Anyone else feel like quitting after quickening removal?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Dellirium

Anyone else feel like quitting after quickening removal?

Unread postby Dellirium Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:48 am

I know the community generally does not like Quickening as a concept, but I am definitively not identifying myself with the majority there...

Recent changes announced got me feeling quite hyped, because quickening was getting a change, from a somewhat problematic iteration where you had to keep it up and slow down your rotation, to a more risk/reward one where you actually should have cleared it every now and again.....

But then today's notes just got me depressed.
I do not think blizzard understands the consequences of what they did with this sort of removal. Quickening was a mobility talent, on top of a DPS talent. We all know that during our conserve phase we could spend a good 3-4 seconds just moving around not even casting... but i guess nobody in the dev team actually played arcane.

With Quickening and Ice Flows gone, the 2.4 seconds arcane blasts will surely be fun.... not to mention that you will no longer have a reason to do a barrageless conserve phase, which means you have to cast even more. Oh yea and NT getting nerfed, also means more casting coz of the other talent being the go-to now.

Sure we get Presence of Mind baseline... would be better if it had 2 charges on separate cds.... but even if not its.... 2 spells on 1.5 minutes. This is hardly helping the mobility issue.... but the worst part is... it does NOTHING for our evocation. And they think that "talent for arcane missiles on the move" will fix this... no way.

I have choosen this spec becouse it was fun, it made the "rush" feeling as you build stacks, get faster and faster, reaching the peak.... and now its just a stale, slow caster
mml

Re: Anyone else feel like quitting after quickening removal?

Unread postby mml Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:12 pm

I think its like a 25% nerf to overall damage for arcane mages with legendary legs.
u picked up temporal flux + quickening and due to legendary effect u could do serious damage. now after removing quickening we have 2 mandatory and good talents in last tier (overpower + temporal flux).
FCK blizzard logic. For the first time they did somethink good and then ruin it a week later. I dont mind losing quickening but pls for god sake move temporal flux to other tier so we can use actualy 2 good talents not to chose between them/
Forminasage

Unread postby Forminasage Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:39 pm

I think the new Quickening may have ended up being even more ridiculous than the old one given how quickly it would stack up. No lengthy build-up, no maintenance, just a super fast burn phase each and every time with little to no effort.

That being said, Temporal Flux does not feel like a 100 talent when compared to Overpowered (which will in all likelihood live up to its name unless it gets nerfed) or even Arcane Orb. There's just not an impactful gameplay change in it.
Zilentification

Unread postby Zilentification Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:43 pm

I didn't like Qning because it made the spec really punishing. And I already felt like Arcane was punishing enough.

If you messed up at all, all your stacks are gone and congratz, you have been throttling for no real reason now. If your stacks just slowly went down or anything else but a complete wipe, you would have at least a little leeway. But nope, you mess up and goodbye DPS.

I feel like there aren't many classes that could have their DPS completely destroyed by missing a single cast by half a second. Maybe spriest if bugger up their StM.

All this stems from the fact I am not a perfect player, and I never will be. If/When I make mistakes I want my dps to drop relative to the mistake I made, and this whole management of tenths of seconds with Quickening just killed my enjoyment of the spec.

Also I wouldn't lose hope about Ice flows just yet. It still is possible it will be made baseline in some (probably a weaker) form. And they posted that "there are few utility updates not yet on the PTR" which might make a large difference.
Arcane is always the correct spec. Always.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 876761/10/
Nanogiant

Unread postby Nanogiant Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:49 pm

I am happy they removed Quickening. It's the talent that makes me not want to play Arcane.
Causese

Unread postby Causese Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:18 pm

I would've prefered it aswell if they just added an alternative to quickening rather than removing it completely.
High risk - high reward is a challenging concept, will miss it for sure.

It's basically the same dilemma with shadow priest's surrender to madness with the difference that they get an alternative talent and ours just gets removed. (or so I heard)

I like overpowered though, it allows us to give less fucks about mana. If there's adds that need to die quickly while evocation is on cd, we can still go all in with mana since we no longer need a certain amount of mana before starting burns.
Joban

Unread postby Joban Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Could not disagree more. I was really excited for quickening when the talent trees first came out. But it has just been a nightmare to balance. I'm glad blizzard just swallowed their pride and scrapped it, as they so seldom do.
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:09 pm

I don't necessarily agree with your statement of "anyone else feel like quitting after quickening removal".

I think this is actually a good thing, and yes, it stinks that a talent that some persons do find enjoyable is going away. However, look at this from the grand perspective of it all.

You now have multiple variations of play that are all more level with one another based on what I'm seeing and reading. I fully intend on testing this change out later tonight when I'm home from work.

With overpowered you have high peaks and low valleys. Temporal Flux should level that all out as opposed to high peaks and low valleys, you'll have a more casual wave length going on there. It also prevents you from having to feel held back during any phase for the most part. No longer do you have to sit there throttling yourself. Blizzard has always said, if something is available, you should be able to use it. Current iterations on Live doesn't go with that logic. I find myself pushing larger DPS if I stop attacking for 5 seconds and then refreshing Quickening. Based on what Blizzard has stated in the past, and how odd it feels to play that way, I really doubt that was the intended result they wanted.

