Arcane expectations for 7.2.5

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Bupawo

Arcane expectations for 7.2.5

Unread postby Bupawo Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:31 am

Hi everybody, I was wondering what you guys were expecting regarding 7.2.5 buffs/nerfs to arcane abilities. I've been playing arcane since day one of legion and I can say I'm pretty much tired of seeing that we've been bottom chart since the expac's beginning.

I'll start by saying that I know we're not the only spec needing attention, but this blue post triggered me quite a bit
:
Another key focus for this patch is on class design, particularly for a few specs that need some extra attention. We’re likely to end up making adjustments for many specs to some degree, but we’re currently looking primarily at:
Destruction Warlocks
Outlaw and Subtlety Rogues
Brewmaster and Mistweaver Monks
Havoc Demon Hunters
Guardian Druids
No mentions to arcane mage ( No fire either).
I think our dps should be addressed, since looking at logs at the 80th percentile( which I think should be revelant since 95th percentile and higher are mostly cheesed fights/perfect conditions) https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/11#dataset=80" target="_blank we're damned low. Results would be even worse if we consider that Skorpyron is showing aberrant data, because Skorp is the most cheesed fight and is so easy.

I've seen some great ideas on this thread from wow forum https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/top ... 818?page=1" target="_blank

Overall I think theses points should be looked at:

- Redundancy in talents choices (most are not competitive/relics from quickening).

- Melee AoE is really annoying in raids since we bring ranged mechanics into the melee's.

- Cleave is non-existent (apart from MoA).

- Spells visuals

- Mastery is so fucking bad once you get a mana regeneration legendary ( might not be that bad).

- We scale really badly with haste buffs ( Elisande/Gul'dan).

Thanks for reading/answering me, and btw English is not my mother tongue so don't be too rude about grammar.

Here's links to my armory/logs if anybody cares about it: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 92/latest/#" target="_blank
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/z ... awo/simple" target="_blank.
Tipsey

Re: Arcane expectations for 7.2.5

Unread postby Tipsey Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:41 am

I think it could be interesting if they added a buff or a hidden effect that after we cast arcane explosion we get considered melee for a short amount of time. Say 6 seconds? This would allow us to help out with melee mechanics if needed, providing we hit AE once every 6 seconds. It also wouldn't turn us into a permanent melee class like Holy Paladins or mistweavers.
maynord

Unread postby maynord Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 am

It's worth noting that Blizz are still ignoring AoE-heavy specs, because they probably feel if they buff the ST damage of an AoE spec too much, they'll become too dominant.

Which in theory makes sense, but in practice our spec is really falling behind in ST and ToS isn't shaping up to be an AOE-heavy raid. It's really frustrating.

IMO we just need adjustments to our stat scaling, there are no glaring issues with our kit, our utility, or our legendaries. I would also love if they replaced/massively buffed the waste of space that Temporal Flux is at the moment.
Beardedflea

Unread postby Beardedflea Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Personally I believer quickening can work really well and be competitive to overpowered, as i honestly feel Temporal flux is such a lackluster talent for lvl110 and I have noticed not many mages have used this talent at all since its inception.
gurudox

Unread postby gurudox Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Our cleave can be addressed easily by increasing the proc chance of Touch of the Magi, and allowing it to proc from Arcane Missiles in addition to Arcane Blast.

Right now it's such an insignificant amount of our DPS considering that it's a gold trait. They really need to put some focus here.
Arindiel

Unread postby Arindiel Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:25 pm

They will just buff fire because there are too many people that qq in the forums while arcane mages have close to 0 representation.
They will fix the double ice lance bug but give them something else in return.
Because arcane mages dont qq enough my guess is that blizzard wont change much.I give 50% to leave it as it is,30% to nerf something(maybe our AOE or ST burst) and 20% to buff us but not enough so we will probably stay middle of the pack
Ianarion

Unread postby Ianarion Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 am

I don't think they'll increase our cleave. That's edging in on frost's 2-target niche and fire's ignite spread niche.

Arcane explosion is pretty strong on 4+ targets, especially in situations like Tichondrius bats. That's kind of arcane's niche.

Our single target needs addressing, it's not nearly good enough considering how poor we are with movement.
timmywitt

Unread postby timmywitt Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Most recent PTR Build:

Arcane Barrage (Arcane) Launches bolts of arcane energy at the enemy target, causing [ 1 + 130% 157.3% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage.

Arcane Blast Blasts the target with energy, dealing [ 192.4% [ 232.8% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage. Damage increased by 60% per Arcane Charge. Mana cost increased by 125% per Arcane Charge. Generates 1 Arcane Charge Mage - Arcane Spec. 3% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. 2.2 sec cast.

Arcane Explosion Causes an explosion of magic around the caster, dealing [ 75% [ 90.75% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to all enemies within 10 yards. Damage increased by 60% per Arcane Charge. Mana cost increased by 125% per Arcane Charge. Generates 1 Arcane Charge if any targets are hit. Mage - Arcane Spec. 2% of Base Mana. Instant.

