Arcane mage on fetid

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Xeneph

Arcane mage on fetid

Unread postby Xeneph Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:25 am

Hi
I'm fairly new to mage having only rerolled to it this expansion, I've largely been playing frost so far but my guild have now killed Vectis and are starting on Fetid devourer, we had our first night on him last night and I was trying out arcane.

My damage was absolutely atrocious, and I know a lot of what I'm doing wrong is around CD usage. We have 4 arcane mages of which 2 are using their CD's on pull and on 2nd adds. and myself and 1 other are saving ours for 1st adds and 3rd adds (3rd adds are also when we hero)

I'm wondering if any arcane mages out there who have done or are on fetid would have some tips on when to use CDs?

Do you stick to the burst/conserve phases of AP and trinkets (i.e. only bursting every 1.5mins), or do you just treat every add as a burst phase, and every time an add is not up as conserve?

Here is a link to our logs - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hvfJFQ4qyPTRwrWZ/ (I'm Winterfall)

Would really appreciate any tips on how to maximise my damage - either within the scope of me holding CD's for first adds, or if you think it is better to blow everything at the start and then try to burst again with arcane blast at least on first add?
Stinky_Pete

Re: Arcane mage on fetid

Unread postby Stinky_Pete Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:14 pm

I think you will automatically have lower overall DPS if you are strategically holding CDs for 1st adds. If this is your groups strategy, it may be worth continuing to hold CDs for the adds, as you are filling a specific role that arcane mages are well suited for (nuking down high priority adds quickly), but again this will cause you to lose overall damage for the whole fight. If it is your team's strategy, getting the adds down ASAP is more important than boss damage. Also Fetid takes more damage when he's below half, so having CDs available during that phase will cause a big boost in your damage. But overall the thing that will typically result in lower damage if you are saving CDs for first add is that you may only get to use arcane power twice in the fight, while the other mages that use it right away will get to use it 3 times, the last being when the boss is under half health, which would result in a hugh DPS boost
Corpze

Unread postby Corpze Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:22 am

Looking at your best pull on fetid, it seems that you're missing an entire arcane power window inbetween your first and your second there is a space of about 3 total minutes where you didnt burst. What I would consider doing on this fight (were also progging on it right now) is to burst hard right away and get everything on CD. Then after that whenever there is an add to DPS throw up a ROP and use a second on-use trinket to fit into that window as your DPS will be more than enough to destroy the add.
Xeneph

Unread postby Xeneph Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks guys - think we will go with Corpze's suggestion as on our best pull we were also lacking some boss dps so more of an increase to overall dmg can't hurt.
Selfine

Unread postby Selfine Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 am

First of all your damge is low because you have to hold your Arcane Power.
So your Raidlead can't expect much till 50% start.

You misstimed your arcane power on your best pull for the third adds. Just use it when bl gets popped. So pre charge up stay on mana as soon as 2 sec bevor the adds spawn cast a rune of power then arcane power and spam arcane blast till rune has 3 sec left. then you cast pressence of mind use 2 mb and you should be okay.

Then rune again and smash those mutaded mass till you are oom. eveocate and then miniburst on fetid that'S all you can do rest of the team has to carry the missing dmg then.

on pull don't cast rop before you used charged up (massive dmg loss).

so you should pull like 2sec left on piull timer cast arcane blast, as sonn as you hit infight cast charged up then rop then AB and on proc arcane missel, when rune hast 3 seconds left pressence of mind then after 2x ab beginn conserve phase till add 1 spawn.

this fight is no boss fight at all. it's only fight the adds so theys don't heal then hit the boss. Boss should be called Mutaed Mass not fetid devourer^^.

so your choices are. convince the raidlead you can pop your cds on pull or play fire but fire has it's downsides to.

Fight isn that hard but it took my guild 60 trys to beat it because our add dmg suckt and our disc was no help at all on eggs^^
ogbloodghast

Unread postby ogbloodghast Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 pm

I do this exact job for my guild. We lust on phase 2 and use 2min CD's on add sets 1 and 3.
We had some serious issues re-clearing without vantus so I've got about 100 pulls on it and I main Arcane.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QM ... iew=events

This has been the rotation I used on our kill. I highly recommend lusting on 2nd phase if you guys are short on DPS. It lets you have 2 minute CD's up for the 3rd add set. Killing the boss before enrage isn't too hard if everyone is alive.

