7.1.5 - Arcane Mage Guide - Updated: 02-16-2017

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Asara

Re: 7.1.5 - Arcane Mage Guide - Updated: 01-14-2017

Unread postby Asara Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 am

So, just saw the upcoming class changes for 7.1.5 for this Tuesday, January 24th.
Mage
Arcane
  • Increased the damage of most Arcane spells and abilities by 5%. ( Arcane Barrage, Arcane Blast, Arcane Explosion, Arcane Missiles, Arcane Orb, Nether Tempest, Supernova)
  • Overpowered now increases the damage and mana cost bonuses of Arcane Power to 60% (down from 70%).
  • Amplification now increases Arcane Missiles damage by 12% (down from 15%).

Designer Notes: Arcane has been doing well in 7.1.5, but its numbers are lacking a bit. We're giving them an across-the-board damage buff, but tempering that with small reductions to a couple new talents that are proving to be too strong.
So what do you all think of this? A general +5% increase for consistency purposes it'd seem, so our non-burning low should bump up a smidge further. As far as the 70% > 60% for OP, I'm thinking it's to coincide with the previous notion for consistency and keep the burn peak from being huge, but limited to a 13~ second window. Sort of how they tweaked Fire with 7.1.5. They didn't want Fire to be focused around 10 seconds of glory and then minutes of "ugh".

As for the Amplification drop from 15% > 12%. I'm kinda mixed on this. It's going from a 60% > 48% when maxed at 4 AC stacks. So it's definitely sizable, and I'm hoping that in the mathematical sense, this was factored into the streamlined +5% increase to the bulk of the spells.

So yea, I'm thinking this might help us out a bit in the struggles we've been having, but will slightly diminish our burst output more. We'll know within 48 hours tho, but just wanted to let it be known there are some alterations coming if anyone hasn't noticed them yet.
tbh i see those changes as a nerf, but some people calculated it to a 1.4% increase in damage.... so its not gonna change anything at all, a useless change thats just going to take away our burst
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:29 pm

@Asara,

I really hope that it's not just a straight nerf honestly. I know in my mind it's leaning that it probably will be, but I'm trying to have a positive outlook on this though.

Either way, we will prevail and find our ways through this. I do hope that with the 2/4 pc set in NH that things change for us.

Also, I JUST got my legendary Kilt last night! I definitely noticed an increase, not a lot, but enough that it felt good not worrying about mana as much.

I know that in my testing, I'm going to continue holding onto regular pants that way i can do proper tests without the legendary benefit for those that dont' have the kilt.

I also went ahead during saturday and reworked my gear to be Crit > Mastery > Haste > Vers focused.
So far, I'm not seeing a huge damage increase, but it seems to be more stable output. I'm running about 29% mastery right now, and about 40%~ crit.

I also took off "Mark of the Satyr" and instead put on "Mark of the Claw". I wanted to test to see what a +1000/+1000 Crit/Haste would do to the class.

My haste normally sits around 17%, but after the proc it starts sky rocketing, and then with Timewarp/Hero it gets near 50%~ roughly (I have screenshots, but I'm at work so I can't recall the exact numbers).

Overall though, the rotation I'm working with (disregarding kilt) is pretty much AP w/ OP gets the AB priority. AM'ing only at 3 stacks, but before AP is popped, I clear off all AM charges while in a RoP. That way I have a less chance of capping during AP. On a good run I get about 6-8 AB's within the AP period given the usage of PoM as well. This is definitely a solid way right now from my testing. Afterwards it's just burn til low mana, Evo, then continue burning til somewhere between 25-50% mana.

At that point I kick over to 2 AB > AM > ABarr. (With Kilt I'm going to 25% range then doing this since it brings up the mana pool quickly, while prior to the Kilt I'd stop around 50%~ and then start the 2AB>AM>ABarr).