Arcane Missiles Launches five waves of Arcane Missiles at the enemy over 2 sec, causing a total of [ 5 + 221.5% 268% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage. Damage increased by 60% per Arcane Charge. Each damaging spell cast has a 15% chance to activate Arcane Missiles. Chance doubled for Arcane Blast. Limit 3 charges. Generates 1 Arcane Charge. Mage - Arcane Spec. 40 yd range. 2 sec cast (Channeled).

Arcane Orb Launches an Arcane Orb forward from your position, traveling up to 40 yards, dealing [ 500% [ 605% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to enemies it passes through. Grants 1 Arcane Charge when cast and every time it deals damage. Arcane Mage - Level 100 Talent. 1% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. Instant. 20 sec cooldown.

Nether Tempest Places a Nether Tempest on the target which deals [ 12 + 4.7% 5.69% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage over 12 sec to the target and [ 0.1% of Spell Power ] to all enemies within 10 yards. Limit 1 target. Damage increased by 60% per Arcane Charge. Limited to 1 target. Arcane Mage - Level 90 Talent. 1.5% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. Instant.

Supernova Pulses arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing [ 170% [ 205.7% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them upward. A primary enemy target will take 100% increased damage. Arcane Mage - Level 60 Talent. 40 yd range. Instant. 25 sec cooldown.

In other news, Frost damage buffed across the board BUT Thermal Void only increases Icy Veins by 1 second instead of 2.

Fire still sucks haha.
zaaah

Unread postby zaaah Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:29 pm

I thought most of the damage increases to the base spells for frost and arcane are pvp only changes.
Ultima

Unread postby Ultima Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:03 pm

I do not think those are actually buffs, I think blizzard is just changing things on the back end with how they implemented a previous buff.

Arcane Mage Increases damage/healing of Arcane Barrage, Arcane Blast, Arcane Explosion, Arcane Missiles, Arcane Orb, Explosion, Nether Tempest, Supernova, Time and Space, Zangarmarsh Arcane Missiles by 21% 0%. Increases periodic damage/healing of Nether Tempest by 21%. Mage - Arcane Spec. 0%. Mage - Arcane Spec.

If you take one of those from above and multiply by 1.21 (21% more) you get the new value they are assigning.

Arcane missiles was 221.5%. Multiply by 1.21 and you get the 268% they are showing.

Official notes also do not show any buffs. Just the TV nerf for Frost.
Thudderson

Unread postby Thudderson Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:26 pm

I was fire for the first few months then switched to arcane around ToV. I am a pretty bad player (like I can't even begin to do the artifact challenge). The t20 4pc looks pretty fun but I really can't decide whether I can be bothered to reroll. I have bis legendaries as well and I still pull pretty poor numbers like 500-600k on heroic gul'dan
Bupawo

Unread postby Bupawo Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:49 am

Most recent PTR Build:

Arcane Barrage (Arcane) Launches bolts of arcane energy at the enemy target, causing [ 1 + 130% 157.3% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage.

Arcane Blast Blasts the target with energy, dealing [ 192.4% [ 232.8% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage. Damage increased by 60% per Arcane Charge. Mana cost increased by 125% per Arcane Charge. Generates 1 Arcane Charge Mage - Arcane Spec. 3% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. 2.2 sec cast.

Arcane Explosion Causes an explosion of magic around the caster, dealing [ 75% [ 90.75% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to all enemies within 10 yards. Damage increased by 60% per Arcane Charge. Mana cost increased by 125% per Arcane Charge. Generates 1 Arcane Charge if any targets are hit. Mage - Arcane Spec. 2% of Base Mana. Instant.

Arcane Missiles Launches five waves of Arcane Missiles at the enemy over 2 sec, causing a total of [ 5 + 221.5% 268% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage. Damage increased by 60% per Arcane Charge. Each damaging spell cast has a 15% chance to activate Arcane Missiles. Chance doubled for Arcane Blast. Limit 3 charges. Generates 1 Arcane Charge. Mage - Arcane Spec. 40 yd range. 2 sec cast (Channeled).

Arcane Orb Launches an Arcane Orb forward from your position, traveling up to 40 yards, dealing [ 500% [ 605% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to enemies it passes through. Grants 1 Arcane Charge when cast and every time it deals damage. Arcane Mage - Level 100 Talent. 1% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. Instant. 20 sec cooldown.

Nether Tempest Places a Nether Tempest on the target which deals [ 12 + 4.7% 5.69% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage over 12 sec to the target and [ 0.1% of Spell Power ] to all enemies within 10 yards. Limit 1 target. Damage increased by 60% per Arcane Charge. Limited to 1 target. Arcane Mage - Level 90 Talent. 1.5% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. Instant.

Supernova Pulses arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing [ 170% [ 205.7% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them upward. A primary enemy target will take 100% increased damage. Arcane Mage - Level 60 Talent. 40 yd range. Instant. 25 sec cooldown.

In other news, Frost damage buffed across the board BUT Thermal Void only increases Icy Veins by 1 second instead of 2.

