Low Parsing Antorus - Arcane Mage

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Calypssai

Low Parsing Antorus - Arcane Mage

Unread postby Calypssai Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Character Name: Calypssai
Spec: Arcane
Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... /calypssai
Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... metric=dps

First of all, I appreciate the hours of work that goes into making this site. This community rocks! I am looking for some heavy criticism on my logs. More specifically Varimathras (being a Patchwerk type fight). In comparing my logs to one of the top Arcane Mage parsers (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/g7 ... &source=18), I found that I was doing my cooldowns & rotation almost identically to theirs. He had less arcane barrages and more missiles, and everything hit slightly harder. I have reviewed and studied the fights on Wowhead and the Arcane Guides on this site.

My most recent sim is 1.4M, and I just replaced two relics and it brought me up to 1.5M, but my parses all fall in the green and grey category, with one blue on Worldbreaker. So in theory, I should be higher. I had the same issues in previous raid content.

A couple things I noticed:
-I noticed was a huge spike in damage, then a sharp fall when analyzing the timelines. Not sure what's that is about.
-I noticed my arcane missiles are "shorter." Could I be clipping them?
-Perhaps I should have equipped my Time Warp ring instead like I did last week, but that doesn't explain the low parses in the other parts of the raid.

Another possible reason:
-My keyboard and mouse are really old. I got them like 7 or 8 years ago, maybe older. My keyboard is a Logitech G13. Could this possibly impair my dps at all? (I just want to rule that out).
-I have most everything keybound, but I sometimes click (trying to get over that nasty habit).

Is this a gear issue, or am I just playing incorrectly? Thank you!
Roku

Re: Low Parsing Antorus - Arcane Mage

Unread postby Roku Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 am

Well I'm not very good but I noticed a few things, for starters your gear/gems is weird, did sims tell you that haste should be gemmed/enchanted? Because I'm pretty sure at that haste level vers is your most desired stat, you have way too much mastery as well because mastery atm is garbage, also your miniburns are pretty weak, with kilt you can afford to waste mana for AM procs and there's no harm in holding them for a while until your next burn/miniburn as long as you don't destroy your mana or munch procs.
Also don't expect reliable info from icy veins, I doubt anyones cares to update a guide for a meme spec in time.
Abscond

Unread postby Abscond Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Mastery is not garbage for double ring. However you aren't using it and with the pants it's actually just a useless stat.
First thing is we don't use prolonged we use deadly grace. We don't use haste either, regem/enchant for vers.
Gear wise your t19 2p is extremely low ilvl and I doubt it out performs 945s with decent stats but if it's preference more power too you.
On your opener you want to try to hold them until 3 or if you aren't getting procs 2 for the highest chance of getting rohnins to abuse rule of 3s for 3 missles.
You use your second pot with only arcane power and rune instead of holding it for your next real burst with medallion.
After dropping t20 4p you should only use pom with power/rune not with the mini burn with mark/rune unless the boss is going to die.

Just looking at your garothi you can easily pick up quite a bit of damage by learning how to use the rule of threes and swapping your potions. If you misuse any of your cds you will certainly see a drastic damage loss.
Calypssai

Unread postby Calypssai Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 am

Some clarification:
1) I put T19 on for giggles last night & logged out with it on. So disregard that.
2) I regemmed & re-enchanted for Vers.
3) I was lazy for about 6 months prior, and I didn't do much of ToS so my gear options were limited.

Some questions:
1) Can you clarify how to take advantage of Rule of Three's?
2) Am I always letting my AM procs stack to 3, then only using 1 stack, then letting it get back to max stacks again? What about during the conserve phase?
3) I only have T20 2 pc, and the guide says only to use mini burns with T20 4pc, so I am unsure which is correct.
4) Do I ever cast PoM during conserve? (Remember, I only have 2pc T20.)

