7.1.5 Mythic NH ArcaneMage Guide

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Duturu

7.1.5 Mythic NH ArcaneMage Guide

Unread postby Duturu Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Introduction

I have some mages on Sylvanas asking me for arcane tips, thought I would put out a Mythic NH guide for every boss that I have killed here. I will help out with rotations and when to use your cooldowns to get the most out of them.
https://www.wowprogress.com/character/e ... nas/Duturu" target="_blank
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... uru/simple" target="_blank
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 793/latest" target="_blank

Talents

Amplification
Shimmer
Rune of Power
Charged up
Chrono Shift
Erosion
Overpowered

I use the same set of talents for every boss. I 100% believe Shimmer should be used for every fight, 4 blinks is super valuable and the removal of gcd on it is amazing. You dont have to move on any of the bosses if you have shimmer, even the Trillax beam. Charged up is just preference, I played with CU even without the legendary legs.

Trinkets

Whispers in the Dark, super useful, if you are swapping between resonance and charged up, having this trinket should be why you should always go with charged up.

Urn/Slime statstick, they currently sim highest other than whispers. I'd use a statstick to balance out your secondary stats if you do not have a metronome.

Metronome, procs a ton of times, seems to average 2 stacks so it's like an overpowered statstick.

Pharamere's Forbidden Grimoire / Kiljaeden, best trinket for AoE fights like spellblade or chronomatic.

Macros
Opener Macros;
1TW + RoP:
/cast Time Warp
/cast Rune of Power

2AP+PoM+CU+AB:
/cast Arcane Power
/cast Presence of Mind
/cast Charged Up
/cast Arcane Blast

AoE trinket Macro;
/use Pharamere's Forbidden Grimoire
/cast Rune of Power

Swap Pharamere for Kiljaeden if you are using KJ. I also 90% of the time cast shimmer when RoP is channelning, if you don't want to make the decision then add /cast Shimmer after your trinket cast, really useful on spellblade where you cant cast Pharamere in melee range.

Whispers Macro;
/cancelaura Nefarious Pact

This is needed, if you are oom and cast evocation you use the macro the second you cast evocation to minmax the debuff you get.

BOSSES

Skorp

Positioning
Skorp has 2 abilities that you need to dodge, Focused Blast and Shockwave;
Focus Blast is a frontal line that deals damage and stuns you.
Shockwave is a nova which knocks you back, stand behind a crystal to avoid the knockback.
Save your blink whenever boss uses Focused Blast and Shockwave, you should have no problem with this boss whatsoever.

DPS
None looks are Skorp logs so DPS doesn't really matter on Skorp imo, some are delaying their opener so their guildies can take away at the damage reduction armor that he has. Kill goes slower that way, you can also arcane explosion on adds if you want a good log.

Chronomatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7OeUeGDUqU" target="_blank

Positioning
http://imgur.com/a/z8cif
The boss will always be pulled to the adds that spawns perpendicular to the boss. You will almost always be put in the side the boss WON'T be pulled to. Start off by standing between the boss and where the add will spawn.

Chronomatic has 2 abilities you need to dodge, Time Bomb and Temporal Orbs.
Time Bomb is a ticking bomb on you that does damage in a nova, the closer players are to this nova the more damage they take.
Temporal Orbs are orbs that releases in a nova from the middle in two waves.
You will always have one blink up for Time Bomb, blink is 20 yards which is far enough for Time Bomb to be released. Temporal Orbs you can either use Greater Invis to negate the double wave damage or just stand in the outer circle and blink to the middle of the room.

DPS
Boss is always moved whenever the adds are spawning, to min max you want to blink towards the boss from your starting location and use arcane missiles then displacement back and start attacking the add. Evocation should be used before the add dies and 4 mini ones spawn and rune of power can be used here for the quad add to die as soon as possible. Also use arcane barrage then double blink to the other side where the boss is tanked.
Your cooldowns will be lined up where it might feel wierd but you want to use RoP + AP asap, boss takes increased damage at the start of switching phase. Which is why the only cooldown you want to delay here is PoM which should be used at the end of RoP or as soon as the boss is switching phase.
Keep on using your blinks to get to the other side of the room, always position yourself between the boss and where the add will spawn as said before.

