[7.1.5] Fire mage guide for Legion, by Rinoa

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Eggochiggo

Re: [7.1.5] Fire mage guide for Legion, by Rinoa

Unread postby Eggochiggo Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 am

I'm not the greatest mage, but I can attest that MI is super strong when you don't know the fight in and out, losing one RoP due to some heavy movement is just really disheartening.

Our combustion rotation is also so much more fun to play around when I can just pop it and move/blink anywhere and not lose any dps time.
inphared

Unread postby inphared Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:46 am

I'm not the greatest mage, but I can attest that MI is super strong when you don't know the fight in and out, losing one RoP due to some heavy movement is just really disheartening.

Our combustion rotation is also so much more fun to play around when I can just pop it and move/blink anywhere and not lose any dps time.
Yeah, I prefer one less CD to have to manage or worry about, ESPECIALLY with the loss of Ice Flows. I was just wondering if perhaps RoP was giving the other mage in my guild a big leg up or something. As I said, he beat me by almost 100k DPS on one of the fights, I forget which. Trying to figure out if it's a talent build difference or his leg bracers vs my lack of them.
illwil

Unread postby illwil Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 am

Ok, that's what I thought but was confused. I guess since Nighthold has so many adds in most fights that RoP seems to do better than MI because of this? I hate CiS, so I will stick with Meteor. Does kindling have any place in the discussion though? I know Icy-Veins is looked down upon, but they seem to say Kindling > in most cases, but the sims don't agree.

Also, are the legendary bracers worth a large chunk of DPS? He has those & I don't, so I'm wondering if that is skewing things in his favor more than I think it does.
RoP does make any situation with adds favor it significantly. CiS is a huge pain in the ass, but even if you use it on add heavy fights when you can easily hit a couple targets its a bigger dps boost than a couple meteors per fight.

I honestly don't think kindling really has any purpose right now. If you sim it and its not a huge dps loss, then you can use it, but just remember that fight times vary, and you might not be able to fully utilize that extra combustion anyway.

The bracers do increase dps quite a bit, but not 100k worth. if you have simc you can run the numbers yourself.
inphared

Unread postby inphared Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:07 am

RoP does make any situation with adds favor it significantly. CiS is a huge pain in the ass, but even if you use it on add heavy fights when you can easily hit a couple targets its a bigger dps boost than a couple meteors per fight.

I honestly don't think kindling really has any purpose right now. If you sim it and its not a huge dps loss, then you can use it, but just remember that fight times vary, and you might not be able to fully utilize that extra combustion anyway.

The bracers do increase dps quite a bit, but not 100k worth. if you have simc you can run the numbers yourself.
Just downloaded it, going to sim some stuff myself this weekend to figure it out. I'm most likely going to stick with Meteor & then swap between RoP/MI depending on the situation.

Speaking of combustion, back to my original post, I should use Comb/Zerk at the start & then in two minutes, use Combustion again & not wait 60 secs for zerk to come back up, right? Cause it should be Comb/Zerk - 2 mins pass - Comb - 2 mins pass - Comb/Zerk
illwil

Unread postby illwil Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 am

Yeah don't wait in a typical boss fight scenario.
wizardsnz

Unread postby wizardsnz Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 am

hi guys

i have 53% cirit should i delay meteor to drop in comustion or is it waste?

thx and it depened on cirit to do it whether or not?
wizeek

Unread postby wizeek Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 pm

i have 53% cirit should i delay meteor to drop in comustion or is it waste?
There is a post on mmo-champ with math:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/214 ... st44129329

Not sure about its correctness but if you follow it then for 53% crit you should save Meteor for Combustion
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Also, are the legendary bracers worth a large chunk of DPS? He has those & I don't, so I'm wondering if that is skewing things in his favor more than I think it does.
12,5% according to sims
ardomur

Unread postby ardomur Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:49 pm

I did Nighthold nhc yesterday and ran with Kindling (it sims highest for me) and especially on Spellblade Aluriel it was pretty great. The Fire Phase is 85 sec long, the Frost Phase is 85 sec long and the Arcane Phase 70 sec. I got Combustion up for every Set of adds, the 2nd Fire Phase Combustion is late and it gets worse, the longer you fight so probably bad on Mythic and if you have to much to move and don't get the Combustion CD down enough
illwil

Unread postby illwil Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:25 pm

I did Nighthold nhc yesterday and ran with Kindling (it sims highest for me) and especially on Spellblade Aluriel it was pretty great. The Fire Phase is 85 sec long, the Frost Phase is 85 sec long and the Arcane Phase 70 sec. I got Combustion up for every Set of adds, the 2nd Fire Phase Combustion is late and it gets worse, the longer you fight so probably bad on Mythic and if you have to much to move and don't get the Combustion CD down enough
What's your gear like, legendaries etc? I'd love if kindling simmed highest for me. I am tempted to use it in some mythic+ since I hate CiS so much.
EmberPFU

Unread postby EmberPFU Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Quick question, bosses like Botanist and Chronomatic Anomaly, people are using Flame Patch instead of Living Bomb. Why is that?
Rugrud

Unread postby Rugrud Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:21 am

Question about Koralon, do you still use CiS on CD in the execute phase at <30%?
Eyliria

Unread postby Eyliria Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 am

12,5% according to sims
Wow... just glad they rebalanced legendaries...

I have neither bracers or koralon's. It feels like I'm playing FireGimp spec. Thankfully NH has cleave on a lot of fights... but on pure ST fights it's downright pathetic to be pulling ~440-460k @ 888ilvl when other classes are just comfortably cruising over 500k with as little as 880ilvl.
Xenost

Unread postby Xenost Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Quick question, bosses like Botanist and Chronomatic Anomaly, people are using Flame Patch instead of Living Bomb. Why is that?
For Anomaly Flame patch might be slightly better but it depends on the time that the adds take to die.

For botanist isn't that obvious? Flame Patch destroys LB on long duration cleave 2-3 long lived targets is where FP shines. LB is better when there are way more targets or if they are short lived.
incaendius

Unread postby incaendius Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Wait does flame patch stack? Or do we cast it every 8 sec?
Tagain

Unread postby Tagain Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Wait does flame patch stack? Or do we cast it every 8 sec?
It stacks.
Rydis

Unread postby Rydis Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 am

when should one cast cinderstorm on ST fights after the intial CiS->combustion opener?
Colinthetank

Unread postby Colinthetank Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:08 am

For Botanist I parsed in the 98th percentile for all fire mages and Flame Patch accounted for 11.62% of my total damage. Flamestrike in total was almost 30% of my total damage. If your tank stacks the bosses + brings them over to the adds and the fire orb, you start to do ridiculous damage with flamestrike + flame patch in phase 3.

tl;dr - DEFINITELY use flame patch for Botanist on normal/heroic. TBD on Mythic, but probably the same.

Botanist logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6g ... e&source=8" target="_blank
Frantik

Unread postby Frantik Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:24 pm

So how exactly is the optinal way to use flamestrike?

After the 3 bosses are out on last part of fight every pyro proc you get should be an instant flamestrike? or you use it even with 2 of them? or you mix pyros with flamestrike every other proc?

Is it worth hardcasting flamestrike since it is so good?
Xenost

Unread postby Xenost Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:53 pm

It's a dps gain on 2 targets and more, but you may want to use pyroblast if you know the tank is about to move the boss.

But yeah basicaly if you know the boss(es) is gonna stay in place and alive for the next 8s, replace everyone of your PB with FS (on 2+ targets).

Return to “Fire”