[7.2] Arcane Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legendary

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Ianarion

Re: [7.0] Arcane Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legendar

Unread postby Ianarion Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:19 am

That change to Rhonin's assaulting armwraps appears to be a serious nerf.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:41 pm

it's a pretty big nerf, yeah.
Ianarion

Unread postby Ianarion Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:10 am

Didn't see it anywhere is that trinket sim with the Heirloom Orb of Voidsight vs Demons or no?

Oh nevermind, target race = demons. Got it.
Rymerçyble

Unread postby Rymerçyble Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:04 pm

where are ur setting for NT spam sim ?
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:38 pm

in the /profiles/Tier19P/ directory of simc.
Naaldira

Unread postby Naaldira Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Is the defensive and healing value of Verse taken into account to put it ahead of crit? Because, as far as I can tell, for damage crit is better point for point, right? I thought these guides were usually pure damage focused, but since crit and verse should have the same damage value per %, but fewer points required for a % of crit, I figure crit would be ahead. I just want to confirm why verse is weighted higher.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:11 am

Is the defensive and healing value of Verse taken into account to put it ahead of crit? Because, as far as I can tell, for damage crit is better point for point, right? I thought these guides were usually pure damage focused, but since crit and verse should have the same damage value per %, but fewer points required for a % of crit, I figure crit would be ahead. I just want to confirm why verse is weighted higher.
If that's true some spells may be unable to crit.
Unreal

Unread postby Unreal Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Too bad NT spam will get nerfed. It's fun having different (and potentially very effective) playstyes.
I'm not too sure if it'll be nerfed, for mainly 3 reasons.

Considering the dps output, it's slightly stronger than an arms warrior and outlaw rogue (with decent procs, outlaw would still out dps nt arcane). So it's not that special in terms of dps.

Niche playstyle, definetely not going to work on every Boss and it's suboptimal for about any other content outside of raiding.

In some aspects it can be considered risk-reward. Getting range debuffs on a melee spot requires you quick thinking/good rng. Taking high risks for high damage was always considered as a valid mechanic afterall.

Did anyone sim this nt playstyle on multiple targets?
Naaldira

Unread postby Naaldira Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:15 pm

If that's true some spells may be unable to crit.
I'm 99% sure all Arcane Mage spells can crit, and crit at 200%.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:23 am

I'm not too sure if it'll be nerfed [..] Taking high risks for high damage was always considered as a valid mechanic afterall.
It's unintended. It leaves Arcane Barrage unused which is unacceptable to the designers. The only way this stays in is that it can't be used in almost all hard fights.
Unreal

Unread postby Unreal Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:56 am

I've been testing the nt rotation this evening and apparently I'm not able to produce dps anywhere near that sim. Using a 845 mage, oakheart and the devilsaur trinket (both 840), mostly crit gear. Used BL on pull, no pot, no food and no flask. Best results I get are around 275k with fightlength ranging from 8 to 10min. I've merely unlocked the first big trait with my artifact weapon ( rules of three).

I guess my biggest problem seems to be that i end up somewhere between 50 and 70% mana everytime i start my burst. Nt simply doesnt seem to yield enough arcane missles for me.

Has anyone gotten near the 340k bracket?

@Carni: If arcane barrage was meant to be a key spell in any possible rotation, whats the point of having quickening stack up to 100. If arcane barrage is a key spell, having the possibilty to stack to 100 would be redundant. Granted they didnt have nt in mind, I also think a fix might be coming. Though as I stated earlier, there are cases to be made for this sort of playstyle and they are perfectly valid.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:11 pm

my biggest problem seems to be that i end up somewhere between 50 and 70% mana everytime
Being slightly above half mana before burns appears to be the default rotation of simcraft last time I had checked. It's counter-intuitive at first but it seems reasonable because Mastery no longer commands high mana and there is enough time/mana to burn with it, without munching AP.
Naaldira

Unread postby Naaldira Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:49 pm

I've been testing the nt rotation this evening and apparently I'm not able to produce dps anywhere near that sim. Using a 845 mage, oakheart and the devilsaur trinket (both 840), mostly crit gear. Used BL on pull, no pot, no food and no flask. Best results I get are around 275k with fightlength ranging from 8 to 10min. I've merely unlocked the first big trait with my artifact weapon ( rules of three).

I guess my biggest problem seems to be that i end up somewhere between 50 and 70% mana everytime i start my burst. Nt simply doesnt seem to yield enough arcane missles for me.

Has anyone gotten near the 340k bracket?

@Carni: If arcane barrage was meant to be a key spell in any possible rotation, whats the point of having quickening stack up to 100. If arcane barrage is a key spell, having the possibilty to stack to 100 would be redundant. Granted they didnt have nt in mind, I also think a fix might be coming. Though as I stated earlier, there are cases to be made for this sort of playstyle and they are perfectly valid.
You will never be able to use NT Spam in a real environment. I wouldn't waste your time. It isn't good and it's not realistic. It takes ages to ramp up to that DPS. Literally minutes. If you reset your meter once you're going, you'll see better DPS.

Having quickening stack to 100 is not a sign that Arcane Barrage is optional. It is a guard against possible caps of it. They effectively want Quickening to stack as high as you can get it. Later in the expansion, with high mastery, it will be possible to get stacks very high.
Unreal

Unread postby Unreal Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Its probably viable at 4 out of 7 bosses..
Probably not good at the first Boss (you might have to carry out the debuff), even though with some anticipation and preperation possible.
Impossible to maintain stacks at the spiderboss.
Probably very hard to impossible to maintain stacks at the boss with that redcore.

I can see myself using arcane on the other bosses though, depends on how much they changed. Its still pretty risky, because losing stacks would cost you a ton of dps.
Ianarion

Unread postby Ianarion Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Does Bough of Corruption work with arcane missiles? If so is it as good as it appears, even though mastery is simming low?
yarafx1

Unread postby yarafx1 Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:47 pm

Has anyone had any luck in Mythic dungeons with Arcane on boss fights? I've been using Arcane for all the trash and just switching to fire for bosses. This feels terrible. But I can't compete with myself on fire as arcane (or my guildies that I run the mythics with.)
Jhazz

Unread postby Jhazz Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:53 am

So with Versatility being our best stat, and there being quite literally no gear with versatility on it in the Emerald Nightmare, are we about to get even worse than we already are?
Ianarion

Unread postby Ianarion Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:39 am

Looks like crit is basically just as good. It's not like fire where one stat is dramatically ahead.
Synice

Unread postby Synice Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:48 am

It's a nice overview. I'd love to see some suggestions for a starter and general rotation tips.

MoA before/after RoP? AP after MoA and only at 4 stacks AP?
Ianarion

Unread postby Ianarion Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:56 am

Update: Bough of Corruption only procs once from arcane missiles. Seems pretty bad compared to the 5-man trinkets.

Return to “Arcane”