[7.1.5] Fire mage guide for Legion, by Rinoa

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Rinoa
Administrator

Re: [7.1.5] Fire mage guide for Legion, by Rinoa

Unread postby Rinoa Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Whenever I do HC/Mythic EN I also just run one spec for everything in order to save time (summoning)/money (tomes). I just run Conflag - Shimmer - Rune of Power - Flame On - Frenetic Speed - Unstable Magic - Meteor.

It's not optimal for all fights by any stretch, but when there is no need to optimize in order to kill the boss it's a spec that does fine on anything.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Rinoa What are you thoughts on taking Firestarter so that you can have a mini combustion before your actual combustion on fights where you can't get a second/third combustion?.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VR ... iew=replay" target="_blank this a pretty normal kill time.

If the top mage had firestarter and did fireball, fireball, ROP, Fireball,Pyro, Pyro, FB, Pyro, PF, Pyro, all of that would have crit and left him in a good postion to drop his second ROP and then start his combustion phase, all while still getting the standard 2 combustions.

I mean his conflag only did 675.7k, where as with firestarter he got his entire opener doubled, and he could cheese a pyro or 2 in to the ghost bear when it was +90% health.
I think Firestarter is seriously underrated.
Elandelor

Unread postby Elandelor Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:02 am

What is the best talent build for m+ right now? I´ve been running w/ Conflag/Shimmer/RoP/FO/Ice Ward/LB/CiS
Falq

Unread postby Falq Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:55 am

Rinoa What are you thoughts on taking Firestarter so that you can have a mini combustion before your actual combustion on fights where you can't get a second/third combustion?.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VR ... iew=replay" target="_blank this a pretty normal kill time.

If the top mage had firestarter and did fireball, fireball, ROP, Fireball,Pyro, Pyro, FB, Pyro, PF, Pyro, all of that would have crit and left him in a good postion to drop his second ROP and then start his combustion phase, all while still getting the standard 2 combustions.

I mean his conflag only did 675.7k, where as with firestarter he got his entire opener doubled, and he could cheese a pyro or 2 in to the ghost bear when it was +90% health.
I think Firestarter is seriously underrated.
That sound like quite good idea, will try to sim that but not sure if I can make good enough APL since got not much experience on that :(
Revls

Unread postby Revls Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Does anyone know how much crit we should be sitting around ?
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 pm

What is the best talent build for m+ right now? I´ve been running w/ Conflag/Shimmer/RoP/FO/Ice Ward/LB/CiS
s

Depends what you need in the group you're in. Personally I run Conflag, Shimmer, Rune of Power, Alexstrasza's Fury (with Darckli's Dragonfire Diadem), Frenetic Speed and Cinderstorm for all dungeons at the moment.
Twitter
Armory

illwil

Unread postby illwil Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:52 pm

s

Depends what you need in the group you're in. Personally I run Conflag, Shimmer, Rune of Power, Alexstrasza's Fury (with Darckli's Dragonfire Diadem), Frenetic Speed and Cinderstorm for all dungeons at the moment.
with living bomb?
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes.
Twitter
Armory

Darkwraith01

Unread postby Darkwraith01 Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:56 pm

s

with living bomb?
I use the exact same build (with LB), and it does really well on trash pulls. Bosses, I feel it lacks a little burst (I don´t have the legendary), so I end up around 380k - 450k DPS on pure ST boss fights.

Higher level mythics with Tyrannical affix this might be a little bit of a problem, but except for that, it's a pretty decent build.

Because of Cinderstorm and Dragon Breath, I end up almost meeling trash packs (open with living bomb, shimmer close, place RoP and burn pack down), which can be a little dangerous.
illwil

Unread postby illwil Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:02 am

tyrannical and fort weeks will probably need different talents. We actually have to somewhat change specs now which I haven't decided if I like or dislike yet.
jc_333

Unread postby jc_333 Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:55 am

Does anyone know how much crit we should be sitting around ?
I'm curious about this too. According to sims I should be dropping my former BiS crit heavy trinkets for big intellect stat sticks, and losing crit to higher ilvl gear without it too. With such low crit the spec just doesn't seem to play right :/
Xenost

Unread postby Xenost Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:29 pm

tyrannical and fort weeks will probably need different talents. We actually have to somewhat change specs now which I haven't decided if I like or dislike yet.
To be honest the classic RoP/FO/LB/CiS works for pretty much everything to a decent degree. It's not optimal on ST but it's still pretty good (if you know how to handle CiS that is)

You can go AF instead of FO for M+ but without darkli it's quite inconvenient at times.
Frantik

Unread postby Frantik Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 am

So now with ice floes removed are we casting Scorch when moving or it is better to go with instants like fire blast and Phenix flames / pyro? Assuming no relevant legendaries..
Breakerzeus

Unread postby Breakerzeus Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:31 am

I found myself casting Scorch since you get the movement speed buff and you are faster at the location you were heading. Of course, if you have Instant-Pyro or can chain some Fire Blasts you should do that. But if I have nothing of these left or preparing for combustion-burst-mode, I scorch the hell out of it.
Syana

Unread postby Syana Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:43 pm

I actually find "Frenetic Speed" to be a rather useless talent and it is largely because it doesn't grant you the speed until you actually finished casting scorch. And so far I have rarely had to cast more than 1 scorch before reaching my destination, unless I have to move a larger distance. And that would be the time to use Shimmer instead.
Breakerzeus

Unread postby Breakerzeus Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:47 pm

And we get the Movement-Speed from the Atrifact Trait, though.
Saróx

Unread postby Saróx Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Imo the best build for mythic+ is 1/1/3/1/1/3/ and either of the last tier talents work wonders. If i go for a dungeon with alot of AOE i tend to go with kindeling, and if its a more cleave minded dungeon i run Meteor, since its also really damn good on ST fights. As i've stated in past posts, i dislike CiS, and therefor dont run it, but i see people with great success with this, but imo meteor is still the better option atm.

