[7.1.5] Fire mage guide for Legion, by Rinoa

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Rinoa
Administrator

Re: [7.1.5] Fire mage guide for Legion, by Rinoa

Unread postby Rinoa Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:15 pm

To Rinoa: I feel like the guide massively undervalues Flame Patch and implies that you don't really want to use it because Living Bomb. Unless add packs are huge, the stability of FP seems to produce better results for me.
I'm inclined to agree. I altered the wording a bit in certain places.

The problem with Flame Patch is that it requires enemies to stand in it for a long time. When you sim it, unless you specifically tell the sim otherwise, it counts every FP barring the ones at the very end of the sim as ticking for all 8 seconds. This overvalues it when compared to real world scenarios -- Living Bomb doesn't have that issue.

That being said, it is very strong and can be applied well in a multitude of situations. Particularly higher m+ when it's not viable to pull a ton of mobs and keep them moving all the time.
Any views on which 4 out of the 6 tier pieces should be our priority?
Gloves, legs and cloak are shoe-ins since they both have crit on them and do not interfere with good legendaries. For the fourth piece, both chest and shoulders are fine I think. Chest is more convenient since there are crit shoulders in Nighthold but no crit chest. It also allows you to use the CoS+Arcway 2-set if you wish.

Helm overlaps with Dragon's Breath helm so I wouldn't recommend that if you have it. Of course ideally you have all 6 pieces at a high itemlevel so you can use whatever is optimal in any situation, but unfortunately that is rarely an option.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
Falq

Unread postby Falq Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks Xenost and Sarox for explanations!

I did some dummy testing and I have to admit you are wrong...

I had 3 dummies:

a - b - c

hit dummy a with FB
hit dumm c with Pyro

FB produced 2.5k ignite, which spread to dummy b

Pyro produced 7.5k ignite which spread to dummy b and c over time

after few seconds all dummies were ticking for 7.5k and finished same time. Means Ignite from FB only ticked like 2 times and then got overwritten by huge Pyro ignite, means rest of the ticks disappeared resulting in dps loss. Also after FS as I said, only initial ignite kept ticking on each targets without any change. Only if one of the targets crit it spread to others with twice as high value.

About target swapping it's not dps loss only if you switch to target which also have as high ignite as your main target (due to ignite spreading) if it dont have ignite, or have lower and ur hit occurs, it's dps loss.

To continue this discusion come and join separated thread
Lastmagí

Unread postby Lastmagí Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 am

Can someone please tell me what im doing wrong here im struggling sustain over 350k Single target as fire

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/c ... %AD/simple" target="_blank

Just wondering if someone can see something obvious that would help me improve
Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Rydis

Unread postby Rydis Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:45 am

To Rinoa: I feel like the guide massively undervalues Flame Patch and implies that you don't really want to use it because Living Bomb. Unless add packs are huge, the stability of FP seems to produce better results for me.
I'm inclined to agree. I altered the wording a bit in certain places.

The problem with Flame Patch is that it requires enemies to stand in it for a long time. When you sim it, unless you specifically tell the sim otherwise, it counts every FP barring the ones at the very end of the sim as ticking for all 8 seconds. This overvalues it when compared to real world scenarios -- Living Bomb doesn't have that issue.

That being said, it is very strong and can be applied well in a multitude of situations. Particularly higher m+ when it's not viable to pull a ton of mobs and keep them moving all the time.
Any views on which 4 out of the 6 tier pieces should be our priority?
Gloves, legs and cloak are shoe-ins since they both have crit on them and do not interfere with good legendaries. For the fourth piece, both chest and shoulders are fine I think. Chest is more convenient since there are crit shoulders in Nighthold but no crit chest. It also allows you to use the CoS+Arcway 2-set if you wish.

Helm overlaps with Dragon's Breath helm so I wouldn't recommend that if you have it. Of course ideally you have all 6 pieces at a high itemlevel so you can use whatever is optimal in any situation, but unfortunately that is rarely an option.
I agree, I think CoS/AW set fits nicely with the 4peice..problem is..getting a good high Il on both those peices from M+ is basically near impossible to compete with NH items just because of IL and Masterloot over M+ looting.
magetime

Unread postby magetime Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Hello, thank you for this guide.

