[TC] Mage Armor vs Frost Armor

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Trustbucket

Re: [TC] Mage Armor vs Frost Armor

Unread postby Trustbucket Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:20 am

So I dabbled a little with frost armour last clear, and I was wondering while doing it: If you are running the 14242 haste breakpoint would it be an increase to run mage armour on certain fights like Malkorok or Dark Shamans where ABarr or even AE have a higher percent of damage done. Might just be going off of instinct but I would think mastery would be better for times of quick cleave where ABarr and AB will hit like a truck and do as much damage to the adds.

Obviously frost armour will be better when the target number is static because you will get more ABarrs off which will compensate the damage loss so its not something you can sim or anything but what do you guys think?
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:46 am

So I dabbled a little with frost armour last clear, and I was wondering while doing it: If you are running the 14242 haste breakpoint would it be an increase to run mage armour on certain fights like Malkorok or Dark Shamans where ABarr or even AE have a higher percent of damage done. Might just be going off of instinct but I would think mastery would be better for times of quick cleave where ABarr and AB will hit like a truck and do as much damage to the adds.

Obviously frost armour will be better when the target number is static because you will get more ABarrs off which will compensate the damage loss so its not something you can sim or anything but what do you guys think?
I don't really see dynamic target numbers changing anything. With higher mastery your ABar hits slightly harder, but with higher haste you just throw them more frequently, and the GCD is shorter. With higher haste, Frost Armor only keeps getting stronger, relative to Mage Armor. This is because Frost Armor is multiplicative.

Unless you're saying that the adds have a spawn timer that directly synchronize with your ABar timings, and it only synchronizes only when you use Mage Armor, and that the adds are unavailable for cleaving when you use Frost Armor instead, otherwise I cannot see any reasoning that it would favor Mage Armor. I feel fairly confident that this weird case is not happening.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Trustbucket

Unread postby Trustbucket Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:35 am

I don't really see dynamic target numbers changing anything. With higher mastery your ABar hits slightly harder, but with higher haste you just throw them more frequently, and the GCD is shorter. With higher haste, Frost Armor only keeps getting stronger, relative to Mage Armor. This is because Frost Armor is multiplicative.

Unless you're saying that the adds have a spawn timer that directly synchronize with your ABar timings, and it only synchronizes only when you use Mage Armor, and that the adds are unavailable for cleaving when you use Frost Armor instead, otherwise I cannot see any reasoning that it would favor Mage Armor. I feel fairly confident that this weird case is not happening.
Well obviously haste affects ABarr damage over a fight, as I said in my post. I'm saying when there is adds that are only up for a couple seconds and you only get one Abarr off on them, I would think it would be an increase to be higher mastery for that but probably less worth it if you are running 14242 haste build. Unfortunately it would be quite inconclusive to test in raids because of RNG like crits or procs.
Trustbucket

Unread postby Trustbucket Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:37 am

And as far as Abarr syncing, I don't think thats possible because missile procs are unreliable but it would be an increase to bank a missiles charge and ABarr early to get the extra cleve and hope you don't overwrite a missiles proc while going back to 4 charge.

Return to “Arcane”