Struggling with stat priority

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Whiplash

Struggling with stat priority

Unread postby Whiplash Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 am

I have been trying to hang on to arcane mage now since Tos came out. I have been trying to simcraft and use every means possible to findout what gear in my bags will yield the best damage. Yet when i run entirely off of what simcraft says; i do worse and feel it isnt accurate for arcane due to the dynamic rotation. Everytime i switch a piece of gear and sim for stats. they change drastically. I am trying to run double ring. Ill burn phase > evocate > ABx4> dump missiles accordingly>Arcane barrage over and over until i get my cds up again. burn through them hard. ill mini burn when i get my MOA up until the rop goes away then back to conserve until AP is up then burn to nothing; evocate rinse and repeat. Can anyone help me figure out my best stats? at what point do secondary stats stop being more important than int ? It seems as though i can hover around 25-30% mastery and work this out. or should i try to get more mastery and work in more arcane blasts before i dump charges in my conserve phase?
Lethaniel

Re: Struggling with stat priority

Unread postby Lethaniel Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 pm

i know this might sound generic but for a spec that 1. has such stat priority so all over the place 2. different viable playstyles it's important to find what suits you best. if you feel like you don t make such a good use of AP, invest in haste (especially if you have a few extra points in Aegwin's Imperative), if your burst is good but overall don't feel like you hit that much, get more crit, versatility is good to keep over 10% or even more if you're doing progression or M+ and survivability is an issue. you might also consider IF if you think you can keep an eye on flow stacks. Also, do you use 4t 21 and 2t 20? or why are you going double ring?
Corpze

Unread postby Corpze Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 pm

If you're running ST double ring you basically need to minimize your mastery and haste as much as possible and stack nearly all crit/vers. Youre looking to get 40% crit and 15%+ vers. If you do that, your burst windows will be insane and you can easily open for 6M+ without much difficulty. Overall you can hit 1.6M+ if you do the rotation perfectly.
Whiplash

Unread postby Whiplash Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 am

hm.. so stack Crit vers as much as possible then. At what point does higher ilvl and more int outweigh bad stats? Also i run ring because i cannot seem to find my kilt anywhere in all of wow. and i like maximum dps chances.
Enimonemo

Unread postby Enimonemo Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:58 am

The DPS gain is so tiny from using double ring over kilt+ring that it’s not really worth using it , as using double ring is very punishing (no mana regain). Also, if there is another mage in the raid group, I often find that our CDs wont sync up and the second TW will just be a big waste for at least one of us.
Raidbots has a feature to determine your best gear. Just use the top gear section, copy paste your simc data and then choose the items you want sim.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:28 am

The DPS gain is so tiny from using double ring over kilt+ring that it’s not really worth using it , as using double ring is very punishing (no mana regain). Also, if there is another mage in the raid group, I often find that our CDs wont sync up and the second TW will just be a big waste for at least one of us.
Raidbots has a feature to determine your best gear. Just use the top gear section, copy paste your simc data and then choose the items you want sim.

Doesn't look that tiny to me.
Enimonemo

Unread postby Enimonemo Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 am

Every person’s sim will look different. Linking someone else’s sim on a patchwerk style fight doesn’t mean much. Especially if said person can pull 2M+ dps, so they are probably extremely well geared and have highly optimized gear, unlike OP, in which case I would advise against using double ring. On a side note, the linked sim shows that using mantle+shard is a dps gain over archmage+kilt which I heavily doubt is true, unless again, the person opts in for double ring and has enough mastery to make kilt worse than mantle.
Abscond

