A Journey to Improve - Analyzing your Arcane Parses

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Signet

A Journey to Improve - Analyzing your Arcane Parses

Unread postby Signet Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:30 pm

*Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Naustis, hope he doesn't mind I used him as an example!*

I thought I’d post a recap of my journey to track down why my Arcane parses have been struggling when compared to a few of the elite parsers (namely Deltoramasta & Naustis…great sources of input for us Arcane mages on these forums). After pouring over logs and Naustis’ 7.2.5 Arcane Rotation video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTQJko8OPhw), I think I figured my issue out. I assume there are others out there who are looking to get more out of their rotations, so hopefully this gives you some pointers on where to start.

TLDR: I discovered that I was not delaying my ROP casts enough to ensure they stacked with my AP/Burn phases consistently.

Part 1 – Let’s Study Some Logs:
I assume you are already logging and uploading to https://www.warcraftlogs.com/. If not, go the site and read up, it is an easy process and only one person in the raid needs to do it. I specifically look for a parse of similar timed kills on the same difficulty, and in this case, I was looking at my Heroic Fallen Avatar kill’s horrible parse (6:59 kill) vs. Naustis’ Heroic Avatar kill (6:19).

If you’re a complete novice to Warcraftlogs, they can be a little confusing to navigate. Here’s how you would find Naustis’ log and dig in, as an example:

1. Search for Naustis in the search box at the top

2. Make sure you click on “Heroic” Rankings and confirm you’re looking at Arcane parses (you can click the other specs to filter by them as well). In this case, I’m looking for Fallen Avatar, so I’ll click on that next.

3. After clicking on the boss you’re interested in, it will show you all the captured parses. At the time of my research there were two, and I picked the highest DPS one (903K from Jul 5).

4. This will bring you to the Raid’s parse for this Fallen Avatar kill, and we are looking for just Naustis’s parse, so find that row and click on his name.

5. We’re now looking at Naustis’ parse for this Fallen Avatar kill. We default to the “Damage Done” tab (look at top menu), but you should become familiar with these various Tabs at the top on Warcraft logs so you can check out the gear used (Summary tab), timing of casts/buffs (Buffs tab), etc.

6. I usually start by looking at the number of casts of AM/AB/etc. to see how close they are to my parse. In this case, they are at least in the ballpark. The key to finding my specific issue comes from using the FILTERS for Source Auras (look right between the graph and the table on the left side). Knowing that Arcane mages do most of their damage in big bursts in our Burn phase, I started by clicking on the “Arcane Power Filter” and see the graph (below).

7. I followed the exact same steps above to pull up MY OWN Fallen Avatar parse and filter to just the AP phase of my fight to compare. (Here is what mine looks like).

8. My opener looked pretty similar, and there are clearly 4 distinct phases of AP/burn, but there was seriously something wrong with my output here as the “spikes” (aka damage) are much lower...especially in my 3rd and 4th window. After playing around with the filters and looking into this, it was pretty clear to see the ROP was the main culprit. Let’s add the ROP filter to both mine and Naustis’ graphs now and compare (note: this is filtered by AP active and ROP active at the same time).

9. Here is Naustis’ parse (AP + ROP)

10. And here is my parse (AP + ROP). Yup…that’ll do it.

11. So, it’s obvious I did not have ROP running during my AP phases outside of my opener and contributed to a huge DPS loss. It was time to dig into the Video Evidence to figure out WTH I was doing wrong.

Part 2: Let’s Go to the Video:
I specifically used Naustis’ logs for comparison, because he has a great video on YouTube where he shows his Arcane rotation.

Give it a View and a Like if you haven’t done so already. I spent a little too much time digging into this video, but I eventually found my issue. I broke the video down into the basic BURN/CONSERVE phases and kept track of the timing/CDR of key buffs (MOA, POM, AP, ROP). Comparing this to my own playstyle and captured videos, I realized I was being way too aggressive with my ROP casts and not delaying them to stack with AP. Confirmation of what the logs were showing us. Hopefully this detailed table/analysis helps others who are looking for a bit more than the standard write-ups of “Burn/Conserve”. I won’t claim it’s 100% accurate to the second, but if you watch the video, you should be able to follow along with this table and see what is happening and where the KEY DELAY POINTS are in the rotation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Hope this helps! Now...off to retrain my muscle memory and practice some patience.
-Signet
Last edited by Signet on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valamar

Re: A Journey to Improve - Analyzing your Arcane Parses

Unread postby Valamar Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks for the post. But could you re-upload the image? its all blurred and i cant read anything =/
Thudderson

Unread postby Thudderson Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 pm

This is a very good analysis and explanation. Thank you for taking the time to post this. I wonder how the rotation changes with 2pc/4pc t20. I am surprised by the frequency of barrages in the rotation.
Signet

Unread postby Signet Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks for the post. But could you re-upload the image? its all blurred and i cant read anything =/
Valamar - there's a link to the last image right above it. I was having issues with it being too big for the forums to post it, so hopefully that link works. Let me know if it does / doesn't. I'll see if I can get better resolutions uploaded for the Warcraftlogs shots as well (but in the meantime, you can head over the site and follow my instructions to see them directly).

