When does RoP grant extra Spell Power?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Velk

When does RoP grant extra Spell Power?

Unread postby Velk Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:57 am

Hey everyone. Throughout the past few raid weeks I've been attempting to debunk one of my remaining questions about the current version of Arcane and that is when does Rune of Power actually grant you the bonus spell power? I've been questioning whether it is at the beginning of a cast or when your cast lands.

Here's an example. Say I'm on Siegecrafter Blackfuse, I'm stacked up with the rest of the ranged and I get locked on with a sawblade, I then move out of the group and onto my own. Once its landed I start strafing back to the stack point (Where my Rune of Power still is).

Now at this point I can do one of two things depending on what the answer to my question is. I can either pop a charge of Ice Floes and begin the casting of an Arcane Blast and by the time I hit my Rune my cast finishes OR I can save a charge and just continue strafing back or even use a Blink charge to get back to my Rune to start my cast.

I know this may seem like a small thing but it can really help me decide what to do on the fly and save some valuable GCD's. Also if this isn't the correct place to put it I apologize I just figured since Arcane uses it exclusively it would be a good place to go.

TL;DR - Does Rune of Power grant the bonus Spell Power at the start of a cast or when it lands?
Vog

Re: When does RoP grant extra Spell Power?

Unread postby Vog Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:09 am

AFAIK it's applied at the end of your cast, so you can start a cast outside of RoP, walk inside with Ice Floes, and end your cast with the increased damage provided by RoP. =)

PS: RoP doesn't provide extra spellpower, it's a %damage increase.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:24 pm

As Vog said, stats snapshotting for spells is usually done at the end of casts, or for each tick during channeled spells like AM. The only exception to this that I can think of is Frost Bomb, which calculates damage on explosion. If you use Ice Floes to finish an AB cast within RoP, it will receive the benefit.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Spirillum

Unread postby Spirillum Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Confirmed. You'll also run into this quite often with trinket procs expiring. An example would be when there's 1 second left on a trinket proc and you cast a nuke with a cast time of 1.5 seconds, it will not benefit.
Velk

Unread postby Velk Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. Can't wait to start planning out some things for each fight with this new found knowledge.
lynx

Unread postby lynx Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 pm

As Vog said, stats snapshotting for spells is usually done at the end of casts, or for each tick during channeled spells like AM. The only exception to this that I can think of is Frost Bomb, which calculates damage on explosion. If you use Ice Floes to finish an AB cast within RoP, it will receive the benefit.
That's odd, because on priest I consistently crit with my second PoH after "using up" the Inner Focus buff. Guess it's not the same across different classes.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 pm

End of cast, same as any other bonus damage/spellpower procs like trinkets.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!

Return to “Arcane”