Unread postby Abscond Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Every person’s sim will look different. Linking someone else’s sim on a patchwerk style fight doesn’t mean much. Especially if said person can pull 2M+ dps, so they are probably extremely well geared and have highly optimized gear, unlike OP, in which case I would advise against using double ring. On a side note, the linked sim shows that using mantle+shard is a dps gain over archmage+kilt which I heavily doubt is true, unless again, the person opts in for double ring and has enough mastery to make kilt worse than mantle.
I mean you've been wrong the entire thread. Double ring is a substantial damage gain if played correctly. What does having multiple mages in your group mean?? You aren't going to get 3 good lusts on any boss this tier so if you're lusting first you're an idiot. CDs not lining up?? If you can't manage CDs you should probably stop playing arcane.
Mastery is a perfectly fine stat with double ring, the only time mastery is useless is if you have mana legendaries like hat or pants.
Hitting 2m on patchwerk in simcraft isn't very high.
Enimonemo

Unread postby Enimonemo Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:59 pm

I mean you've been wrong the entire thread. Double ring is a substantial damage gain if played correctly. What does having multiple mages in your group mean?? You aren't going to get 3 good lusts on any boss this tier so if you're lusting first you're an idiot. CDs not lining up?? If you can't manage CDs you should probably stop playing arcane.
Mastery is a perfectly fine stat with double ring, the only time mastery is useless is if you have mana legendaries like hat or pants.
Hitting 2m on patchwerk in simcraft isn't very high.
Here are my sims for double ring and 2P-T20 + 4P-T21 vs Kilt+Ring+4P-T21. There is a 1% DPS gain with the double ring set-up. I consider that non-substantial.
https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/ ... UMJ9u7DRiK

Also, here are some logs for Garothi about legendary usage and DPS:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics ... egendaries
The DPS difference is 4%, a bit over 60k.

Having multiple mages in a group and syncing CDs is not about syncing my own CDs obviously, it's about syncing my CDs with theirs, notably Icy Veins. The CD difference is quite big between AP and IV. That's why I said it doesn't work out too well for at least one of the mages. We are both using the same TWs after all.

About Mastery, I said in my previous post as well, it's a bad stat, unless someone goes for Double Rings and doesn't use mana regen legos.

Logs for Varimathras HC fight which gets as patchwerk as it gets, ppl average 1.7M. Apparently getting 2M dps is not that simple.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics ... fficulty=4

Not sure why I deserve such negative reply when all I'm trying to do is give good advice, and based off of my numbers my assumption is correct. Simc/Raidbots could be wrong and I might have used something in a wrong way, in which case I stand corrected, but as far as I can tell, they are good.
Abscond

Unread postby Abscond Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:05 am

First off the lust ring was fixed after nighthold to have a second lust not affect you if you have the lust debuff.
Tldr a shaman/hunter/Mage not using ring/ drums lusts so every Mage gets sated.
Now that you are sated you can't benefit from anyone else's lust or timewarp but the one you cast.

Bringing up gorothi? You don't use double ring on warbreaker because you lust after first destructer and the fact that you're moving 60% of the fight if you're doing mechanics.

You're gaining 3-4 ilvls of well stated gear with pants. Yet ring is still higher. Never sim patchwerk because it doesn't exist always sim light movement. Pants will probably pull ahead.

He said 2m on simcraft patchwerk not on execution. I can even do it with the pants on.
https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/ ... o9JAebQWLb

It was negative because it's annoying how quite a few of you hype up kilt like its so much better. If played correctly it isn't. Saying the damage increase from double ring to pants is negligible. To you it may be because you don't play correctly or aren't properly statted.
If it's your preference to use kilt as a qol more power to you but don't imply it's better.

The damage gap between a good player and an average player with arcane is quite high so finding a median it's going to be relatively difficult.
wannalink

Unread postby wannalink Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:37 pm

It was negative because it's annoying how quite a few of you hype up kilt like its so much better. If played correctly it isn't. Saying the damage increase from double ring to pants is negligible. To you it may be because you don't play correctly or aren't properly statted.
If it's your preference to use kilt as a qol more power to you but don't imply it's better.
By that logic, top parses should be dominated by double ring, since these are the top players who "play correctly", but in reality, kilt numbers are on par with rings and sometimes even higher. That said, i'm talking about these builds in terms of progression raiding, and not cheesing logs on trivialized encounters.

Return to “Arcane”