[7.1.5] Fire mage guide for Legion, by Rinoa

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Draegon

Re: [7.0] Rinoa's Pre-Patch Fire Guide

Unread postby Draegon Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:18 pm

Hey guys, just a question about the Opener, I've been following Rinoa's guide as far as pre-casting Pyroblast into Rune then if the pyro crits, combust and so fourth (if not then scorch and combust at 3/4ths through)
The downside here being having to cast rune during ring uptime (only minor but still a point)

I feel like there is fair validation to both Firemancers Opener and also Causese's Opener too, both being that you get slightly more damage in during the ring being up, as opposed to Rinoa's pre-casted Pyro and more up time on rune.

Firemancer is opening with Rune>Pot & Zerking into Fireball with combustion just before it hits the
boss and unloading from there. (this strat has the highest "waste" of time on Rune due to casting during its uptime, but still more uptime on damage during ring)

Causese is opening with Rune> Pot & Zerking>Scorch with combust at the end and unloading from there. (The difference here being a shorter cast time on scorch so more damage with pyros as opposed to the fireball opener)

Im just trying to work out if its worth pre-casting Pyro or even fireball over a short quick scorch opener.

Im sure the answer here is going to be, Its minuscule.

thoughts?
laguna

Unread postby laguna Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Precasting pyro wastes 4 seconds of int pots. Don't think its worth it actually. You can precast cinderstorm which helps proc sandmans really well.
spud

Unread postby spud Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:52 pm

I would like to know peoples thoughts on Rune of Power OUTSIDE of burst phase?

What spells\conditions should you have ready to maximize its use (outside of burst phase)?

Thanks!
Astaine

Unread postby Astaine Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:58 pm

I would like to know peoples thoughts on Rune of Power OUTSIDE of burst phase?

What spells\conditions should you have ready to maximize its use (outside of burst phase)?

Thanks!
Generaly, line it up with your second flame on proc, save to charges of fireblast, have a heating up/Pyro proc, and aim for pyro>blast>pyro>blast>pyro>flameon>blast>pyro>blast>pyro, but due to crit that may or may not happen, but you make the best of it.
Astaine <squishy> - Kazzak EU
Logs
Armoury
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Sometimes I find that sandman won't proc till +5 seconds into the pull, in this case do I hold off on combustion and other CDs like flame on / RoP until sandman procs? Assuming that the ring is popped on pull.
Linarias

Unread postby Linarias Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:47 am

Sometimes I find that sandman won't proc till +5 seconds into the pull, in this case do I hold off on combustion and other CDs like flame on / RoP until sandman procs? Assuming that the ring is popped on pull.
It makes sense to me to wait on Sandman's proc since you'll be utilizing that critical strike rating increase for your combustion/mastery conversion on hotstreak ignites.
xirrohon

Unread postby xirrohon Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:29 pm

I feel like there is fair validation to both Firemancers Opener and also Causese's Opener too, both being that you get slightly more damage in during the ring being up, as opposed to Rinoa's pre-casted Pyro and more up time on rune.

Firemancer is opening with Rune>Pot & Zerking into Fireball with combustion just before it hits the
boss and unloading from there. (this strat has the highest "waste" of time on Rune due to casting during its uptime, but still more uptime on damage during ring)

Causese is opening with Rune> Pot & Zerking>Scorch with combust at the end and unloading from there. (The difference here being a shorter cast time on scorch so more damage with pyros as opposed to the fireball opener)
Didnt they change the way spells react in that the modifiers are determined when the spell leaves and not when it hits the target? Im assuming, thats what they are trying to do anyway. Meaning trying to get 100% crit on their opening Scorch/Fireball/Pyro isnt happening since the spell was already cast.
Grumpdogg

Unread postby Grumpdogg Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:58 am

