[7.1.5] Fire mage guide for Legion, by Rinoa

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
skiz

Re: [7.0] Rinoa's Pre-Patch Fire Guide

Unread postby skiz Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:20 am

What about Orb of Voidsight?
short question:
whats about this trinket compared to the others hfc trinkets? http://www.wowhead.com/item=124227&bonus=567" target="_blank
Saw a lot of trinket questions here and in IRC. Basically, RPPM trinkets got slightly changed. Do not expect a RPPM trinket to procc right at the pull. So every currently available RPPM trinket is heavily nerfed. Especially with ring usage early on this hurts.

I haven't looked that deeply into APL but it seems to be okayish, there are some edge cases where it sucks, but it shouldn't be that much of an issue (~ +5k dps at max I would guess).

---updated ---
There is a Spoiler at the guide - open it. See trinket list.
---updated ---

Trinkets in a nutshell:

Recommend to run SMP + that trinket which you do like. Enjoy it. Prepatch content does not last long. Some trinkets need specific talents. (Cinderstorm + PoF, Flame patch + ToSW)
Running oom? ToSW is evil, cinderstorm is easier on mana but basically ToSW.

Btw. playing rotation correctly is more rewarding than perfect trinket setup. Get used to the rotation, it has slightly changed!
In your Cinderstorm sims, how are you using Cinderstorm? As close to on cd as possible after using HU/Pyro procs?
Usually delaying such things to not mess up with the fire HU/HS-procc system was rewarding in previous patches. I have not simmed it and this is one of those cases where the simcraft fire APL may need slight adjustments. Anyway, feels better and I doubt it will be a big loss. Feel free to sim it and be so kind and publish the APL.
Is Incanter's Flow better for sustained cleave/AoE than RoP?
With raiding and legion in mind, I'm pretty sure that "Flame-on","Rune of Power" and "Meteor" will become a serious thing for on demand burst. Recommend to get used to "Flame-on" and rune of power. Adding Meteor into it does not seem to be that complex. But hitting enemies with cinderstorm certainly is an issue. Get used to it.

Thing with firemage is: We're bursty every combustion and every ~45 seconds roughly on legion. Rune of Power feels good on it. However, all 3 talents are roughly balanced on singeltarget. So for even higher Burst Mirror Image is probably decent.

No Idea if incanters flow will be decent on anything, but if you're pissed at rune of power and you've more than 1 target then IF should be your option. Obviously to see if RoP does not fit you: you've to use it. And looking at HFC I'm probably going IF on xhulhorac.

Regarding AoE:
- living bomb or flamepatch are those talents that heavily impact AoE damage. Flamepatch got slighty buffed recently but is still a little bit buggy. It is probably really good. Tome of shifting words is decent with it. But you'll run into mana issues and it can consume HS. Not sure if APL works correct with it. And honestly, I've no idea right now how to use flamestrike. Recommend to get used to living bomb - or slightly enjoy ToSW with flamepatch!
- Cinderstorm and PoF. Everything that increases amount of hits is slightly silly with PoF. Including Flamepatch, Conflagration.
- Conflagration outscaled every other talent in row 15 on AoE. That was before flame patch buff, so...

Talents in a nutshell:
recommend green ones, yellow ones are better on AoE from those numbers I've seen. (THEY MAY CHANGE!)
Hidden talents are mostly just traps. Some of the hidden ones are HIGHLY situational, i.e. Firestarter is decently while leveling. Assume that talents are balanced on singeltarget. Flame patch is "special"...
Last edited by skiz on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Festen

Unread postby Festen Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:42 am

Thank you for this very helpful guide. Well written.
Yuka69

Unread postby Yuka69 Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:32 pm

can you explain why Versa >Mastery ? i dont know why mastery isn't the second stats . thanks
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:44 pm

The guide is nice. I'm surprised about the Scorch claim but it sounds legit. Can you sim Orb of Voidsight for Demon single target as a possible second?
Raaiven

Unread postby Raaiven Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:55 pm

I am still skeptical about scorching during combustion, especially during BL and being specced Unstable Magic. I understand the premise of it but eh. Either way it goes without saying we appreciate the time it took you to come up with this stuff.
Embers

Unread postby Embers Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:28 pm

I would imagine its because scorch doesn't have a travel time like Fireball and the point is to get any kind of crit you can as fast as you can to fit more Pyroblasts into Combustion. And scorch will do that better than fireball when you're out of fireblasts.
LAwS

Unread postby LAwS Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:29 pm

We should consider data theory for Goren Soul Repository, since the potential it has with Kindling to make a 3 Combustion per 2 mins windows is great. Plus, it can align the third use of Combustion with Nilthramus.
Gibilthemage

Unread postby Gibilthemage Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:06 pm

