Fire mage guide for 6.2 by Dutchmagoz!

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Frosted

Re: Fire mage guide for raiding by Dutchmagoz! [updated for

Unread postby Frosted Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:55 pm

Mastery is still ahead on single target.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:11 am

I think Dutch's answer is intended for 6.1, in which this is no longer the case.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:51 am

I think Dutch's answer is intended for 6.1, in which this is no longer the case.
I ran both heroic and mythic profiles before posting using 6.1 PTR data. Both have mastery > crit for single target. Also tried with different talent combinations, same results.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:57 am

I ran both heroic and mythic profiles before posting using 6.1 PTR data. Both have mastery > crit for single target. Also tried with different talent combinations, same results.
I am unable to reproduce your numbers. :|
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:06 am

I'll revert to that commit stage I was at and see what pyromaniac looks like then.

EDIT: Pyromanaic is fine. Something else is messing with results. Differences between our current build vs the PTR one.
TLTeo

Unread postby TLTeo Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:06 am

Could it be the recent pyro nerf?
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:39 pm

No.

Something wasn't hooked up right in the module after we removed the hardcode reduction of the rppm coeff for the PTR client files. It was querying the right coeff, but for some reason was not using it. So I was seeing higher pyromaniac uptimes with the hardcoded vs. PTR client stuff.

I think it should be ok on live...? and with it being ok crit > mastery again for single target.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Correct. (Since it's launching tommorow)
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
coldim

Unread postby coldim Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi,

Just a two quick questions regarding fire:
- I struggle to get 4pc bonus proc iduring trinket uptime in first seconds of fight. Sometimes it takes me more than 3pyroblast! procs to proc it. Is there any rule around this or any way to start the fight to make the chances bigger? I mean specifically the situation in which I have two targets and I want to keep both IB to spread ignite before combustion.
- On Mythic Darmac I wonder whether it is possible to time IB to spread the combustion from boss to the beast prior to him mounting it. I think on Nihilum POV this was done and it would be major dps gain to have my combustion on the beast and not just go to waste.
- Since nerf I am unsure about the stats priority. I play Fire only on multitarget fights and simcraft shows that with my gear haste>>>crit >= mastery - considering mastery is supposed to be superior on multitarget fights is it better to stick with mastery enchants/gems or should I switch to haste/crit? I understand that mastery does not affect LB which is usually quite a bit of my aoe dmg, so in that case maybe haste or crit would indeed be better than mastery? Anyone has idea why haste sims as high for me? (I know I have no haste trinket, and as a result I probably miss a lot of non-bl pull combustion).
TLTeo

Unread postby TLTeo Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Haste does strange stuff with 4piece, but it's not worth worrying about; i got some similar whacky sim results a while ago, but it feels really situational and not something you can realistically go after: http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic ... =40#p10906" target="_blank.
Just stick with mastery>crit, which also allows you to play arcane on single target
Zrellim

Unread postby Zrellim Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:29 pm

coldim about your Darmac question, you can spread it to adds -> back to the pet you choose first, and this way have it on this also, i use that for Mythic progression.
coldim

Unread postby coldim Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm

coldim about your Darmac question, you can spread it to adds -> back to the pet you choose first, and this way have it on this also, i use that for Mythic progression.
Yeah, problem with that is that on ale pulls adds were actualy dying too quick.
Xenra

Unread postby Xenra Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Yeah, problem with that is that on ale pulls adds were actualy dying too quick.
I don't know of any way to spread from the boss to the mounts other than Faultline. I've noticed if I'm casting at Darmac as he's mounting, the cast will still go through though. So there's that. I do believe he still takes damage regardless of the fact that you can't target him.

But yeah, when Faultline spawns, you can target him before Darmac mounts him, and you have a small moment as he's running over where you can spread your DoTs from him to Faultline. That's the only situation you can do so, as far as I'm aware.
JIMM

Unread postby JIMM Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:43 am

thank you for the great guide dutchmagoz

can u please elaborate more on 2-4 stacked target cleaving using 2piece T17 ?