-Signet
Valamar

Unread postby Valamar Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Valamar - there's a link to the last image right above it. I was having issues with it being too big for the forums to post it, so hopefully that link works. Let me know if it does / doesn't.
-Signet
It look blurred even on the link =/ Maybe it will looks good on google drive
Signet

Unread postby Signet Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 pm

This is a very good analysis and explanation. Thank you for taking the time to post this. I wonder how the rotation changes with 2pc/4pc t20. I am surprised by the frequency of barrages in the rotation.
Abarr is used consistently during the Conserve phases (4 AB --> Abarr...repeat). Depending on your gear/stats, you can put in a few more ABs before Abarr, but you're always going to dump your stacks to conserve.

With the 2pt20, the debate is if you should throw an Abarr in your Burn/Opener right before you POM. The thread on the 7.2.5. guide claims they changed their SIMC APL to do this and showed an ~0.7% dps increase...and this would be even better with the new Shoulders and an AoE scenarios. I personally have started working this into my rotation...and you'll see my note on where this would play into the flow in the last table.

With the 4pt20, your POM timer is obviously a bit more complex to manage. I tend to find myself popping it when it's available since there's a pretty good chance it will be up during AP/ROP...but that's actually part of what I have to work on still...getting smarter on when to hold onto stuff for maximum scaling of dmg.
Signet

Unread postby Signet Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Valamar - there's a link to the last image right above it. I was having issues with it being too big for the forums to post it, so hopefully that link works. Let me know if it does / doesn't.
-Signet
It look blurred even on the link =/ Maybe it will looks good on google drive
I dropped my table into a Google Doc, see if this link works any better?
deathbymilo

Unread postby deathbymilo Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:08 am

Do you have soul ring as well? If so, do you know much it affects smoothness of the rotation in terms of CDs lining up with where you're at within the rotation, especially during the conserve phase? Also, how much does the ring affect weights for haste? I'm guessing it diminishes haste quite a fair bit, but I don't have the ring myself so yea... lol. Any input on this would be much appreciated!
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:07 am

Does anyone know how much of a dps bonus 4pc is over 2pc 2pc with even ilvl?, I ask because I have 925 shoulders and cape and can only really replace it with mythic tier.

Also can't go 4 pc 2pc because I'm a scrub and I'm carried by kilt.
Thudderson

Unread postby Thudderson Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 am

Thank you for your reply. I suspect a large element of the frequency of abarr in the video is he is using 2x ring legendary.

With respect to your comment regarding t20 2pc, is the new apl doing 4ab moa rop abarr ap? I have always played moa rop pom ab and for fights like fallen avatar you only just have 11-12s before mechanics force you to move so to my mind the second opener is by far the best option.
tar3k

Unread postby tar3k Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Really great job mate. Thank you for this analysis.
Signet

Unread postby Signet Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:26 pm

With respect to your comment regarding t20 2pc, is the new apl doing 4ab moa rop abarr ap?
Looking at the latest nightly (7/15/17) build on Simulationcraft it does not show an updated APL with Abarr prior to POM. In the extract below, I've highlighted the flow of the 'standard' opener. It's setup to only Abarr if you have the shoulders on and have more than one target. If you read Dikembe's 7.2.5 guide thread, there are a few posts on this topic, which indicate that throwing in an Abarr prior to your PoM was > 0.7% increase (I have not tested this yet).