With the lower mastery I do notice that mana doesn't regen during AP properly, so I'm thinking if I can get upwards of 35% mastery, it should level out. I know I can do that with a few gear switches. I'm also thinking of swapping some crit, to keep around 30-35% crit, and get the Haste up a bit towards 20% if possible.

I'm feeling that a more level stat playfield might be better. (Non-real numbers, but heres a theory) 35% Crit / 25% Haste / 35% Mastery would allow for proper crit frequency for added damage, the haste would offset for the slower speed, but with mark of the claw ramps up quickly and often, then the mastery would be consistent damage increase and mana regen for lack of worry during the AP phase (especially w/ AP-OP going to 60% from 70%).

So yea... enough rambling for right now. Gonna test some more and see what transpires on Tuesday.
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Battle Tag: Rue#1731
Character: Felona
Realm: Llane
Faction: Alliance
Kythos

Unread postby Kythos Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:18 pm

@Rue

I commented briefly in another thread, but I feel the 1/24/17 hotfix is normalizing our talent tree::

so AMP is for ST... with RoP OP. (burst windows like combustion) Temp Flux with 4 pt19?? not there yet.

aFam for AE/cleave fights...
IFlow goes well with ORB, 20 sec cycle on 20 sec CD.

Resonance barrage, orb, res. bar. is an awesome burst cleave combo. (adds on tich/botanist)

NT and SN might make a come back, especially with 2 piece.

my guess is SN for single target fights with no burst cleave or heavy movement (barrage CU SlipAMs)
my guess for NT for fights like Skorp/botanist when all the adds die before ErSN can be effective.

these are theories.

Also, been focused on more Verse and verse food (7.16 % verse is 7.16 damage and 3.08 reduction)
pewpewpewpewpew!
Discord: FlowMage#8037
http://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/arthas/Kythos
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:25 pm

@Rue

I commented briefly in another thread, but I feel the 1/24/17 hotfix is normalizing our talent tree::

so AMP is for ST... with RoP OP. (burst windows like combustion) Temp Flux with 4 pt19?? not there yet.

aFam for AE/cleave fights...
IFlow goes well with ORB, 20 sec cycle on 20 sec CD.

Resonance barrage, orb, res. bar. is an awesome burst cleave combo. (adds on tich/botanist)

NT and SN might make a come back, especially with 2 piece.

my guess is SN for single target fights with no burst cleave or heavy movement (barrage CU SlipAMs)
my guess for NT for fights like Skorp/botanist when all the adds die before ErSN can be effective.

these are theories.

Also, been focused on more Verse and verse food (7.16 % verse is 7.16 damage and 3.08 reduction)
@Kythos,

Thanks for the input!

I have been focusing on stat priorities of Crit > Haste > Mastery >Vers I know a lot of people are starting to say put Mastery last, and maybe go with one of these two: Crit > Haste > Vers > Mastery or Crit > Vers > Haste > Mastery.

I'd prioritize Vers more, but the only thing giving me vers right now is my arcanocrystal. So it's gonna take a lot of obtaining new gear to get that vers I'd need. Else regemming/'chanting everything. So I'm gonna sit with my C>H>M>V setup for the moment, but I like your perspective for it.

Right now my big dilemma is determine Haste breaks so I know when to focus on other stats over haste honestly. Also at that, I'm in the midst of testing Mark of the Claw out. I'm finding it more useful feeling than Mark of the Hidden Satyr, since it allows me to get an extra hit in during my AP burn phase if I get lucky with procs. Whereas Satyr is just straight damage not influenced by my AC stacks. Claw at least just gives +1k/+1k crit/haste which both affect my AB/AM/AE/ABarr attacks, as well as MoA. So I feel like if things jive up, it has the potential to out perform Satyr, but satyr is just more consistent non-thinking damage output.

I've made a lil Weak Aura to show me when I have my Claw buff, it lasts for 6 seconds so if I get the buff just in time for my burn, I can judge when to shovel my Pom into it too for the +1k crit opportunities.