I don't see any guidelines for using Mirror Image in the rotation section.

Is it used on cooldown? Is it always used right before or after Combustion? The cooldown is longer than Combustion, so should I wait for it?
broedrost

Unread postby broedrost Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Hello, thank you for this guide.

I don't see any guidelines for using Mirror Image in the rotation section.

Is it used on cooldown? Is it always used right before or after Combustion? The cooldown is longer than Combustion, so should I wait for it?
The cooldown is the same as Combustion. You use it on cd, with combustion :)
magetime

Unread postby magetime Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Pay attention because there is a common mistake with this opener, you should combust at the end of the Meteor GCD, it's quite tricky since you can't queue Combust so you have to look at your GCD (if you have an add on which show a GCD bar it's easier) to know when to combust.
Why do you need to wait for the Meteor GCD to finish before combusting?
illwil

Unread postby illwil Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Why do you need to wait for the Meteor GCD to finish before combusting?

because if you dont have a heating up and you use combustion during the GCD then you miss out on a split second of combust before you can cast PF
Lahrast

Unread postby Lahrast Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Rinoa in the Guide you state that "regarding relics, ilvl comes first" but frosted shows in his thread, that for generic gear fb-cast is above 2-3 ilvl (weap) and my own sims (with belt/bracer) show pyro +6, ignite +5 (others around +2) ilvl (weapon) against def traits.
Falq

Unread postby Falq Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Rinoa in the Guide you state that "regarding relics, ilvl comes first" but frosted shows in his thread, that for generic gear fb-cast is above 2-3 ilvl (weap) and my own sims (with belt/bracer) show pyro +6, ignite +5 (others around +2) ilvl (weapon) against def traits.
That's prob because of gear setup :) As always best way to find upgrade is to sim urself. Yesterday I exchanged Pyro relic with +2 wilvl Crit Dmg relic with Leg bracers equipped. because sim showed me around 5k dps difference
Lahrast

Unread postby Lahrast Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:44 pm

That's prob because of gear setup :) As always best way to find upgrade is to sim urself. Yesterday I exchanged Pyro relic with +2 wilvl Crit Dmg relic with Leg bracers equipped. because sim showed me around 5k dps difference
that's because of your helm & AF talent choice, my statement is true for legendary-free (see frosted thread) and my setup (posted it somewhere in frosted's thread)

generally yes, the ranking and difference between relics is very dependant on legendaries & talents, not much on gear (stats&ilvl) in general i think - someone could make a matrix maybe... or at least table of which legy boosts which trait by roughly how much... but i lack the compute-power to do so (maybe not for much longer).

i did some exploration for my setup and found out, that koralons funny enough boosts pyro/ignite equally while devaluing firebolt while bracer prefer pyro over ignite by roughly 3/2 while also devaluing firebolt
draklis (especially with AF talent) will be a huge chunk of your damage and therefore prefer the crit-dmg trait
and so on and so on..
Adeltor

Unread postby Adeltor Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Hey guys, I've been on the forums, reading all the stuff, but now it's time to ask for help :)

So I'm basicly a casual player, who joins PuG's in Grp Finder, but still I can''t seem the right formula to do decent dps with my gear. I guess I'm doing something wrong, so I'm asking for your help here. The issue is mainly single target damage, on "chilled" encounters like Star Augur hc for example.

So basicly this is my armory -> http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... r/advanced" target="_blank

And this is warcraft logs: (keep in mind I had worse gear, when most of them were recorded):
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 61/latest/#" target="_blank

And one thing, a little bit more specific. Last night I was killing Star Augur, and there was this mage http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... C/advanced" target="_blank
Who had almost the same gear as mine, but was specced into Pyromaniac instead of Conflag. These are the logs from the fight: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HM ... amage-done" target="_blank

So what do you think I'm doing wrong? Like this guy had almost the same gear (yeah his wep is +3 ilvls compared to mine), but still, the difference is too big and as far as I can see, his MI did a lot more dmg than mine, even though we've casted them 3 times during the fight (during combustion) so I don't know. By the time we were on the boss, I was with Star Gate 875, and he was with tier gloves 875 (we got Star gate 890 + gloves 900 respectively after the kill). My Artiffact traits are 43 level, and my artifact relics are 2x Pyro.Paranoia + 1x Fire crit dmg +4% (from Skorp).