Firestarter can be good for open world solo questing and high health% burns.
I would like to point out another aspect of this talent that I've found a lot of people over look and that is a consistent opener. With this talent you are able to remove RNG from your opener and give yourself something more rigid because two fireballs(possibly one from pre-pull perhaps) will guaranteed the hot streak! proc allowing you follow up accordingly and consistently.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:14 pm

I would like to point out another aspect of this talent that I've found a lot of people over look and that is a consistent opener. With this talent you are able to remove RNG from your opener and give yourself something more rigid because two fireballs(possibly one from pre-pull perhaps) will guaranteed the hot streak! proc allowing you follow up accordingly and consistently.
Speaking of which, assuming no Firestarter, anyone got an idea what's optimal for an opener with a ring used at 0?
somajs

Unread postby somajs Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Speaking of which, assuming no Firestarter, anyone got an idea what's optimal for an opener with a ring used at 0?
Precast Pyroblast, spam Scorch until you have Hot Streak then do Pyrochain as mentioned in the starting post by Rinoa. Sandman's will help here and/or high crit around ~50%+ crit chance.
We should consider data theory for Goren Soul Repository, since the potential it has with Kindling to make a 3 Combustion per 2 mins windows is great. Plus, it can align the third use of Combustion with Nilthramus.
Combustion has a 2 min CD now, that would need 120 crits in 2 min to enable the third Combustion at minute 2. It's not possible to crit every second, even with GSR and Fire Blast beeing off GCD.
Phígment

Unread postby Phígment Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks for the guide.
Last edited by Phígment on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Precast Pyroblast, spam Scorch until you have Hot Streak
I'd like to know if it's better to not scorch until Hot Streak but scorch until Heating Up for a Fire Blast. But, we kind of ask a lot of questions that might be best to be left to some tweaking with the sims. I'll try to do it myself and if I can I may respond about it.
Firemancer

Unread postby Firemancer Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Im confused a bit here with the whole scorch for faster heating ups or using firestarter to "guarantee opening crits" on the opener.

Don't forget combustion is able to be used mid cast now. My opener on Legion so far has been this :

Dbm timer>Rune of power>potion>Pre-cast Fireball>Cast combustion before the fireball hits the target/mid cast, this will guarantee a crit here>Fireblast>Pyro>Firblast>Pyro>Flame On>Fireblast>Pyro and then just continue to chain your crits (was using PE next, but since we are chatting pre-patch I'll stop there)
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:45 pm

I am still skeptical about scorching during combustion, especially during BL and being specced Unstable Magic. I understand the premise of it but eh. Either way it goes without saying we appreciate the time it took you to come up with this stuff.
If you're taking FO you don't get a lot of fireballs under combustion. Odds of procing UM off low fireball number isn't high. It isn't worth the loss in PB damage.
skiz

Unread postby skiz Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Dbm timer>Rune of power>potion>Pre-cast Fireball>Cast combustion before the fireball hits the target/mid cast, this will guarantee a crit here>Fireblast>Pyro>Firblast>Pyro>Flame On>Fireblast>Pyro and then just continue to chain your crits (was using PE next, but since we are chatting pre-patch I'll stop there)
Check rune of power duration and combustion duration. Don't cast between combustion and rop seems to be decent.
blackstoise

Unread postby blackstoise Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Looking at just hfc
using firestarter to "guarantee opening crits" on the opener.
We will be burning the start of the boss very quickly, probably in the duration of opening Combustion, even if kill times are increased 4x from what they are before the pre-patch. Makes Firestarter much worse. Possible uses maybe sneaking a free crit on priority adds to burst them down faster, but hitting the add before it drops <85% in a good group seems iffy.

Scorching for faster heating ups is mainly for filling in GCDs during combustion when you do not have Fireblasts available. If you manage to pull off the optimal Combustion situation (Entering with Hot Streak and 2 charges of Fire Blast + Flame On), you will have globals towards the end of Combust when you have Heating Up and no Fire Blast charges. In that situation Scorch will upgrade to Hot Streak Faster than Fireball and can lead to an extra Pyro. Outside of Combustion I see no advantage to using scorch, since you will be giving up Enhanced Pyrotechnics stacks on Fireball.

Edit: This is what I have seen at my gear level in PTR, which was ~717.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:05 am

Anyone have a macro to avoid munching both fire blasts?
Quetesh

Unread postby Quetesh Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:18 am

They are working on a fix for ToSW mana issues:
https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status ... 4357008384" target="_blank

I'm at work so i can't say if it's fixed already.
Xiloscienna

Unread postby Xiloscienna Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:29 am

Has anyone infos about the optimum distance for Cinderstorm to the target? i think it missed in max range...
Grumpdogg

Unread postby Grumpdogg Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:31 am

Are you guys enchanting weapon Frostwolf or Thunderlord?

<Ajantis> US-Saurfang (OCE)
Grümp
Grumpwolf
Grumpdogg

Return to “Fire”