Fire mage guide for 6.2 by Dutchmagoz!

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
honkeymagoo

Re: Fire mage guide for raiding by Dutchmagoz! [updated for

Unread postby honkeymagoo Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:21 pm

I noticed that the pandemic effect doesn't work on living bomb when its refresh from a bomb spread by inferno blast.

For example, If I have 5 targets with 3 seconds left on bomb and cast bomb>IB on my main target, my main targets bomb will explode but the other 4 targets will be refreshed without exploding.

You think this is intended? You can play around it now by simply holding IB for a few seconds after refreshing your bomb, but it can still get in the way of our rotation. I also see it being more annoying when I get the 2 set.
ShaObito

Unread postby ShaObito Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:46 pm

I noticed that the pandemic effect doesn't work on living bomb when its refresh from a bomb spread by inferno blast.

For example, If I have 5 targets with 3 seconds left on bomb and cast bomb>IB on my main target, my main targets bomb will explode but the other 4 targets will be refreshed without exploding.

You think this is intended? You can play around it now by simply holding IB for a few seconds after refreshing your bomb, but it can still get in the way of our rotation. I also see it being more annoying when I get the 2 set.
Is it every really going to get in the way of the rotation? Why are you using IB right after LB? You don't need to spread it immediately to every target, just before it explodes. So even assuming you have a 1s GCD that's 1s from the initial LB and ~2s from casting a fireball so there are 3s of your 3.5s of time you need to kill, assuming you drop IB right after you cast the fireball too.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Is it every really going to get in the way of the rotation? Why are you using IB right after LB? You don't need to spread it immediately to every target, just before it explodes. So even assuming you have a 1s GCD that's 1s from the initial LB and ~2s from casting a fireball so there are 3s of your 3.5s of time you need to kill, assuming you drop IB right after you cast the fireball too.
Its not going to get in the way, but its definitely important to know about. If you cast a FB, and as you finish the cast your LB dips down to 3 seconds, then you’re probably going to refresh it. As you do, your FB crits and now you are sitting with a HU proc when you come out of the GCD from the LB. If the explosions didn’t matter, then you could just hit your IB to proc HS and keep casting FB. If you know that spreading LB before the explosions will cause the other mobs not to explode, then instead of hitting IB, you cast a FB first to let your LBs explode, then hit IB before that FB lands.

On a fight with a bunch of targets, which is when LB and its explosions are so good, there can be a rather large difference in damage done between those 2 scenarios.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:00 am

The pandemic effect works - in fact, that's why it doesn't explode. The "not exploding if refreshed through spreading" part is something that has been around since beta, and I haven't heard any plans to change/fix that.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
honkeymagoo

Unread postby honkeymagoo Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:47 am

Should I be using inferno blast when I have !pyro but not heating up after using an ability that doesn't proc heating up?

For instance, lets say I cast pyro+fireball during an aoe situation and only one crits, leaving me with only !pyro. After this I refresh my flamestrike, is it okay to use inferno blast to spread what's left of my ignite and enter !pyro+heating up? Or should I just resume casting fireball and only fish for heating up with fireball when I have !pyro? Does this change between single and multi target situations where I might have a global used on rune or living bomb?
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Should I be using inferno blast when I have !pyro but not heating up after using an ability that doesn't proc heating up?

For instance, lets say I cast pyro+fireball during an aoe situation and only one crits, leaving me with only !pyro. After this I refresh my flamestrike, is it okay to use inferno blast to spread what's left of my ignite and enter !pyro+heating up? Or should I just resume casting fireball and only fish for heating up with fireball when I have !pyro? Does this change between single and multi target situations where I might have a global used on rune or living bomb?
You should do it on both single target and cleave, just make sure you don't munch!
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
yeahyeahyeahhh

Unread postby yeahyeahyeahhh Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm

You should do it on both single target and cleave, just make sure you don't munch!
How would you munch in this situation? I'm new to Fire and don't full understand it. Munching would occur if you get a cast of and land an IB at the same time? So game ignores the first Ignite, and applies the second, so the first one is just lost, and doesn't contribute to your dps at all. Just want to make sure I'm not munching :!:
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:12 pm

How would you munch in this situation? I'm new to Fire and don't full understand it. Munching would occur if you get a cast of and land an IB at the same time? So game ignores the first Ignite, and applies the second, so the first one is just lost, and doesn't contribute to your dps at all. Just want to make sure I'm not munching :!:
Ignite munching has been (mostly) removed from the game, I'm referring to pyroblast munching, which happens if you got pyroblast!+heating up and then crit again without using the pyro. Which can happen if you use inferno blast when you got pyro!+fireball in the air. So you should only do what was described in the quoted post when there's no spell in the air. (Like after blast wave)
Owner of Altered Time.

yeahyeahyeahhh

Unread postby yeahyeahyeahhh Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification!
Seatoo

Unread postby Seatoo Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:40 pm

Did someone say earlier we only need around 30% crit, or am I going crazy, I would've thought 35 at a minimum
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Did someone say earlier we only need around 30% crit, or am I going crazy, I would've thought 35 at a minimum
There's no minimum crit to play fire, but the more crit you have the smoother the spec plays. No matter the amount of crit you have, it won't beat arcane on pure single target. (in t17 at least, maybe in future patches it will) The strength of fire comes from gaining a lot of single target DPS from doing cleave damage, while doing very high cleave damage at the same time.