I'd really love some help on this issue, as overall I've simmed my char in MrRobot on Krosus fight eg. it shows 510k dps at max with the gear and talents I have. I seem to get max 500, considering all the mechanics.|

Thanks in advance!
Falq

Unread postby Falq Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Hey Adeltor, I took a look at this Augur log and there is nothing teri bad about your dps. This guy Loxi did more damage because of many small improvements,

He double potted, he got enchant on cloak and most important he had way more (4) set bonus procs (u 9 he 16). When you look at first 1 min of the fight, he got a lot of more damage from mirror images just because of this 2 procs vs urs 0. But yeah if you want to compete with people you gotta do everything right so double pot, and echanting your gear is a must.
Adeltor

Unread postby Adeltor Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:18 am

Hey man. Thank you very much for your feedback, I'd gladly have "more procs" :D
So yeah, I have had enchant with intellect on my cloak, but I seem to forget when I got the 900 ilvl one, since I had 875 cloak and got really excited, so I exchanged straight away, since it was pretty bigger difference.

So I guess I have to wait for the Bracers and more procs then :)

P.S.
One more last thing - do you think Pyromaniac should be taken instead of Conflag? I'm not quite sure, cuz of messy Pyro proc, but well... it's a Pyro proc after all :D
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:46 am

It once procced 5 times in a row for me, so yeah, you can take it. But it's only good on krosus,trillax. Conflag is better for others.
Adeltor

Unread postby Adeltor Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Ty.

Btw I just did Trilliax HC and my 4-set didn't proc XD
Makz

Unread postby Makz Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:09 am

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Ty.

Btw I just did Trilliax HC and my 4-set didn't proc XD
4 set is a bit flakey, but if you look at the proc rate on a full 10/10 run its kind of ok. I have been running Pyromaniac for a while, not sure if it procs it tho, someone in another thread said they are going to sim it.

Keep in mind most Heroic runs are extremely fast now - most of my kills are a maximum of 2-3 minutes per kill excluding the high-end fights.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
subtlexgaming

Unread postby subtlexgaming Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:48 pm

I am lucky and got a 915 titanforge helm from Arcway for the 3000 haste two piece. I have chest so I guess I should be spamming the heck out of CoS for the shoulders, but how good is that set piece? (proc rate, etc). I feel like my ST as fire has gone down a lot. I was ner 18% haste, but haste has been simming at 4-7 stat weight and I've been dropping it for versatility and mastery. My sim DPS has gone up, but I haven't felt a huge boost in ST dps and it feels clunky w/o the haste.

Wish someone would review my logs...I feel like I never max my pyro bast casts, but I also feel like I do the rotation correctly for ST. Maybe I just need the belt or helm badly and thats why my casts seem low compared to others of pryo's.
FatDarkOrion

Unread postby FatDarkOrion Tue May 02, 2017 11:36 am

Hi i always start my burstphase (pre cast pyro on pull) with atleast heated up placing a RoP cast cinderstorm and activate combusten before CS hits to get my 5 crit stacks and continue with the normal burst rota but im not sure if the 10% crit dmg is worth the 3 sec i loose RoP uptime for pyroblast and w/e
Aethas

Unread postby Aethas Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 pm

First time posting here on Altered Time! Hope this is placed in the right spot.

I recently got a titanforged 920 Whispers in the Dark from a heroic cache. I'm having issues pulling off my rotation when the trinket procs (+50% haste), especially when lust is active and I have a few stacks from my metronome. By the time my spell has hit the target I've already finished casting the next spell, or I'm close to finishing the cast and I don't have time to react. How do you all handle such high levels of haste? I try moving closer to the boss, but that is not always an option with stacking raid mechanics.

Return to “Fire”