I am having a difficult time aoe'ing properly with single target rotation but prioritize in spreading the dots, i kept making mistake munching my pyroblast procs, cant seem to get the mentality right cause it felt kinda counter intuitive for me. One of the biggest problem i get is if i keep getting 1+1 proc non stop and have no room to cast living bomb to get it rolling and spread it n stuff.

details like how important it is to have living bomb/pyro dot/ignite up and when to spread it. More detailed info about inferno blast usage and cd management, ie. use it whenever it is off CD and only save up when combustion about to come off cd to do the big ignite into 2x inferno into combustion combo.

Right now im just prioritizing spamming inferno blast and using pyro right after fireball cast as soon as it procs and not saving up till i get 1pyro+1 heat up to do the normal single target rotation to avoid pyro muching. The playstyle is a lot smoother but i don't know how much potential dmg i am missing out.

Thank you.
adrift

Unread postby adrift Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 pm

For the Darmac discussion, I have the same issue where the first wave of adds dies too quickly. I've had to resign myself to just holding combustion until he goes on the first mount. The only time I can avoid this is if I get a well placed spear from the first Pin Down to use. I don't really think you can time an IB while hes mounting, but even if you can I would rather wait and use the double IB trick off the pet since there is nothing to do it with before he mounts (again barring spear RNG).

As far as 4pc proc control, there really isn't much you can do. You just have to get your Pyro + HU and hope that you crit enough to chain 2-3 pyros and then that one of those procs 4pc.

I find Fire pretty frustrating to play right now, as my DPS can vary by like 10k depending solely on the timing of my 4pc procs in relation to combustion. It becomes even more annoying when trying to use the double IB trick - you can't IB for Pyro! on the pull and are basically stuck spamming fireball and praying you don't waste HU. Having either Sandman's or Repository helps quite a lot though.
Celesti

Unread postby Celesti Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Hey guys!
I just have some questions concerning fire. I'm playing frost at the moment, and prior to the 4pc T17 nerf, i thought fire and arcane are gonna pull way ahead of frost. So i ran all those raids again for the past 2 weeks and got some gear for fire spec. I'm just wondering should i move to fire or stick with frost? I like sticking to one spec throughout all raid, and i really wanna do that with fire. I'm only doing brf no more HM, do u think maining fire throughout all fights is a good idea? And if i wanna use fire for all fights, should I be geming/enchanting mastery or crit?
One last thing, i'm on my 3rd t17 item, i still need one so i only got my 2pc bonus, should i move to fire only when i get my 4pc or shall i just go with it now? The reason i asked this question is because I don't wanna gem/enchant a either crit or mastery with 2pc T17 and once i get my 4th T17 pc regem/renchant to another stat, since i'm super poor in wow.

Thank you guys, great guide, and ur support is appreciate it!! :D (mind my grammar, spelling, whatever i'm not an english speaker!)
Mejn

Unread postby Mejn Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:35 pm

Is any1 else having issues with 4 set proc at pull ? Since patch went live I never had procc at start , delaying combustion and basically end up way lower than I usually are. Seems no point to wait it anymore.
Wupie

Unread postby Wupie Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Is any1 else having issues with 4 set proc at pull ? Since patch went live I never had procc at start , delaying combustion and basically end up way lower than I usually are. Seems no point to wait it anymore.
They lowered the RPPM to 0.7 or something i believe, and now if you get a proc near the start, you better be counting your lucky stars. It seems like it's a huge nerf to it, and its no longer worth holding onto combustion for it. I could be wrong but hopefully frosted or dutch can clear things up.
perchon

Unread postby perchon Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:56 am

I saw a mage spamming flamestrike on adds the other day, doing like 170k dps. I guess this increases the ignite, but was wondering what the mechanic is here, and why someone would do that. I think he was using lb/spread and dragon breath on cd also, but i thought flamestrike didn't need to be refreshed until the ground effect disappeared. Can anyone drop some knowledge on me about this?
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Updated the stat priority, and also added a 2+4pc explanation at the rotation section.

Single target stat priority: haste till 900 > crit > mastery > multistrike=haste > versatility
For AoE/cleave fights: haste till 900 > mastery > crit > multistrike=haste > versatility

Always gem crit, except for cleave fights, then mastery. Same goes for enchants, enchant crit unless cleave fight, then enchant mastery. If you only play fire, and you are close to 900 haste, gem haste until 900 haste, then gem crit/mastery depending on the fight.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!

Return to “Fire”