So yea, a lot of stuff to investigate with this neck enchant. I know it's almost taboo to consider anything outside of Satyr, but why not question the status quo and see how it goes? lol

All that aside, I just put up a link to Nelfy's arcane mage guide. It's about 45 min with half of it going over legendaries and haste breakpoints and a few other misc items. First half is all about the attack pattern and stats/talents. Definitely a good watch ;-)
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Asara

Re: 7.1.5 - Arcane Mage Guide - Updated: 01-24-2017

Unread postby Asara Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 pm

As far as i read, haste breakpoint or softcap is somewhere around 18% for arcane mage, honestly id go with something like 35% crit, 30% mastery and 20% haste i think.

I dont really like vers, its just a boring stat stick enhancement
x1xruex1x

Re: 7.1.5 - Arcane Mage Guide - Updated: 01-24-2017

Unread postby x1xruex1x Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:43 pm

As far as i read, haste breakpoint or softcap is somewhere around 18% for arcane mage, honestly id go with something like 35% crit, 30% mastery and 20% haste i think.

I dont really like vers, its just a boring stat stick enhancement
I think I'm right around that range. Last check I can recall I was about 34% crit, 19 Haste, 31 Mastery, 2 Vers.

It does feel more appropriate around this level. Not to mention core gear will always have some mastery one it, but overall, I think for optional gearing choices, I'd prefer the Crit Haste setup like a belt or neck piece.
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
x1xruex1x

Re: 7.1.5 - Arcane Mage Guide - Updated: 01-25-2017

Unread postby x1xruex1x Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 pm

Updated my guide on the first page. Got some new links (to Nelfy's thread and video). Soon there should be a new trinket comparison sheet out, and when it pops I'll get that added too.
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Jauless

Unread postby Jauless Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 am

...Temp Flux with 4 pt19??...
I don't know how well it would pan out damage-wise, and I'm not interested enough at this moment to even do napkin math. However, I was also thinking it would be fun to play TF with 4pc, some combo of Grav Spiral/Kilt/Armwraps, geared heavy haste and enough mastery (if any) to keep it relatively smooth, the rest crit>vers. Add Mark for your neck. Arcane on fast forward.
Philop

Unread postby Philop Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for the guide Rue.

I have a few questions regarding rotation. I currently switched from fire to arcane and I'm struggling a little bit.

1. When do u use your second RoP? So far I used it after AP and first RoP were over and continued my burst with AB, then EVO when OOM.

2. When should I use CU ?

THanks for the answers.
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks for the guide Rue.

I have a few questions regarding rotation. I currently switched from fire to arcane and I'm struggling a little bit.

1. When do u use your second RoP? So far I used it after AP and first RoP were over and continued my burst with AB, then EVO when OOM.

THanks for the answers.
@Philop,

I'm glad you've found it useful.

With regards to questions, here's what I can suggest:
I would suggest not capping your RoP. It can be freely utilized whenever you see fit, preferred when you have 4 AC stacks, and some AM's to launch during. If cooldowns permit, you can even couple it with an ABarr followed by a CU during the RoP buff duration. It'll come down to what feels right to yourself, but the best advice is just to not cap yourself on RoP's unless you're extremely close to a burn phase.
Coupling in with the previous note, you can use this in a couple of ways. One would be to use it during minor RoP burns you may come across to keep the damage up, while getting off another shot.

Another would be to break up your AC stacks so you're not in a constant mana deficit, but instead allow for an increase. Essentially, if you're getting low in mana, then cycle to a 2-3 AC charge > Clear method. When you get a smidge higher in mana after that, you can use CU after a clear to just edge out a smidge more damage. However, I'm not a huge fan of using CU later, rather earlier or during burn phases.

One other you could utilize CU for is immediate move bursts. If you've chosen Chrono Shift, you can pop ABarr > CU and benefit from the speed buff, and still be able to put out damage with no downtime. I find this to be more useful than the previous note.