Trillax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTznNFOVJL8" target="_blank

Positioning
Trill has 5 abilities that you need to do, dodging Arcane Seepage and Annihilation plus doing Arcing Bonds, Cakes and bombs.
Arcane Seepage spawns on a random player, simply move out of it. Doesnt do a lot of damage.
Annihilation, boss stands in the middle of the room and shoots laser in front of him and backwards. One shots you.
Arcing Bonds, move to the second player that has it if you get hit by it.
Cakes, pick them up whenever possible.
Bombs, right click on them when they are about to explode.

Mechanics
Arcane Seepage - Just sidestep it, not too much dps loss.
Annihilation - Blinking to avoid it would net the highest damage instead of running and arcane explosioning.
Arcing Bonds - Just blink to the other player and stand still with it, doesnt deal too much damage.
Cakes - Blink to the location before it spawns.
Bombs - This is where you want to save your displacement, blinking and using displacement saves you a lot of air time. Also iceblock can be used and then right clicking the bombs, you wont fly up in the air and you wont take any damage.

DPS
Be sure to start at max range, you want the boss to be moving towards you so you don't have to move as much. Save your blink for the necessary mechanics such as doing bombs or grabbing cakes.
The most important part is the second add, you NEED to spell steal his mana buff, arcane explosioning on 2 targets net you higher DPS than arcane blasting on a single target. Why most people generally dont do this is because it drains too much mana, with the mana buff you can go crazy with arcane explosion and since it is instant cast you can freely move around. Other than that Trill is like a target dummy.

Spellblade Aluriel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0pZ6x3gAQ" target="_blank

Krosus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dglU0bWyR8M" target="_blank

Tichondrius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5HgHMq14s" target="_blank

High Botanist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAfDz-ZsrhM" target="_blank

Star Augur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZL88aAQsY" target="_blank
Last edited by Duturu on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Clutchykins

Re: 7.1.5 Mythic NH ArcaneMage Guide

Unread postby Clutchykins Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 pm

I think the biggest problem a mage is going to have in higher difficulties is learning the correct positioning, maybe you can go into detail about where you are positioning your toon to maximize your dps on encounters. I know that's my biggest problem in tackling Mythic, it always seems as if I'm struggling to get the best out of burst phases as it doesn't feel safe to stand still a lot of the time and with the randomized mechanics being thrown out that force movement, RoP gets disrupted quite often.
Duturu

Unread postby Duturu Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:51 am

Yeah, seems like most arcane mages know what to do. Positioning is probably the thing people need, I'll write about that. Thanks.

I'll update this on wednesday and record the bosses I kill and write where to position, for example on CA its super important.
Last edited by Duturu on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn

Unread postby Shawn Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 am

Grats on your Botanist kill.

I subscribed to your channel, definitely interested in seeing mythic bosses from Arcane PoV. Would be great to see the first bosses of NH as well.
Kelmor

Unread postby Kelmor Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:12 am

Thank you fo the guide, you made me use shimmer yesterday in NH fo the first time. I see what you mean. At least I fucked up my dps in thee fights by tying to run during Evo...AAAhh! And I don't know how many AM I broke up.

You have to learn the difference, but I think shimmer is stonger in NH. It's a question of training.

Your vids were a good help to get a feeling for shimmer. I'm with Shawn, show us more!

Do you use a maco fo not interrupting AM with AB? I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.
Mana,need Mana.
Duturu

Unread postby Duturu Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:01 pm

Thank you fo the guide, you made me use shimmer yesterday in NH fo the first time. I see what you mean. At least I fucked up my dps in thee fights by tying to run during Evo...AAAhh! And I don't know how many AM I broke up.

You have to learn the difference, but I think shimmer is stonger in NH. It's a question of training.

Your vids were a good help to get a feeling for shimmer. I'm with Shawn, show us more!

