Mecha-Blast Rocket on PC instead of potion

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Shadoworx

Mecha-Blast Rocket on PC instead of potion

Unread postby Shadoworx Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:32 am

A chain of thoughts has led me to propose this question: Is it beneficial to use a Mecha Blast Rocket on your Prismatic Crystal in place of a potion? This of course is not taking the place of the pre-pot.

It could be merely that I can see the increase in damage more plainly in the rocket's tooltip and maybe the potion is still the way to go; however, my mind is curious.

My line of thinking is that the rocket is affected by all kinds of damage increases. This includes versatility, multistrike, modifiers like rune of power, arcane power, and the arcane mastery (the mastery being the reason this thread is in the Arcane section, I do not feel that this can work as non-arcane). It can also crit.

Being new to suggesting ideas, I'm not familiar as to which skills are additive or multiplicative. I'm also fully aware that this may be far from viable and I've been butchering our raid attempts in the name of science. I would just like some feedback on this idea.
Rinoa
Administrator

Re: Mecha-Blast Rocket on PC instead of potion

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:57 am

Don't those things only do about 50k damage, before damage modifiers? 1000 Spellpower is extremely strong, 50k doesn't sound like enough to offset that. Would be interested in seeing how good it is though, just for curiositys sake.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:10 am

I spoke to Frost the other night, at the moment, SimC doesn't support the item so it is not possible to sim and see the difference.

The other thing that needs to be kept in mind is the buff from the potion lasts 20 seconds so will contine effect damage after the Crystal has de-spawned.
Pappus

Unread postby Pappus Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 pm

can't you just derive the pre pot value from the spell power scaling? Spellpower is 5 so 1 spellpower is 5 dps (over the course of a full fight)

1000 is 5000 dps for the time it is active (actually more since we are in burst mode) so 20 seconds * 5000 is what the rocket would have to beat, now give the rocket everything you can, let it crit etc and check the max damage out.
Castelia

Unread postby Castelia Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:00 am

I have been wondering this myself, so I thought i'd try it out based off of the numbers that Pappus gave (The rocket needs to beat 20*5000 (100k)).

At a 650 ilvl, with just a rune of power it hit for Image Just over 100k damage. Without it, it hit for Image Around 92k. Despite the tooltip saying it would hit for 85,777 fire damage. With rune of power AND PC, it hit for a (you guessed it) larger amount, Image almost 130k. And for the sake of having every possibility, PC and no rune of power comes up with Image 115k.

So, after running these simple tests I thought I was done. I thought i'd try it with a piece of my gear off (reducing my ilvl to 607) to see how much it scales with spellpower, but I was surprised when I saw even MORE damage Image come out of it. Over 140k damage.

In the end, it's really inconsistent and gimmicky. I tried it more, and I can't find any sort of average without testing it a billion times. Most of the time it's over 100k, though.
it's up to you i think both work fine and one is significantly cheaper
also arcane power probably boosts the damage of it too

But as Pappus said there are a lot of different variables taken into account in an actual encounter that I can't be easily tested without going there. So don't take my post as anything more than me being bored and shooting rockets.
Neuroburner

Unread postby Neuroburner Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:10 pm

As I know there is also DoT component http://www.wowhead.com/spell=173266&buff" target="_blank

Return to “Arcane”