[7.3+] Arcane Guide - Updated: December 3, 2017

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
wannalink

Re: [7.2.5] Arcane Guide - Updated: July 11, 2017

Unread postby wannalink Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 am

[EDIT]Minor nitpick: What is the "lemon herb filet" food that the APL recommends? Is that some placeholder that gets swapped out for 500 int food? WoWhead seems to imply that it's food that gives you a straight up 1% versatility, which I guess would be 350ish versatility rating ?
Thanks again
Darkmoon Faire recipe, it gives you 1% versatility, which equals ~475 vers rating. Unfortunately you can't use it during Mythic+ runs, only before the start.
So am I missing something, or does your priority list not really take advantage of the free Arcane Charges from 2PT20? This and the the Simcraft APL seems to always pop POM at 4 charges and then just launch into the burn phase; wouldn't it be more beneficial to throw out an Arcane Barrage before that, then POM/AP and start burning-- especially if you're using the Mantle of the First Kirin Tor?
Current APL is wrong indeed, i was messing with it to add ABarr -> PoM for T20_2pc, and got ~0.7% DPS increase on ST fight.
Cames

Unread postby Cames Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 am

You would like to start a burn phase with 4 charges and you will not be guaranteed that even with the shoulders.
wannalink

Unread postby wannalink Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:44 pm

You would like to start a burn phase with 4 charges
T20 2 piece gives you 4 charges when you activate PoM, so it is guaranteed.
Dikembe

Unread postby Dikembe Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Priority list/rotation sections are a little outdated as I've been making APL changes since this guide went up. For example, MoA is now precast and Arcane Barrage happens before mini-burns, so both situations benefit appropriately from 4 AC from T20.

Hoping to update those sections soon.
Dikembe

Unread postby Dikembe Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey thanks a lot of this updated guide, but I have a question for you: How close (or far apart) are the sims for deadly grace vs prolonged power?
Added your question to the FAQ.
Dikembe

Unread postby Dikembe Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Is it correct to save Tarnished Sentinel Medallion for AP or use it when available with RoP after the first burn phase?
You should save it for AP, unless the boss will die before that happens.
Dikembe

Unread postby Dikembe Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for all the hard work on the guide and the APL!

Could someone clarify a couple of points for me?

1. Should I save Presence of Mind for burn phases, or use it on-cooldown?

The APL seems to indicate that it'll delay a burn phase until it can start it with PoM when you have the tier 20 2-piece damage buff, but the conserve phase description indicates that you should use it on cooldown except when your next burn phase is 30+ seconds away. I guess if I follow the script the same way a computer would, I'd end up casting PoM exactly every 90 seconds when I do a burn phase, and lose out on some PoM casts over the course of the fight. (Unless I get lucky with T20 4-piece reductions and PoM comes off cooldown 30+ seconds away from a burn phase.. and then it sounds like it might delay the whole burn phase past when Arcane Power comes off cooldown)
Yes, burn phase will indeed be delayed to wait for PoM if you have T20. I think you're misreading the conserve phase though; you can use it if AP is still on cooldown for like 20+ seconds. It'll typically be back up before burn is ready.
2. When does the burn phase end? It looks in the script like it ends when you run out of mana, but it seems like in a lot of WarcraftLogs parses people just evocate at some random time ~20 seconds after starting their burn phase, even though they're still at 50% mana or more
Might be encounter-specific, i.e., avoid desyncing Evo from AP too much so you can ensure a tighter burn timing for some specific window.
3. How does the conserve phase work with the kilt legendary? Looking at WarcraftLogs parses and asking random mythic arcane mages, it sounds like they just burn their mana down to 50% every time, then enter a normal conserve phase where they repeatedly build to 4 arcane charges and arcane barrage until Arcane Power comes off cooldown
Conserve phase is exactly the same. Only differences I found so far: during RoP you can Arcane Explosion to about 60% mana before Barrage, and Arcane Blast indefinitely.
4. What's the optimal AoE DPS rotation for the new arcane shoulders? (They have a 10% chance to shoot a free Arcane Orb per Arcane Charge consumed by Arcane Barrage). I've been getting some 97th+ percentile parses for my gear level on Mistress Sassin' Me by building 4 Arcane Charges with Arcane Explosion and then just hitting Arcane Barrage immediately, but I don't think there's enough data to say that means it's a good strategy.
As of right now the only change with Mantle is to your burn phase, where you Barrage at 4 AC as long as there's more than 2 targets. The high chance of launching an Orb at 3+ targets ends up being a DPS increase.