Fire still sucks haha.

Would be too good if theses where not only applying the aura buff to our spells.

Thudderson, considering Arcane is one of the worst on Gul'dan, 600k would be around 80th percentile which is somewhat good. So I wouldn't say these are poor numbers.

I mean I do think we'd need somewhat of a buff on st/cleave, since like most people mentioned, we're really strong on burst AoE, but that's like 1 fight in 3. Maybe a little touch of the magi buff, or making Arcane Orb baseline would help. These are some of the ideas I've seen not taking too much effort from blizzard, while still somewhat making the problem much less of a problem lol. It would also make a spot for a new talent in the lvl100 row. I'd really like have more variety over there.
Causese

Unread postby Causese Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:35 am

seems like those are pve changes (buffs)
https://gyazo.com/64a0804b5b9c8ec228261f16dc8c9eb2" target="_blank (notice the 4.5m crit, 1.3m~ up from live)

arcane missiles is currently bugged, it targets you instead of your target (you basically kill yourself if you AM)
it only happens after casting evocation, hope they fix it so I can properly test dps gain

new trinket seems nice since it pairs with arcane power cd
https://gyazo.com/44301596fb398cf583b1550fd55810e7" target="_blank

curious if we use it prepull/few seconds after pulltimer

edit:
also farm https://gyazo.com/efb2dec7791bd6c1313ea11abbfd75cb" target="_blank
or go home. it's aleardy worth 35-40ilvl on live

edit2:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8J ... &end=49605" target="_blank
can't notice AM buff metioned on mmo champ :roll:
Last edited by Causese on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bupawo

Unread postby Bupawo Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 am

Wow if this goes live our dps will be so high!

The trinket is basically a controllable Chronoshard lol. Looking at my logs AP is usually up at the 7th second mark, so I would say on pull. Don't know about what's up with later in the fight tho. We may want to delay our burn phase a bit if it means 2-3 more AB cast during AP. Would love to test that.
Doty

Unread postby Doty Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:34 pm

if arcane pulls ahead on single target the mage community will rage so hard.
And I like it :)
Poly

Unread postby Poly Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Also there is a bug with the Arcane Charges resetting on Boss pull but the mana cost for Arcane Blast staying the same which is in the game since Legion launch.
Example:You have 4 charges pre pull -> Boss pull -> charges reset to 0 -> ab's mana cost is still the same as if you had 4 charges while its damage is at 0 charges. I have reported this pretty much every patch via Bug Report. Still nothing.

If really feel like they are ignoring Arcane.
Emmerde

Unread postby Emmerde Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:00 am

If really feel like they are ignoring Arcane.
There's another, worse option. They might be redesigning it, that's why they do not put any effort and don't even bother fixing bugs, since why would you spend time fixing something that's going to be removed/changed very soon.
Ianarion

Unread postby Ianarion Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:56 am

Our spec has already been redesigned three times this expansion (originally, quickening redesign, quickening removal). Isn't that enough for one expansion?
Yugi Mutou

Unread postby Yugi Mutou Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:11 pm

I just wangt Quicken back.But I think they are ignoring Arcane
magicmikeyy

Unread postby magicmikeyy Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 pm

hi my name is magicmikeyy, my friends call me mike and have been playing arcane mage since BC. Along the way i've kept track of how (not just arcane) but the three specs produce numbers up against ever boss that i've face in all of raiding thus far, in terms of different styles of fights that have evolved over time, from single targets to aoe fights. to make it short......first of all i would like to address my main spec which is arcane, and speak for the players who are playing arcane around the world and what some of there fustrations may or may not be in previous expansions and up to legion. so far we have been lacking mobility since who know's when. the only time we can produce a decent amount of numbers is when find a space and time to dps where we stand for a small amount of time and hoping to sustain our dps without dieing in the process, and if we move too much in the fact that we are trying to follow mechanics our dps dramatically drops even for just a few seconds and it never stay's up in the sustainability zone. To me this is fustrating to see week in and week out with every raid, and the ability to recover or boost your numbers is nearly impossible if not at all. second of all we lack dots, the only time i get to use a dot is when we use our artifact weapon or maybe one other ability, unlike warlocks and other classes that uses dots to help sustain and support their dps while they back that up with their main abilities to hit even harder and so forth. i feel like arcane mages have been getting the short end of the straw for way too long, and its time this issue is address if you can understand my fustration as well as other players who play arcane mages around the world. i love mages in general, not just arcane but fire and frost as well, but arcane has been nerfed (as well as some other classes) for a very long time now, seems like with every patch and expansion its always "up and down" throughout every expansion, in which alot or some of the players around the world reroll to other classes for higher dps. And once again in legion 7.2 arcane mages have been at the bottom of the charts on the dps meters. don't get me wrong i still play my mage, but not as much anymore. but i hope someday that arcane will be great and steady again. i just want my voice to be heard and some of the struggles i've been going through with this class and spec over the years, from guild to guild, and realm to realm, etc.

Return to “Arcane”