Hope this helps.

If anyone else has any suggestions, thoughts, or corrections, please feel free to let me know ;-)
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Asara

Unread postby Asara Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Updated my guide on the first page. Got some new links (to Nelfy's thread and video). Soon there should be a new trinket comparison sheet out, and when it pops I'll get that added too.
Binkenstein dropped a new trinketlist, you might want to see this http://imgur.com/a/qZyCb" target="_blank
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:02 am

Binkenstein dropped a new trinketlist, you might want to see this http://imgur.com/a/qZyCb" target="_blank

THANK YOU!!!
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Kenos

Unread postby Kenos Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:14 pm

I still wonder why ethereal urn and mastery statstick of the same ilvl are different dps (especially on 880) on that list, don't they have the exact same stats? Probably some low iteration RNG shenanigans.
Asara

Unread postby Asara Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:20 pm

I still wonder why ethereal urn and mastery statstick of the same ilvl are different dps (especially on 880) on that list, don't they have the exact same stats? Probably some low iteration RNG shenanigans.
thats probaly because they give different values of int and mastery
Kenos

Unread postby Kenos Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:42 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/item=142166/ethe ... =1477:3454" target="_blank
http://www.wowhead.com/item=142507/brin ... s=605:1497" target="_blank
http://www.wowhead.com/item=134204/blea ... :1542:3474" target="_blank

A single point of mastery won't make such a visible difference though. Either way it's just a thing I noticed and it's only off on the arcane graphs, and only noticeably so in the 880 bracket. It doesn't really matter either way.
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:04 pm

A single point of mastery won't make such a visible difference though. Either way it's just a thing I noticed and it's only off on the arcane graphs, and only noticeably so in the 880 bracket. It doesn't really matter either way.
I'm kinda surprised to see that Rot trinket (forget the name, Icon of Rot?) so far down the list. I remember previously that swarming plaguehive was pretty far up there, not top of the line but not generic in the middle. This is essentially the new version of it, and it even received a +40% damage increase this past Tuesday.

Eh, I was excited for the trinket none the less. Just not sure how I feel about all the mastery stacking.
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Conatus78

Unread postby Conatus78 Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:40 pm

It blows my mind that an 860 Unstable Arcanocrystal is outranking everything under 900 (except an 890 Whispers). Is that really true? I ran some trials on the dummy last night and it was too close to call.
yarafx1

Unread postby yarafx1 Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:34 pm

It blows my mind that an 860 Unstable Arcanocrystal is outranking everything under 900 (except an 890 Whispers). Is that really true? I ran some trials on the dummy last night and it was too close to call.
Well the vers alone adds a 2 % damage increase then getting 2-2.5% on your other stats adds up....
Ddmagebags

Unread postby Ddmagebags Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm kinda surprised to see that Rot trinket (forget the name, Icon of Rot?) so far down the list. I remember previously that swarming plaguehive was pretty far up there, not top of the line but not generic in the middle. This is essentially the new version of it, and it even received a +40% damage increase this past Tuesday.

Eh, I was excited for the trinket none the less. Just not sure how I feel about all the mastery stacking.
Yeah I got a 900 Ilvl Icon of Rot W/ a Socket...and I'm like...Damn wish I could use it... :( Its a shame that a 865 Int Stick W/ Crit is better than a cool new trinket with a proc :( I have an 880 Moonlit Prism which is awesome with AP, but frustrating that I have to use an 865 and wait until I get a better stat stick....Damn Nightbane GIMME YOUR TRINKET
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:16 am

My Icon of Rot is pulling about 6% of my overall damage, beating out Touch of the Magi, Hidden Satyr, and sometimes Mark of Aluneth. Just in some of the tests I've done. It's doing solid damage output and the +stat is good imo. I just don't get how it's ranking so low
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:

Return to “Arcane”