Temporal Flux is a compromise. It doesnt stack super high anymore, so in turn no more high NT ticks or MoA ticks due to haste, but at the same point, they're letting you maintain your speedy ABs.

Regardless of any perspective though, this is just something that needs to take it's course right now, and we won't know for 100% certain until PTR turns to Live.

But I do agree, it would have been nice to keep Quickening and maybe tweak the spell to better fit the needs of the player, rather than removing it, but either way, Blizzard may even hear that and take it into account.
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Battle Tag: Rue#1731
Character: Felona
Realm: Llane
Faction: Alliance
Jereko

Unread postby Jereko Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:25 pm

Temporal Flux is not powerful enough to be a level 100 talent. They'll need to nerf Overpowered to the ground to make you want to take it.

I will miss Quickening. Keeping your stacks up to 50 was a nightmare, but Arcane feels much cooler when you're casting stupid fast. Long slow casts are boring. If I wanted that, I'd play Destro lock. I imagine that with Temporal Flux no longer being a talent we take (at least so far on PTR, because honestly, who's taking that over Overpowered?), Haste will be an important stat for Arcane.
Naaldira

Unread postby Naaldira Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:19 pm

My concern is whether it will turn into - like OP said - just a stale caster. Under the new talent tree with these last changes, where is a player's skill supposed to give them any reward? All builds will basically just be spam your mana away till OOM and evocate. Rinse and repeat. There is no need to do anything to line up cooldowns, just hit them all at once when they're up. It's an incredibly mindless 'rotation' without managing quickening. Literally just spam AB, pres AM when available. Obviously that's the basis of our current gameplay but it becomes much more involved when you have to manage maintaining quickening stacks through movement and evocate and mechanics, etc.
Lahrast

Unread postby Lahrast Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 pm

I am happy they removed Quickening. It's the talent that makes me not want to play Arcane.
this was exactly my reaction, i think a lot of mages will react that way and arcane will become a popular spec again :)
Temporal Flux is not powerful enough to be a level 100 talent. They'll need to nerf Overpowered to the ground to make you want to take it.

I will miss Quickening. Keeping your stacks up to 50 was a nightmare, but Arcane feels much cooler when you're casting stupid fast. Long slow casts are boring. If I wanted that, I'd play Destro lock. I imagine that with Temporal Flux no longer being a talent we take (at least so far on PTR, because honestly, who's taking that over Overpowered?), Haste will be an important stat for Arcane.
if you want to cast stupidly fast you should try frost with its >60 apm playstyle.. :lol:
seoh

Unread postby seoh Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Overpowered with nearly any good legendary seems to lack any nuance at all.
danieltang34

Unread postby danieltang34 Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:41 am

I will quit arcane immediately if they remove quickening
It's the only skill with arcane
Without quickening the rotation is easy and boring as hell
PurpleEuphoria

Unread postby PurpleEuphoria Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:05 am

I'm never going to quit Arcane. We've been together through thick and thin since Wrath and I know the spec pretty damn well. I gotta say, I HATE the removal of Quickening. It made the spec fun and interesting. I used to be able to just zone out during raids and still maintain good DPS. Quickening has kept me on my toes and there's nothing more satisfactory than getting to your burns with a high quickening stack. I really like that Arcane requires talent to play, and not everybody can play it efficiently. Yes, it did make me feel special.

I'm always going to be an Arcane Mage, but I am going to miss the talent so much and I am NOT looking forward to another boring and easy rotation.
Dellirium

Unread postby Dellirium Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:40 am

I HATE the removal of Quickening. It made the spec fun and interesting. I used to be able to just zone out during raids and still maintain good DPS.
This is precisely on point with what I mean.... I choose this spec in order to have a high maintenence buff that makes it feel fast, amazing, strong. Temporal flux is in no way replacing that.... ever, not to mention it is never gonna be picked anyways because of Overpowered... Overall I think this is a quality of life change for players that cant manage the spec properly.... but it ruins any bits of fun it had....

I do not want to play a slow ass boring spec, and its 3 months into the expansion... cannot switch... just can't.
danieltang34

Unread postby danieltang34 Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:33 pm

I HATE the removal of Quickening. It made the spec fun and interesting. I used to be able to just zone out during raids and still maintain good DPS.
This is precisely on point with what I mean.... I choose this spec in order to have a high maintenence buff that makes it feel fast, amazing, strong. Temporal flux is in no way replacing that.... ever, not to mention it is never gonna be picked anyways because of Overpowered... Overall I think this is a quality of life change for players that cant manage the spec properly.... but it ruins any bits of fun it had....