actions.burn+=/start_burn_phase,if=!burn_phase
actions.burn+=/stop_burn_phase,if=prev_gcd.1.evocation&cooldown.evocation.charges=0&burn_phase_duration>0
actions.burn+=/nether_tempest,if=refreshable|!ticking
actions.burn+=/mark_of_aluneth
actions.burn+=/mirror_image
actions.burn+=/rune_of_power,if=mana.pct>30|(buff.arcane_power.up|cooldown.arcane_power.up)
actions.burn+=/arcane_power
actions.burn+=/blood_fury
actions.burn+=/berserking
actions.burn+=/arcane_torrent
actions.burn+=/potion,if=buff.arcane_power.up&(buff.berserking.up|buff.blood_fury.up|!(race.troll|race.orc))
actions.burn+=/use_items,if=buff.arcane_power.up|target.time_to_die<cooldown.arcane_power.remains
actions.burn+=/presence_of_mind,if=((mana.pct>30|buff.arcane_power.up)&set_bonus.tier20_2pc)|buff.rune_of_power.remains<=buff.presence_of_mind.max_stack*action.arcane_blast.execute_time|buff.arcane_power.remains<=buff.presence_of_mind.max_stack*action.arcane_blast.execute_time
actions.burn+=/arcane_orb
actions.burn+=/arcane_barrage,if=active_enemies>1&equipped.mantle_of_the_first_kirin_tor&buff.arcane_charge.stack=buff.arcane_charge.max_stack
actions.burn+=/arcane_missiles,if=variable.arcane_missiles_procs=buff.arcane_missiles.max_stack&active_enemies<3
actions.burn+=/arcane_blast,if=buff.presence_of_mind.up
actions.burn+=/supernova
actions.burn+=/arcane_explosion,if=active_enemies>1
actions.burn+=/arcane_missiles,if=variable.arcane_missiles_procs
actions.burn+=/arcane_blast
I have always played moa rop pom ab and for fights like fallen avatar you only just have 11-12s before mechanics force you to move so to my mind the second opener is by far the best option.
Couple of thoughts here. First, I assume you're building up to a 4 stack prior to this opener? You want to enter your burn phase with a 4 stack and also get your Erosions going on the target. Second, with the 2pt20, your POM will give you an instant 4 stack, so the idea is that you BUILD to your 4 stack (as always), start your BURN with standard sequence: MOA, ROP, AP --> now drop your 4 stack with an Abarr --> and get 4 stack right back with your POM, then move into your standard AB/AM spam during a burn. It's basically a free Abarr at the front of your burn. Again, I haven't tested this thoroughly, and I'm sure there are others way more qualified to discuss this topic than me :D .
Signet

Unread postby Signet Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:04 pm

*Edit: does anyone know how the practice target in the mage hall reacts in logs when it is out of health? After continuing to dig into my video, I'm wondering if since the target was near to 0 health, the logs were not picking up any of my damage and that could explain my issue here?.

So, I've been practicing my rotation with the delays that I was missing previously. However, based on my parse against the practice dummy, I'm still missing something, as my 2nd and 3rd burn phases still are nowhere near my opening burn phase. I captured logs and a video of this practice, so hoping some of the better parsers out there can give me any tips/pointers?
  • *I captured 3 burn phases total (flask, pot, but no defiled rune)
    *I did not use drums for a 2nd timewarp phase. I expect this would greatly increase one of my Burn phases (believe #3), but somethign still seems very off when compared to other's logs.
    *I need to work on my TSM timing stilll
    *My 2nd & 3rd Burn phases are still way below my opening Burn
My log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/T7 ... e&source=1

My video:

My Problem: 2nd and 3rd Burn phases are nowhere near my opening Burn phase still...or something is wrong with my logging??:
Thudderson

Unread postby Thudderson Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:32 am

In response to questions about my opener;

I precast MoA then go straight into burn (i have t20 2pc). I can't see how 4 AB's prior to this to get one free abarr is possibly worth it but I will try it in a raid situation and compare. On fallen avatar this still seems like a very poor tactic given the tight windows within which one can benefit from RoP. Much like yourself I am not particularly adept with the spec and am very far from perfect, and I haven't actually done the math just gyt instinct.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:09 am

Can't you just press invisibility and stand in the green swirls on fallen avatar at the start?, not even sure how much they do actually.
Valamar

Unread postby Valamar Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:30 am

I dropped my table into a Google Doc, see if this link works any better?
Thanks a lot. Now i can see it ^^
Thudderson

Unread postby Thudderson Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:29 am

Can't you just press invisibility and stand in the green swirls on fallen avatar at the start?, not even sure how much they do actually.
On nm yes. On hc this will oneshot you.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 am

Erm I'm pretty sure it doesn't come close to 1 shoting you on heroic, it takes about 60% looking at this log, if you half that because on invis it'll do around 30%, and 3 ticks of 30 will not kill you.
Naustis

Unread postby Naustis Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Nice topic :)

When you analize logs it is good to also check the casts + timeline. This way you can see how people time and sync their cds.
Erm I'm pretty sure it doesn't come close to 1 shoting you on heroic, it takes about 60% looking at this log, if you half that because on invis it'll do around 30%, and 3 ticks of 30 will not kill you.
Do not soak them :d you may survive it but remember that u put additional pressure on your healers. That is not recommended.
Signet

Unread postby Signet Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Nice topic :)

When you analize logs it is good to also check the casts + timeline. This way you can see how people time and sync their cds.
Glad you like it :D , and good point about casts + timeline views in the logs. Do you have any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong in my rotation during the 2nd/3rd burn phases (video posted a few comments up)? I'm wondering if it's the practice dummy running out of health, or something fundamentally flawed in what I'm doing. Appreciate any pointers!

Return to “Arcane”