The amount of Barrages actually prolongs your "burn" phase for like the whole fight. There may be a better way to use Mantle but I haven't found it yet.
[EDIT]Minor nitpick: What is the "lemon herb filet" food that the APL recommends? Is that some placeholder that gets swapped out for 500 int food? WoWhead seems to imply that it's food that gives you a straight up 1% versatility, which I guess would be 350ish versatility rating ?
Yeah, it's literally 1% Versatility. It doesn't add to your rating afaik but does increase the percentage.
davesignal

Re: [7.2.5] Arcane Guide - Updated: July 13, 2017

Unread postby davesignal Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:27 pm

So, wait, is 4PT20 actually worth using? I was under the impression that if you had two pieces of 900+ Tier 19 it was better to use 2PT19/2PT20. Simming myself seemed to support this.
Dikembe

Unread postby Dikembe Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:45 pm

So, wait, is 4PT20 actually worth using? I was under the impression that if you had two pieces of 900+ Tier 19 it was better to use 2PT19/2PT20. Simming myself seemed to support this.
I mean, I can't really tell you one way or another whether you should use it. Use your own judgment based on your gear, different sim results, and whatever encounter you're walking into. I will say that 2PT19 retains a lot of its effectiveness on single-target because of the increased AM procs. On AoE where you're casting less missiles, it's not as beneficial.
Zarbin

Unread postby Zarbin Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:38 am

Guide should probably include a blurb about displacement because it is amazing and underrated and I'm fairly sure the only limit to it's range is across zones. Can be used to cheese falling damage, knockback gimmicks, and any time you have to move off of your run.
Aégwynn

Unread postby Aégwynn Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:25 pm

I must say its good to have guides that help. Like this one says stats are not clean cut for Arcane. Although one thing I liked is the Trinket that drops from the sisters of the moon with that owl. It goes well with us. I have recently got the Cord of Infinity which is ok but I find the 2 Rings the best although annoying when there are no other mages in my group or no Drums to use.
Dikembe

Unread postby Dikembe Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 am

Guide should probably include a blurb about displacement because it is amazing and underrated and I'm fairly sure the only limit to it's range is across zones. Can be used to cheese falling damage, knockback gimmicks, and any time you have to move off of your run.
That's a good point actually. A lot of people don't exploit Displacement enough.
Rinoa
Administrator

Re: [7.2.5] Arcane Guide - Updated: July 14, 2017

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 am

Stickied.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
arby

Unread postby arby Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:59 am

Quick question: Is it worthwhile sacrificing approx 3 ilvls + better stats to hang onto the 2pc T19 if you have the flexibility to have both T19 and T20 2pc?
Thudderson

Unread postby Thudderson Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:32 am

Quick question: Is it worthwhile sacrificing approx 3 ilvls + better stats to hang onto the 2pc T19 if you have the flexibility to have both T19 and T20 2pc?
You're the only one who can answer that question. Go to raidbots and sim yourself
Vorrum

Unread postby Vorrum Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:27 pm

You should add a buffs section for food/flasks/runes. In this section you may also wanna add how nice it is to have paladins give arcane mages blessing of wisdom. :D
Dikembe

Unread postby Dikembe Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 pm

You should add a buffs section for food/flasks/runes. In this section you may also wanna add how nice it is to have paladins give arcane mages blessing of wisdom. :D
I don't think that's necessary. There's only one flask and rune you can use. And with the introduction of Lavish Suramar Feasts a lot of people are just using that for convenience/frugality. The "best" food from person to person would likely be different based on stats, too.

Re: BoW, if you can avoid drawing the ire of all your healers, it's alright I guess. :)

Where n = number of BoW's on the Mage.
Vorrum

Re: [7.2.5] Arcane Guide - Updated: July 19, 2017

Unread postby Vorrum Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Nice, I'd also like to ask which race is best for arcane? Surely its changed with gear?
Calypssai

Re: [7.2.5] Arcane Guide - Updated: July 19, 2017

Unread postby Calypssai Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:04 am

Can you please link a video that goes over more than just the burn phase and opener? I need clarification on the conserve phase. Are we seeking to stay above 90% mana the entire time? I have seen other guides on this forum that suggests staying above 10%. Any clarification would be great.
Deithy

Unread postby Deithy Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Hey thanks a lot of this updated guide, but I have a question for you: How close (or far apart) are the sims for deadly grace vs prolonged power?
Added your question to the FAQ.

Uhm... wouldn't Deadly Grace be better if you have Sentinel trinket, because it should count as another spell hit thus having chance to proc the special effect?

Is it correct to save Tarnished Sentinel Medallion for AP or use it when available with RoP after the first burn phase?
You should save it for AP, unless the boss will die before that happens.

And what about the other way around? Saving AP for Sentinel trinket?

Return to “Arcane”