I do not want to play a slow ass boring spec, and its 3 months into the expansion... cannot switch... just can't.
Without Q the rotation will be like... AB+AM until oom, then you either evo and repeat or AB+ABarr...of course while using CDs on cool down, but that's about it
In contrast it currently requires you to know and adapt to each fight, then you plan your stacks and bursts, which is so much fun :cry:
There are only very few fights that arcane can't build up stacks and dps properly, the only one that comes to my mind is the kharazhan last boss
there's not much to differentiate good and bad plays without quickening, which is quite important imo, it feels so good to do more and more dps as i know more about the mechanics and fights
Zilentification

Unread postby Zilentification Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:19 pm

There are only very few fights that arcane can't build up stacks and dps properly
there's not much to differentiate good and bad plays without quickening, which is quite important imo, it feels so good to do more and more dps as i know more about the mechanics and fights
Nythendra if you get mind controlled, SpiderBird during platform transitions, Eyetree is too finicky. Throttling your dps can really hurt your group. Guam is awkward (having to chase him during charges). I'd say 4/10 boss fights in current content make it hard to deal with Qning, although by no means impossible.

One of the reasons I'm happy its gone is I wont have to do retarded blink crap to avoid stacks dropping.
Arcane is always the correct spec. Always.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 876761/10/
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Honestly, if you're that unhappy with even the prospect of change, then you probably shouldn't be getting too attached to any class in the game.
*please note, I'm saying "you" as in everyone who's unhappy and just looking at this as "I QUIT"

I'm not saying that it doesn't suck when a skill that you've grown to love, but making the threat that you're going to "quit" over it? Stop being childish. Learn to overcome the change, instead of dwelling and griping over it.

For a bit of substance, I have been playing Arcane since vanilla. I've been through the high and low points of the spec, and when I was faced with something I didn't agree with, I didn't go incite the community about it. I simply made adjustments to my play style, or else I just shifted class for the duration of the distasteful change. When things got fixed up, I got excited and I came back to my mage with a golden glow over it. That's how most people do, unless they like to persevere through the changes, and in that case I commend them for their true dedication to the craft.

Do remember though, you're allowed to have your opinion, but when you try purposefully to incite a community without substance, then you're failing to convey your truest of message: You want the change to be reverted or modified to be more appealing

Just look at it like this. They're potentially removing Quickening. You'd be getting Temporal Flux which is a very low level quickening and fails to fully replace it. Nothing is set in stone on the PTR right now. So hold off on freaking out over it, and instead, turn that dwelling and griping you have right now about it, into something that can be useful for the community and yourself. Help us all find a way to challenge the Arcane Mage and make it into something better through constructive conversation.

If you really can't just get over it still, then I highly suggest you make a proper and valid argument, but take it over to the Blizzard PTR forums for 7.1.5 and not here, as this is just going to continue inciting the community over something that hasn't even happened yet.

I am sorry if this upsets anyone, but I feel that it needed to be said. All I'm seeing are people get worked up over this and go back and forth without directing the concerns where they should be, or restructuring the concern into something that can help us overcome the lack of the spell you've come to love.

Just remember, we're all human, we're all entitled to our opinions, but please, stop trying to incite the community here over it. Bring it to the people who can make the change you want, go to Blizzard and post it there, where they do monitor the forums regularly for feedback. In the meanwhile, get on the PTR, test out the variations from the changes they make. When this build comes out (if it does) where Quickening is removed, try it, play it with. It's like Play-Dough. Same thing underneath it all, but its what you do with it and how you shape it that makes it worth the while.

Just be well everyone.
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Battle Tag: Rue#1731
Character: Felona
Realm: Llane
Faction: Alliance
Naaldira

Unread postby Naaldira Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:43 am

I'd say 4/10 boss fights in current content make it hard to deal with Qning, although by no means impossible.
Thats the point. Quickening adds depth to the spec. It adds an area for the player to excel at differentiate themselves from other players. Removing quickening removes all nuance from the spec and makes it super basic, where the only place to 'play good' is the fight mechanics, which are always a factor for everyone and would be a factor even if you had a spec who literally had 1 spell.

It's definitely a disappointment in terms of taking a class that takes some skill and resource management and turning it into a very stale caster.

Before this we had the older mastery which relied on % mana and prismatic crystal, which both rewarded better play. Without those or quickening, Arcane is hardcore easymode 2 button rotation + cooldowns that you barely have to think about when to use. Just make sure you dont blow all your CD's right before evocating or right before the boss disappears, and you're optimal.
danieltang34

Unread postby danieltang34 Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:50 am

I'd say 4/10 boss fights in current content make it hard to deal with Qning, although by no means impossible.
Thats the point. Quickening adds depth to the spec. It adds an area for the player to excel at differentiate themselves from other players. Removing quickening removes all nuance from the spec and makes it super basic, where the only place to 'play good' is the fight mechanics, which are always a factor for everyone and would be a factor even if you had a spec who literally had 1 spell.

It's definitely a disappointment in terms of taking a class that takes some skill and resource management and turning it into a very stale caster.

Before this we had the older mastery which relied on % mana and prismatic crystal, which both rewarded better play. Without those or quickening, Arcane is hardcore easymode 2 button rotation + cooldowns that you barely have to think about when to use. Just make sure you dont blow all your CD's right before evocating or right before the boss disappears, and you're optimal.
Yep quickening is the whole point and only mechanic of arcane, it's like removing hot streak from fire ...

Return to “Arcane”