One major tip about this fight. Don't be super worried about Evocation efficiency. It's way more important to use it before the stomp timings than it is to get that extra cast or 2. (getting stomped out of evo can easily make you miss an add)
The other is that chrono shift is really good. try and use your charged up's to move around faster. Presence of mind is for moving around not for extra DPS during burst phase***

Basically you start the fight with rune of power into another rune of power. Burn all your mana quickly. Ideally when the first stomp comes you're oom, or very close. You want to blink cancel the stomp then immediately then evocate as soon as you can. It's really important to fit this evocate in before adds. You want it on CD as soon as you can. Then blow your Arcane Power and trinket/cd's on the first add. After the first add set is dead you want to keep your mana as low as possible on while DPS'ing fetid. This is because you need to cast evocate as soon as it's off CD otherwise you have no damage for the 2nd add set. You get ~12 seconds on the 2nd add before stomp comes. Ideally you kill it in this time frame. (this is the lust add) Ideally you should have at least 20% mana after it's dead. For the second big add your arcane power is going to be off CD. I pop it now to destroy the 2nd add before it starts healing. At this point you're gonna be doing bad boss damage for a while. That's ok. Keep your mana low so when evo comes up you can pop it. You want to go into the 3rd add with a lot of mana. (somewhere in the 70-80% range) Unfortunately for the 3rd add the stomp hits pretty much exactly when the add spawns so you can't really get there early. You can sneak in a presence of mind arcane blasts on the add if you're quick though. You should be using your 2nd pot for the 3rd add. Same thing, rune of power etc. If you have a 2 minute racial/trinket it's good to use it here as well. This add will be the closest add. It's gonna be tight for you.
The major benefit to this setup is that Arcane Power will come up again during the burn phase of the boss after all the adds are dead.

Alternatively if your raid is struggling on the 3rd add you can save Arcane Power for the 3rd add. This will significantly reduce your damage on the boss however as Arcane Power will not be up for the burn phase. If you do this save your racial/trinket/2nd pot for post evocate in the burn phase. You shouldn't need them to kill the 3rd add and they will help a ton in the burn phase against the boss.
ogbloodghast

Unread postby ogbloodghast Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:27 pm

Same opening plan, burn mana until evocation after first stomp, use arcane power/trinket on the first add. Same plan in the intermission. On the 2nd small adds set you will be using your 2nd pot and any racials/trinkets you have up. (it might actually pay to have 2 activatable trinkets for this). Then your Arcane Power will come up for the 2nd big add. You guys will need this 100%. The 2nd big add is gonna be hard to kill. You again suck on the 3rd add phase, but your arcane power should be up for to truck the boss when you are done adds.

If you guys can't kill the 2nd adds then try having all your mages save their trinkets/racials for them. I know it feels natural to trinket when you use arcane power, but your DPS isn't why you're coming to the fight, it's that you destroy adds.
The other thing is it's okay to ice block breath if it helps you DPS. Especially on the 2nd add set.
Corpze

Unread postby Corpze Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 am

So I gave you some information before but we pulled the boss quite a few more times and nailed our first kill and I'll share what worked best for our team. What we did was split our arcane mages (3) & fire mage (1) into two small add groups (along with 3 other lower add priority dps). Our DPS setup looked like this:

First add Group A: Corpze = AP+trinket+ROP+POM
First add Group B: Aamodon = AP+Trinket+ROP+POM

Second add Group A: Alyiel = LUST+AP+Trinket+ROP+POM
Second add Group B: Pyromaniac = LUST+Combustion+Trinket+ROP

Third Add Group A: Corpze = AP+Trinket+ROP+POM
Third Add Group B: Aamodon = AP+Trinket+ROP+POM

This setup allowed our group to push through the third add phase very successfully and killed the boss with quite a bit of spare time. It is definitely an ideal setup as having this many mages (esp arcane) makes the adds die so much quicker (You can check add dmg for small adds and its quite obvious). Let me know if this was helpful or not.

Return to “Arcane”