If you want a decent number for fire to feel "smooth" to play, I'd say like 40% crit is where you actually get a solid rotation going on single target, but there's no really no crit percentage you *need* to play fire.
Owner of Altered Time.

Faenya

Re: I suck at fire

Unread postby Faenya Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:37 am

. So I was spamming fireballs in order to land heating up procs, and a lot of the time if I didn't fireblast to get the guaranteed proc for pyroblast, the heating up proc would disappear for no good reason.
Try checking your combat logs. It's usually a good place to see any weird shenanigans.
It sounded to me like you wanted to land one proc'd pyroblast on the target, and then keep spamming fireballs until you had one pyroblast, and another heating up proc active so that you could fireblast and have a second at your disposal.
You can't have 2 stacks of pyroblast! going, only 1 pyro! and 1 hot streak.
Basically:
1. Cast Fireball until HS procs.
2. Cast Inferno Blast as soon as the next fireball is done casting.
3. You should get a pyro! proc out of this.
4. Continue casting Fireball until you get another HS proc.
5. Cast Pyro right after the next fireball is done casting.
6. Cast Meteor
7 Pray the spells in step 5 crits.
8. Continue casting however much pyro procs you get from above.
9. Combust when you have no more pyro procs.
Thank you for this breakdown. I'm about to go practice fire in a bit, and will see how it goes. In the event that you don't get a crit on step 5 as you hoped, what then? This was something I never liked nor fully understood about fire, because if one step in the chain fell through I always felt you had to start from scratch in order to try and generate another optimal scenario for combustion which probably in reality tanked my dps. I guess what it comes down to is when potted, in bloodlust, and with cooldowns popped, if you set up for a very early combustion should you go ahead and combust even if you don't get a crit on the pyro (step 5 from your above breakdown)

Also, how exactly does combustion work? I understand that you explained about when to do it, but I dont really understand why, because I dont fully understand combustion/ignite.

Thanks for any help
TLTeo

Unread postby TLTeo Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:53 am

If you don't get any further pyros just cast combustion as soon as Meteor lands.
Trustbucket

Unread postby Trustbucket Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:02 am

The pandemic effect works - in fact, that's why it doesn't explode. The "not exploding if refreshed through spreading" part is something that has been around since beta, and I haven't heard any plans to change/fix that.
Yeah, its really annoying to deal with especially with the 2 piece set bonus because if the living bomb spreads to a target that already has living bomb on it, it extends the explosion by the 3.6 seconds from pandemic, which really gets on my nerves if I need to use IB to gain a pyro! proc. What I always liked doing in AoE scenarios was spreading a living bomb, then reapplying it and saving IB for after the auxiliary LBs exploded to get 2 explosions in 12 sec + 3.6 sec + the time it takes for 2 globals instead of 1 every 12 seconds (if you don't IB twice in a LB window).

Now it seems much less worth it because I think spreading ignites with the inferno blasts is more of a gain than the increased explosion rate since you can use IB more frequently in practice since it wasn't a spell you used on CD with a single charge and the ignites from the 4pc spread would be very nice I would think, although I haven't been able to test my 4pc for fire since I got it.

I came to clarify something about fire that I wasn't sure about and forgot what it was because I got sidetracked thinking about this lol.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:52 am

If you don't get any further pyros just cast combustion as soon as Meteor lands.
Make sure you cast a fireball first and then combustion after you fionished fireball (but before it landed) so meteor lands first.
Owner of Altered Time.

ting92

Unread postby ting92 Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks for the clarification!
Im wondering the same thing but didnt think it was that clarifying and im wondering the same thing.

With tier 2 piece we get an extra IB so if i have pyro! should you stop casting fireballs and then use IB to get heat and then with pyro! and heat up cast a fireball and pyro at the same time. Or keep fishing with fireballs and not stop casting.
aycheff

Unread postby aycheff Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:19 am

Don't stop casting
Rabona

Unread postby Rabona Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Just for clarification, since I'm new to playing mage and haven't played with fire before BRF:

I'm running with the Arcane/Fire combo (w/ 4pc if that matters), so I only use fire on cleave/aoe encounters and right now it looks like that will be Thogar, Maidens and maybe Blast Furnace (my raid seems to lack both bomb and single target focus dps on that one, so it could go either way :( ) and twins.

Generally I would want to un-glyph Combustion for all bosses with periodic add spawns (Thogar, Furnace) and keep the glyph on encounters with multiple boss mobs or very long living adds (Maidens, Twins)?!

Looking at the talent comparison thread it appears that Meteor is superior (to Kindling) on up to three targets, however that's probably based on the condition that the presence of adds and Meteor's cd sync up?!
So I should run Meteor on Maidens + Twins and Kindling on Furnace + Thogar?!
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:59 pm

meteor is going to fall behind whenever the adds cannot sit in meteor burn, kindling/pc prolly the way to go with 2pc ignite
Garrod

Unread postby Garrod Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:57 pm

I've been getting pretty terrible results with Meteor so far in BRF. Even before I had my 2pc I was getting better mileage out of PC/Kindling, with 2pc PC became godlike.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced Fire for Mythic Raiding
<Side Project> 7/7 Mythic Highmaul 5/10 Mythic Blackrock Foundry

Return to “Fire”