Edit: I only ask about the AM stacks to 3 because in this video of Cashmerekat, they seem to be dumping AM right away and letting evoke get the last tick in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4InroZTnZuE
imke

Unread postby imke Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:26 am

Few things I noticed from person's log you linked above.
1, RNG GOD, Showing by his armory he is at 47% crit chance but by his log his 2 main abilities, AB was criting at 66.78% and AM was at 72.3%, RNG is RNG.

2, Compared his log with my own. His guild Lusted straight off the bat where my current guild lusted on last phase, which makes the lust ring not an option resulting a 200k dps difference with and without in a short fight like this one.

3. Raid strength is the key to kill time it will result in higher dps for arcane. Sim is only a guide line but good player will consider their raid strength, length of the fight in accordance to adjust gear, stats/CD usage accordingly, constantly adapting and evolving each week there always room for improvement, that is the beauty of the spec, it feels always alive and rewarding. My guild currently doing heroic splits and its impossible to have a good log due to higher number of alts compare to main.

Overall, practice will make perfect and discard the top 1% logs, top 1% logs usually are padders or sometimes having GOD RNG, try look at someone around 75%-90% this will a better indication of the spec and the encounter, once you have achieved 90% until then you can study higher logs and make comparison.

There is few small tips and tricks might help you with advanced game-play to increase your damage, I can share with you once you are mastered your mana management.

Thank you
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm

You didn't get your 2nd lust with your cooldowns.

go magi/kilt, you'll do more damage and have way more flexibility.
Abscond

Unread postby Abscond Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 pm

?? The only reason he's going to do more damage is because nobody taught him to use CDs properly. Pants certainly is a damage loss single target.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:34 am

Not true, the sims are wrong (as they always are).
3 things you can do with kilt that you can't with double ring.

1. Track Touch of the magi and when it procs spam AB in to it as hard as you can.
2. MoA and ROP then spam until it runs out.
3. If you have 1 stack of missiles at 4AC you can hold on to it and fish for a second to get rule of 3's twice in a row and not fuck your rotation up because you went oom.

Those are more damage than a second lust (which you might not even get because the lust is at the end/doesn't line up with your CDs).
Attachments
dps.jpg
Calypssai

Unread postby Calypssai Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 am

Not true, the sims are wrong (as they always are).
3 things you can do with kilt that you can't with double ring.

1. Track Touch of the magi and when it procs spam AB in to it as hard as you can.
2. MoA and ROP then spam until it runs out.
3. If you have 1 stack of missiles at 4AC you can hold on to it and fish for a second to get rule of 3's twice in a row and not fuck your rotation up because you went oom.

Those are more damage than a second lust (which you might not even get because the lust is at the end/doesn't line up with your CDs).
Thank you! THANK YOU! for these tips. A+ rated comment. I'm going to study your rotation and practice these tips. I have a WA for Touch of the Magi so that'll be easy.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 am

You wont be able to see my rotation as my logs are private ( stops people padding because you'll never go on the score board T.T ).
Abscond

Unread postby Abscond Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 pm

I mean you're still wrong. Using pants over double ring on st is a damage loss. Just because you accidentally get a rank 7 on a heroic boss doesn't by any means prove you're correct.
Yes playing with pants is very forgiving
Yes playing with double ring is quite hard
Will pants seem like a better option for people who don't know what they are doing, yes.
But double ring is still a damage gain if you can get both lusts with cds up.
JordanBrann

Unread postby JordanBrann Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:23 pm

The issue with the double rings is the same as using RoP. If not utilized correctly it can result in a huge dps loss. As mentioned above playing with double rings is very challenging, so you might have to look at what you want to accomplish. But, using kilt isn’t as big of a dps loss and some people think. I use kilt/shard and my dps is quite nice in my opinion. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... metric=dps

Here are my logs if you want to see how I play arcane.
Dontblink

Unread postby Dontblink Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:39 pm