Pyro can proc T18 bonus

<Ajantis> US-Saurfang (OCE)
Grümp
Grumpwolf
Grumpdogg

Oldfolk

Unread postby Oldfolk Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:45 am

Didnt they change the way spells react in that the modifiers are determined when the spell leaves and not when it hits the target? Im assuming, thats what they are trying to do anyway. Meaning trying to get 100% crit on their opening Scorch/Fireball/Pyro isnt happening since the spell was already cast.
Well, even if they change the way spells react, you can use your combustion @3/4 of a cast. In this case, you're already under the combustion's effect when spell leaves and you still get your 100% crit ;)
laguna

Unread postby laguna Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:15 am

Anyone else using vers pots? I've been using mark of shadowmoon and vers pots and it seemed to be better than when I had mark of frostwolf and int pots.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Seemed based on what kind of observation? Dummy tests? Logs? Simulation?
Blugatti

Unread postby Blugatti Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:29 am

some of top chinese mages are running that also.
http://www.proraiders.com/player/index. ... r=Blugatti" target="_blank
#1 WCL Fire mage EU/US. hey ps3 fart, hey xbox360 yah
laguna

Unread postby laguna Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:28 pm

Based off arch sale pulls, vers seemed to give a slight higher burst. Since speeds kills are mainly just burst damage, I was thinking vers would be better. Going to try vers pots and food plus mark of shadowmoon tmr for mythics.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:36 pm

For extremely short fights haste appears to sim the best here though your hunch wasn't entirely wrong since versatility comes 2nd.

Coos

Unread postby Coos Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:51 pm

Hullo chaps,

I'm new to posting, but I've been lurking for a while. Thanks very much for this guide, Rinoa, it is so much more detailed and thorough than the Icy Veins guide (which was where I used to go for my information... Never again. xD) On to my question: Can anyone explain to me exactly why mastery is our lowest priority stat now? Is it purely because we now get mastery based off our crit in combustion phases and haste is too good for the fire blast CD? I just can't quite figure out what it is about versatility which makes it better than mastery. My guess based on my own experience and from reading people's comments it would at least make sense to put mastery and versatility at the same level, but I did see in the sim above that obviously versatility is very strong in short fights. Basically I'm completely lost and confused with why the stat priorities below crit are the way they are. I'm just starting to get into this more serious theory-crafting, but it is all very alien to me. Sorry if this is an unwelcome or too novice question, but I am rather at a loss at the moment.

cheers,

c00s
Crayon

Unread postby Crayon Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Has anyone else gotten a 745 Chipped Soul Prism? I have one that also rolled avoidance, seems like in a coordinated raid group my 725 sandmans with 730 Tome pulls ahead. But I like to run the Chipped during trash and what not, so as not to waste the sandmans proc during trash and it not being up for the pull on boss. Was just wondering everyone else's thoughts =D
ardomur

Unread postby ardomur Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Regarding the Slootbag Interview with WatcherDev and him saying
"If Fire is way too good, rather than bringing them down to a point where they are tied with or worse than Frost and Arcane, they will take them to slightly too good still." (Quote from MMO-Champion)
should we be ready to play Arcane and Frost?
/TinFoilHats
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Regarding the Slootbag Interview

should we be ready to play Arcane and Frost?
It was a statement of "we will do very small changes". The technical form is "we will tune them plus or minus a little without changing the order of what spec is better against another spec". I don't know if that's a realistic goal, considering specs comparisons are partially apples and oranges comparisons due to utility differences, mechanics differences and long-term-gearing scaling imbalances.
Milou

Unread postby Milou Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:50 am

Call me cynical, but if they were really able to tune them to be just slightly better to keep ordering the same then they should be able to do it in the first place. Since they can't, I wouldn't hold my breath they pull it off correctly.
Darkwraith01

Unread postby Darkwraith01 Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:24 am

Any word on how the Aug 22nd nerf to Critical Mass affects Fire overall? Will this work as a buff while leveling / Dungeon Geared and nerf with Raid Gear? Any clues?

Return to “Fire”