BfA Arcane write-up

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

BfA Arcane write-up

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Tue May 29, 2018 6:30 pm

I wrote a BfA pre-patch guide which contains a full rotation / talent comparisons etc. It is more complete than this thread. Read here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6916

Hi guys,

I recently wrote an introduction to arcane for BfA over on Icy Veins. It goes over the changes to arcane compared to Legion, and also gives some pointers for optimal talent builds and playstyle for the beta.

For visibility I am cross-posting it here. Check it out

If you have any suggestions or disagreements, please let me know!
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
magictricks

Re: BfA Arcane write-up

Unread postby magictricks Wed May 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Can you explain this BIS list to me please, in as few words as possible.

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/arcane-ma ... st-in-slot
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 am

I'm afraid I didn't write the BiS list, buit I think the description above it is pretty clear:

"With the existence of Titanforged and Mythic+ dungeons, there is no such thing as a hard Best in Slot anymore. This is more of a guideline for the best pieces to keep an eye out for in your raid or dungeon (if applicable). Be smart, and if you find higher item level pieces with valuable stat combinations do not hesitate to upgrade to them."

Basically, sim "top gear" on raidbots.com
Owner of Altered Time.

Byron_Yates

Unread postby Byron_Yates Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Since clearcasting doesn't stack how do you make sure that you're not eating charges?
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Since clearcasting doesn't stack how do you make sure that you're not eating charges?
You press AM the instant you get it.

Treat it the same as a BF proc now.
Ubberleet

Unread postby Ubberleet Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:30 am

Using Clearcasting-AM is a DPS loss when you have evo up. There's next to no point using it when you're still technically "burning" which lasts longer now. It's fine to use when conserving mana - so it feels quite weird.

I've had success using Amplification, Unstable Magic, Overpowered. Arcane blasts hits so insanely hard so it benefits a lot from UM and gives us some potent (yet RNG) AoE.

If this goes the way it's currently going, we're going to be absolute monsters in raid gear. Unless frost stays as it is and GS hits as hard as it currently does.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Wait so arcane is a 1 button spec?.
Ubberleet

Unread postby Ubberleet Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Wait so arcane is a 1 button spec?.
At the moment, yes.

Charged Up -> Rune of Power -> Arcane Power -> Spam AB -> Refresh Rune -> Spam AB until 0 mana.

Evo -> AB until 70 -> (Use Clearcasting procs here) Conserve until CD's are back up.

That's the whole spec on beta.

When running UM, our best AoE is also AB since it does more damage when it procs than AE - and it allows us to get CC procs to use a free AE on mass AoE.

For Erosion vs UM, they both give ~8% damage increases - however it takes a long time to ramp up to 8% on a boss in the current spec as you spam AB into the boss/adds. UM pulls ahead because of the AoE proc too.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Using Clearcasting-AM is a DPS loss when you have evo up. There's next to no point using it when you're still technically "burning" which lasts longer now. It's fine to use when conserving mana - so it feels quite weird.

I've had success using Amplification, Unstable Magic, Overpowered. Arcane blasts hits so insanely hard so it benefits a lot from UM and gives us some potent (yet RNG) AoE.

If this goes the way it's currently going, we're going to be absolute monsters in raid gear. Unless frost stays as it is and GS hits as hard as it currently does.
My sims do not show ignoring AM as a DPS increase. Do you have any sims to back up not using AM at all while evo is up?
Owner of Altered Time.

Cobalt314

Unread postby Cobalt314 Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:44 am

With the most recent changes to Arcane, it seemed like if we were unsure whether AM would be a dps loss or not before, they certainly look promising now.

That being said, would it be better to take clearcasting-centric talents for ST builds? We will almost certainly take TotM for ST and Reverberate for AoE, but as Rule of Threes is only a mana conservation talent, it seems like Amplification would be the better ST talent. And building off of clearcasting, we could take slipstream again to combat movement mechanics.

It (RoT vs Amp) could be like the case with Kilt vs no Kilt, where Kilt would give safer mana conservation while no Kilt would give higher dps sims. Your guys' thoughts?

Return to “Arcane”