty good. I'm impressed they made PvP almost entirely gear agnostic (not good for PvE always but PvP could use it since TBC).
Searix

Unread postby Searix Wed May 18, 2016 1:39 am

Tier 3 two-piece no longer reduces evocate's cooldown by 1 minute, so t3/t17 swap is dead unless fight will be extremely short, as your evocate is gonna be 1m30s

Tier 12 swap still working
Searix

Unread postby Searix Thu May 19, 2016 8:41 pm

Officially in the posted hotfixes today

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/4123 ... 11-may-18/" target="_blank

Mage

Armor Set
Tier 3 Frostfire Regalia 2-piece set bonus now reduces the cooldown on Evocation by 6 seconds (down from a 1-minute reduction).
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Fri May 20, 2016 11:08 am

You can still use 2pc t17 evo, then firehawk set and get a good opener, better then if you didn't do it.

And there's really no reason to burn all that low as long as you use AMs often, 70% should be fine and it'll give you plenty of time to regen during the conserve phase, you do shitty damage during conserve anyway so it's hardly a huge dps loss to go 3AB,ABr for 3 of 4 rounds instead of 4AB, ABr.
Juniper

Unread postby Juniper Wed May 25, 2016 4:10 pm

You can still use 2pc t17 evo, then firehawk set and get a good opener, better then if you didn't do it.

And there's really no reason to burn all that low as long as you use AMs often, 70% should be fine and it'll give you plenty of time to regen during the conserve phase, you do shitty damage during conserve anyway so it's hardly a huge dps loss to go 3AB,ABr for 3 of 4 rounds instead of 4AB, ABr.
I'd prefer having some figures, I'd imagine you'd still burn 50% and lower most of the time. I can imagine it'd be a dps loss if you'd purposley cancel your burst during the last 2 or 3seconds in order to stay on a higher mana level.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Thu May 26, 2016 2:17 am

I'd prefer having some figures, I'd imagine you'd still burn 50% and lower most of the time. I can imagine it'd be a dps loss if you'd purposley cancel your burst during the last 2 or 3seconds in order to stay on a higher mana level.
Its a well known fact 2pc t17 opener is more DPS then not doing it, adding T12 only makes it better.
Quetesh

Unread postby Quetesh Thu May 26, 2016 8:51 am

Its a well known fact 2pc t17 opener is more DPS then not doing it, adding T12 only makes it better.
And Flying Spaghetti Monster also exists - no logs, no sims, no numbers, no proof :(
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 am

And Flying Spaghetti Monster also exists - no logs, no sims, no numbers, no proof :(
Well, in this case I think it makes sense if we're talking 20-30 second kills where you glyph AP and the mana reduction means you don't even need to Evocate a second time. There's barely any cost to doing this, so you just gain free haste and mana reduction on the pull.

If it's a long fight though, it'll take some number crunching before you can convince the world that losing further AP uptime on the pull is worth it.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Juniper

Unread postby Juniper Fri May 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Well, in this case I think it makes sense if we're talking 20-30 second kills where you glyph AP and the mana reduction means you don't even need to Evocate a second time. There's barely any cost to doing this, so you just gain free haste and mana reduction on the pull.

If it's a long fight though, it'll take some number crunching before you can convince the world that losing further AP uptime on the pull is worth it.
I'd probably use 2pt17 for a short fight, though I imagine there is still the possibility to go oom on a bad pull (no am procs). But that wouldnt be any different from not using 2pt17 since you'd be going oom on a bad pull aswell.

I'm active for about 4 weeks now, had a long break. Right now I'm progressing Mannoroth, so I'd be curious if using 2pt17 on pull would make sense in a longer fight. Did anyone do the math, yet? I'm not really good at siming.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Fri May 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Manno's starting phase is really warmup with almost no bearing to how hard the later parts are so I wouldn't do anything that may jeopardize later dps even if it's a possibility. When you go to archi, assuming the average guild progressing now, it won't be a big deal either. This is because bloodlust and super-bursting at pull is not the best strategy at that guild level (even though you will hear a lot that it is).
Searix

Unread postby Searix Fri May 27, 2016 4:48 pm

This is correct.

2pT17 adds at least a few million? And using that plus t12 my burst was typically not lower than like 70% mana
Juniper

Unread postby Juniper Fri May 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Manno's starting phase is really warmup with almost no bearing to how hard the later parts are so I wouldn't do anything that may jeopardize later dps even if it's a possibility. When you go to archi, assuming the average guild progressing now, it won't be a big deal either. This is because bloodlust and super-bursting at pull is not the best strategy at that guild level (even though you will hear a lot that it is).
Tbh evocating before pull at mannoroth doesnt make much sense, since as an arcane mage i usually start attacking once mannoroth ist positioned and ring pulled, meaning the evocation buff is not even in effect at that point.

@Searix: do you have a macro written for that? At what point do you evocate and when do you use ap+prepot?
Searix

Unread postby Searix Fri May 27, 2016 6:04 pm

@Searix: do you have a macro written for that? At what point do you evocate and when do you use ap+prepot?
T17 gearset
Evocate at -7
-1.5 seconds, macro: crystal, gearset t12 (will have to press it twice)
Spam press macro: pot, AP, zero, ab macro

I have a version of it in this VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/searix/v/68381770" target="_blank

I move everything back a second so PoF procs on crystal
Juniper

Unread postby Juniper Fri May 27, 2016 6:39 pm

I move everything back a second so PoF procs on crystal
That proc isn't guaranteed either, right? You're increasing your chance, but if the first ab doesn't proc PoF the 2nd one may aswell proc it on boss.

Personally, I've made the experience that it isn't worth losing uptime on the crystal and ap since most of the time, I don't get the proc with my initial cast but with the 2nd or 3rd.

Any reason you didin't use evocate+2pt17 on this pull?

Edit: Just got home and did some tesing. I must admit, I'm impressed by the damage output you gain and how little mana is consumed.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Fri May 27, 2016 8:04 pm

I did not use it in this VOD but have used it a lot pre t3 nerf (and didn't want to invalidate parse)

Proc should be 100% if you wait 224 seconds if you do that prepull crystal thing, but it's not linear and like 80-90% if you only wait a minute
Last edited by Searix on Fri May 27, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Arcane”