So I'm looking at your logs and it's odd that you aren't casting an aluneth into your burn phases and you're waiting significantly afterwards to toss out mark of aluneth. I was under the impression that you are supposed to save the burn to get aluneth and sentinel medallion in it each time to get the most DPS possible. Am I mistaken here?
Calypssai

Unread postby Calypssai Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 am

The issue with the double rings is the same as using RoP. If not utilized correctly it can result in a huge dps loss. As mentioned above playing with double rings is very challenging, so you might have to look at what you want to accomplish. But, using kilt isn’t as big of a dps loss and some people think. I use kilt/shard and my dps is quite nice in my opinion. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... metric=dps

Here are my logs if you want to see how I play arcane.
What is your current tier set up for ST bosses?
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 am

So I'm looking at your logs and it's odd that you aren't casting an aluneth into your burn phases and you're waiting significantly afterwards to toss out mark of aluneth. I was under the impression that you are supposed to save the burn to get aluneth and sentinel medallion in it each time to get the most DPS possible. Am I mistaken here?
mythic garothi is funny because MoA comes up right as you are dpsing the cannons and you can't risk puttong MoA on them and having them die early.
JordanBrann

Unread postby JordanBrann Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:39 am

My thing garothi is a strange fight for cool downs. Which is why I don’t use RoP on it. There’s too much back and forth movement. I use MOA during my conserve phase not my burn. I use my PoM and mark to help maximize my dps during the conserve, since that’s the weakest part of arcane. With the new 2 piece and saving MOA and RoP for conserve, I can maintain my dps a lot better than with nothing.
JordanBrann

Unread postby JordanBrann Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:41 am

As far as single target, my trinkets vary depending on what my gear is. Talents are pretty static except for resonance/charged up and incanters flow/rune of power.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:43 pm

I mean you're still wrong. Using pants over double ring on st is a damage loss. Just because you accidentally get a rank 7 on a heroic boss doesn't by any means prove you're correct.
Yes playing with pants is very forgiving
Yes playing with double ring is quite hard
Will pants seem like a better option for people who don't know what they are doing, yes.
But double ring is still a damage gain if you can get both lusts with cds up.
Accidentally?

nobody gets in to the top 10 on any boss on any difficulty unless you you have a pretty good idea of what does the most damage, yes luck plays a part in it but it's not the be all and end all.

And actually no, double ring will only be better when you get good procs that line up during your lust (both runes/ToTM/trinkets/Concordance ect)
Kilt allows you to react to every proc as it comes and make the most of it no matter what your mana level is.

Double ring is not hard, you just can't do anything outside of a very static rotation or else you will go oom.
Abscond

Unread postby Abscond Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:17 pm

You can clearly get top 10 on a heroic boss accidentally. Or just doing heroic at a quick pace it's not hard to get top 10 especially as arcane.

Don't think you're somehow being rewarded for being a good player. Generally top 25 know what they are doing and any higher than that it's who got the most missle procs.
But you are saying double ring isn't a damage increase when most of the people on HEROIC garothi are using double ring.
Every single target boss on mythic you use double ring. Are you trying to say all of those people plus the computer program that does your rotation for you in a "raid environment" that its wrong and that pants are still a damage increase?
You are wrong my friend, pants are a damage loss and just because you suck at using double ring doesn't mean it's bad, it's you.

ST Target trinkets
Owl/Prototype
Owl/norgannons
945 owl sims 3-4K~ than my 960 with socket terminus so I'll probably switch them out relatively soon to weed out the clunky owl wait time.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:34 pm

I also get 99's on mythic bosses using kilt/archmage.

under perfect conditions double ring probably is more damage, but how often do you get perfect conditions? , you will get more damage overall, and have higher consistency, and still be able to get very high number using kilt/archmage so why bother with the aggro of double ring?. like i said, it's not hard to play, you just have no freedom to do anything other than a very static rotation.
Attachments
dpsmyth.png

Return to “Arcane”