Tarnished Sentinel Medallion and AP

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
t0pson

Tarnished Sentinel Medallion and AP

Unread postby t0pson Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:41 am

Hey everyone,

so Trinket Sims say that Tarnished Sentinel Medallion is by far the best ST Trinket.

I got it on 915 today and the On Use Effect triggers for about 3.8m Dmg, if i line it up with AP its 6m Dmg. Now i am wondering how i should use it the most efficient way.
Delaying AP is not the thing i guess as one does not delay AP. Should i use the Trinket on Cooldown where it will pair with the AP at 6min mark again, or delay the Trinket and use it on the 3min Mark with AP again?

What are your thoughts on that Trinket, also for Mythic+, where u will often swap Itemsets to make use of all your Legendaries, like switching in GS for a Evocation after a Fight.

Also i guess it should only be used in full Singletarget fights?
Urca

Re: Tarnished Sentinel Medallion and AP

Unread postby Urca Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:41 am

I just got it and i was asking the same question, i guess it goes down to how many APs you can get in a fight. dont think you want to lose an AP

Edit: and it looks like haste becames top stat. still running sims
Forrader

Unread postby Forrader Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:24 am

Let's stick to your numbers - 3.8M dmg without AP and 6M dmg with AP
Examples:
a) Fight is 3 min 30 sec long:
-use on CD: 2 procs max: 6M + 3.8M = 9.8M
-sync with AP: 2 procs max: 6M + 6M = 12M
Result: sync with AP
b) Fight is 4 min 30 sec long:
-use on CD: 3 procs max: 6M + 3.8M + 3.8M = 13.6M
-sync with AP: 2 procs max: 6M + 6M = 12M
Result: use on CD
c) Fight is 8 min 30 sec long (you can delay last AP to line up with trink):
-use on CD: 5 procs max: 6M + 3.8M + 3.8M + 6M + 6M = 25.6M
-sync with AP: 4 procs max: 6M + 6M + 6M + 6M = 24M
Result: use on CD and delay last AP

So in the end it is very dependant on the length of the fight and also some mechanics. General idea - maximize number of uses but be smart and line up CDs when possible and you are not going to loose one more CD by the end of the fight
Zlimex

Unread postby Zlimex Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:01 am

So I got a 925 one today, and ive tested it abit on targetdummies. It shows the effect being about 7-9% of all my damage, which seems abit low (concidering I have to sacrifice alot of int and other good effects for it). If the trinket is as good as the sims say, I must be doing something wrong. ATM i'm using it on CD when I use RoP. Seems really smooth and it always lands well with an AP or MoA.
Jhazz

Unread postby Jhazz Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 am

I would imagine the reason it is (/appears) so broken for us is that either the effect has a chance to proc on each individual wave of missiles, or the sim API believes it does. Ie, 5 chances per single use of arcane missiles.

Either way, the best way to use this trinket has to be making sure you have 3 charges of missiles before activating, and pumping in as many as possible during.
seoh

Unread postby seoh Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:06 am

You want to hold it for ap/rop/hero. It's interaction with haste is the important part so thats what you care about.
Zulandia
Global Moderator

Unread postby Zulandia Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:23 am

the effect has a chance to proc on each individual wave of missiles, or the sim API believes it does. Ie, 5 chances per single use of arcane missiles.
Both. In-game testing indicated procced per tick so this is how it was modeled in SimC (though this is outside the scope of the APL for reference). That said with the on-hit portion being RPPM while it has some synergy with missile ticks RPPM being a weighted proc system still keeps this mostly in check. The real reason it is so strong is the multiple very potent multipliers arcane has for it (AP/OP, RoP, Weapon etc)
Naustis

Unread postby Naustis Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 am

You always want to use TSM on CD. If fights is longer than 4 minutes always delay AP to line it with Owl.
That was wrong :d
It works only for fights shorter than 4,5 minutes, where u won't use more than 3 AP total anyway.

To cut this misinformation. Below you can find how Owl (TSM) should be used. All credits goes to Feefhy:
So the thing with Arcane is that you want to stack most of your CDs together.
Since our most important CD is AP(OP) because of the +60%dmg (and mana also), we tend to try managing everything around the AP CD.
So, back to the owl, the CD is 2min, so you can't sync it properly with AP (1min30) and you have to make some choices (the usual question being "Should I always sync it with AP or should I use it on CD ?"). Well the truth is : the decision is pretty easy to take if you know the fight better since this decision depends purely on fight length !

Let me explain by taking various examples of fights with different lengths:

-If the fight length is from 0:00 to 1:59; you'll be able to cast 2xAP and 1 owl; so owl should be used with 1rst AP on pull.

-If the fight length is from 2:00 to 3:00; you'll be able to cast 2xAP and 2 owl; so owl should be used with 1rst AP on pull and once again, at least 20sec before the boss dies, if possible during others +%dmg CDs (RoP, T20 PoM)

-If the fight length is from 3:00 to 4:00; you'll be able to cast 3xAP and 2 owl; so owl should be used with 1rst AP on pull and once again with the AP at 3:00 (or 20sec before boss dies).

-If the fight length is from 4:00 to 4:30; you'll be able to cast 3xAP and 3 owl; so owl should be used with 1rst AP on pull, once again around 2:00 and again around 4:00 (try to always sync it with RoP and T20 PoM i if possible).

I could go forever with this, but I'll stop here since I think the idea is pretty clear:

You should sync owl with AP (and as many +%dmg CDs) as long as it doesn't reduce the number of owl uses !
It becomes a bit harder to estimate when there's different damage modifiers in the fight but you can follow this rule 90% of the time.
The rest is up to you and your knowledge about fights and their usual duration.

Return to “Arcane”