Do you use a maco fo not interrupting AM with AB? I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.
I've never gotten used slipstream thanks to having getting the boots as my first legendary, so I got too used to my blink not being on a gcd. Switched to slipstream and it just felt like I couldnt play reactionary, for example if I see bombs on trillax exploding I have to cancel my cast to blink there.

I think this is the thread that you are talking about https://www.altered-time.com/forum/view ... f=3&t=3839" target="_blank
mooky

Unread postby mooky Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:04 pm

To be honest I think the utilization of displacement is something that most people that try and play arcane don't use as much as they should. While using slipstream the amount of mobility you get out of both abilities more than makes up for not taking shimmer.
stevocate

Unread postby stevocate Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 pm

I've gotten many top 5 mythic parses this tier using the same talent setup for nearly every boss. If you like slipsteam use it, if you like shimmer use it. With the 2pc set bonus giving us tons of missile procs I see slipstream being very good.
Duturu

Unread postby Duturu Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:38 am

I've gotten many top 5 mythic parses this tier using the same talent setup for nearly every boss. If you like slipsteam use it, if you like shimmer use it. With the 2pc set bonus giving us tons of missile procs I see slipstream being very good.
The only reason I dont like slipstream is because I think its counterintuitive, you are saving your AM procs for RoP mini burn phase. You do not want to move in RoP cause of RoP and you should not get your evocation interrupted by a boss mechanic.
Slipstream seems to be more used as a "Oh shit" talent rather than a min-max talent. You get your evo interrupted? Your fault, improve. - Basically my mindset on it.

EDIT: I'll show what I mean in a couple of hours, people probably use slipstream on trillax whenever he uses his beam or they arcane explosion. Arcane explosion is not worth on 1 target which is why it will net you lower dps. Using shimmer to avoid beams is more efficent while arcane blasting.
Forrader

Unread postby Forrader Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:43 pm

You do not want to move in RoP cause of RoP and you should not get your evocation interrupted by a boss mechanic.
You can move around RoP, it has some area outside - so you can stay buffed and avoid some mechanics of the boss. While with shimmer you blink out and never get buffed
Shimmer on Trilliax rox for sure, but we have to remember that dead mage cant do dps at all :-)
Cames

Unread postby Cames Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:28 pm

The one thing about Slipstream that I like and use Is that I can often set up burn phases to end when I know I have movement and use Evocation during movement.

Examples: Krosus - Evocation during Burning Pitch, Trillax - After Annihilation moving back out of the Center

It also means I can bank some Arcane Missles as useful during ad hoc movement and Still DPS.

Examples - Fel Flame on Star Augur, Botanist almost anytime

So, I don't look at Slipstream as a way of avoiding having Evocation being interrupted. I use it as a tool to make movement somewhat more productive. I recognize that you can make similar arguments for Shimmer. So, I think this is more of a personal preference thing. I realize in my own play that I get used to having certain tools and Slipstream is one I am highly comfortable with.
Duturu

Unread postby Duturu Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:13 pm

The one thing about Slipstream that I like and use Is that I can often set up burn phases to end when I know I have movement and use Evocation during movement.

Examples: Krosus - Evocation during Burning Pitch, Trillax - After Annihilation moving back out of the Center

It also means I can bank some Arcane Missles as useful during ad hoc movement and Still DPS.

Examples - Fel Flame on Star Augur, Botanist almost anytime

So, I don't look at Slipstream as a way of avoiding having Evocation being interrupted. I use it as a tool to make movement somewhat more productive. I recognize that you can make similar arguments for Shimmer. So, I think this is more of a personal preference thing. I realize in my own play that I get used to having certain tools and Slipstream is one I am highly comfortable with.
Thing is, as I said before. Slipstream is not a min-max talent. You want to get to your evocation asap, you aren't gonna delay your evocation for first krosus burning pitch. You shouldnt even be in the center on trillax. I understand what you are saying but it's just not good for min-maxing imo.
TouchyMcfeel

Unread postby TouchyMcfeel Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:52 pm

I have a question regarding Trilliax... While the boss itself is not hard at all to deal with and most guild that approach mythic should be at least 3/10 if not more. I sort of struggle to min max on the boss. While I understand that banking AM before the rotation blade happen is important, I often find myself spamming AE once I've spent my AM charges up (this is during the rotating laser).

I believe there are better way to approach the boss on than spamming AE once your out of AM charges. There is standing on the edge and blink past the laser as it comes close to you, but that's risky cause you never know if he decides to just swap rotation the otherway around. So what do most people do? Spend up their 3x charges of AM and then spam the last bit with AE?

(Ps. Yes I use slipstream on this boss).
Kythos

Unread postby Kythos Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:12 pm

interesting conversation, First off currently 3/10 working on both krosus and spellblade...

shimmer vs slipstream...

I can see for min max why you could use shimmer: a few examples we might have forgot about,

you can shimmer back in forth on krosus and not have to strafe at all.
you can RoP shimmer for arcane explosion burst set ups ( skorp, spellblade, chono adds) if it gets scary or you get aggro displacement out...ABshimmer back in.

you can shimmer while casting AMs or EVO or ABs or MoA... less uninterrupted casts -> more dps.

I run slipstream, and have been running slipstream... but for some progression pulls I will look into trying Shimmer.

At the same time...

CU vs Resonance... min/max per mythic boss fight, go!
pewpewpewpewpew!
Discord: FlowMage#8037
http://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/arthas/Kythos
zatniktel

Unread postby zatniktel Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:41 am

890 erratic metronome or 860 arcanocrystal? just wondering what u would use
Aeonsil

Unread postby Aeonsil Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 am

Regarding Trilliax:

You can spellsteal Energised off the add, which gives you 5% mana/second for (up to) 30 seconds. As long as you're the only arcane mage, you'd better be the guy grabbing it every time.
Duturu

Unread postby Duturu Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:00 pm

I have a question regarding Trilliax... While the boss itself is not hard at all to deal with and most guild that approach mythic should be at least 3/10 if not more. I sort of struggle to min max on the boss. While I understand that banking AM before the rotation blade happen is important, I often find myself spamming AE once I've spent my AM charges up (this is during the rotating laser).

I believe there are better way to approach the boss on than spamming AE once your out of AM charges. There is standing on the edge and blink past the laser as it comes close to you, but that's risky cause you never know if he decides to just swap rotation the otherway around. So what do most people do? Spend up their 3x charges of AM and then spam the last bit with AE?

(Ps. Yes I use slipstream on this boss).
Of course it is kinda risky to blink past the laser and it randomly rotates, its bound to happen a few times. For me I always use my MoA + RoP before the laser so there is no RoP to be used during the laser. Then I shimmer and am super ready to displacement back if the boss do decide to turn around and fuck me.
890 erratic metronome or 860 arcanocrystal? just wondering what u would use
Arcano crystal everyday. Metronome is basically a haste statstick on steroids, arcanocrystal is like a methstick.
Also its much easier to fiddle around with your secondaries when you dont have any proc statsticks like metronome.
Regarding Trilliax:

You can spellsteal Energised off the add, which gives you 5% mana/second for (up to) 30 seconds. As long as you're the only arcane mage, you'd better be the guy grabbing it every time.
Or just be really triggerhappy and make sure to do it before the other arcane mage can do it ;)

I will be updating this guide again on wednesday, got my OBS working again so Im gonna try to record on wednesday.
Do you guys want mechanic recordings or orange parses recordings? Difference is like on trillax I don't jump on as many bombs.
Duturu

Unread postby Duturu Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:35 am

Added videos on all the bosses so far, sorry boys the first 4 kill videos are really shit cause they are on a farm rotation. So basically its get as good logs as you can or try to min max super hard (So standing in chronomatic balls cause they do minimal damage just to get casts off). You get an idea on how it works anyways. I will update trillax and spellblade on saturday then hopefully the rest on tuesday.

Return to “Arcane”