I run Drackli and Sepuzch, if i had koralons belt i'd run that instead of sepuzch, the same goes for KJ trinket. The highest M+ i've done is 15, so i cant speak for how it works higher up, and we always run the same grp, consisting of me fire mage, 2 rogues, one combat and one asassin, with a paladin healer. My job is purly AOE, the combat rogue is a great mix of AOE and ST and the Asassin is purely there to melt bosses, which he does really well. I find living bomb lack luster in lower M+, where minions dies too fast for it to work wonders, but in 10-12 and above where 3 affixes is in place, LB is pulling somewhat equal to Flame patch, so i mostly run purely with flame patch since its so well rounded atm, might be difirent after todays nerf but im not sure yet.

My gear is build around Crit (mindblown) and i wanna keep Mastery ahead of haste, but due to my current gear being build for pure Crit mastery and Haste is pretty even, at 18% each and crit at 60%.

Our strategi with this grp, is pull big melt fast which works out really really well. With the double rogue combo there is always tricks on the tank, and a lot of ways to lower the incomming dmg. Our favorite affix combo is the one we had just this week, with Skittish since fire mages do so well against this affix being able to kite everything forever unless its ranged heavy packs.

For trinkets i run with a 860 statstick with crit and a 895 Unstable Horrorslime as standard, and if the dungeon is really AOE heavy, i tend to swap to a 895 eye of skovald.
Last but not least i run with 2x ignite dmg relic, and 1x flamestrike relic, hoping to get a third ignite dmg relic in the mix.
inphared

Unread postby inphared Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:48 pm

According to the sims on the first page MI is almost ALWAYS superior to RoP & CiS to Meteor. Yet when I check armories & also other threads, I see people choosing RoP over MI & Meteor almost exclusively. That doesn't even begin to mention how a lot of guides seem to say Kindling is still best, even though almsot everyone I've checked is running Meteor.

I was running Conflag/Shimmer/MI/FO/FS/UM/Meteor all night, & doing alright. However, a second mage came in half way through, running RoP with the leg bracers (which I don't have) & was doing almost 100k more DPS than me consistently. I switched from MI to ROP & added LB for some add fights & managed to pull closer, but that seems to be the opposite of what the sims on the first page show. Is it because of my gear, or am I missing something?

Lastly, trinkets. Sinew, Ruby & others all seem to rank quite low now. So I am running an 860 arcano crystal & an 850 mana cracker. Yet when comparing dmg done by source, the second mages sinew & ruby were out dps'ng mine by a fair margin. Was this because NH is "add" friendly & aoe trinkets like Ruby pad it, or are the sims incorrect for me because they are based on such high gear?

Oh stupid question time, since I'm a troll what is optimal usage of combustion/zerker? Opener you use both, so after 2 minutes, do you use combustion & then spend 60 seconds with zerker up without using it, to line up with the 3rd combustion? I used to use Kindling, so I never had this issue before.
broedrost

Unread postby broedrost Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:11 am

According to the sims on the first page MI is almost ALWAYS superior to RoP & CiS to Meteor. Yet when I check armories & also other threads, I see people choosing RoP over MI & Meteor almost exclusively. That doesn't even begin to mention how a lot of guides seem to say Kindling is still best, even though almsot everyone I've checked is running Meteor.

I was running Conflag/Shimmer/MI/FO/FS/UM/Meteor all night, & doing alright. However, a second mage came in half way through, running RoP with the leg bracers (which I don't have) & was doing almost 100k more DPS than me consistently. I switched from MI to ROP & added LB for some add fights & managed to pull closer, but that seems to be the opposite of what the sims on the first page show. Is it because of my gear, or am I missing something?

Lastly, trinkets. Sinew, Ruby & others all seem to rank quite low now. So I am running an 860 arcano crystal & an 850 mana cracker. Yet when comparing dmg done by source, the second mages sinew & ruby were out dps'ng mine by a fair margin. Was this because NH is "add" friendly & aoe trinkets like Ruby pad it, or are the sims incorrect for me because they are based on such high gear?

Oh stupid question time, since I'm a troll what is optimal usage of combustion/zerker? Opener you use both, so after 2 minutes, do you use combustion & then spend 60 seconds with zerker up without using it, to line up with the 3rd combustion? I used to use Kindling, so I never had this issue before.
People generally run RoP for AoE and MI for single target/few targets.

Cinderstorm sims good because it's assuming you hit all cinders on CD, it's kinda hard to do consistently.
inphared

Unread postby inphared Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 am

People generally run RoP for AoE and MI for single target/few targets.

Cinderstorm sims good because it's assuming you hit all cinders on CD, it's kinda hard to do consistently.
Ok, that's what I thought but was confused. I guess since Nighthold has so many adds in most fights that RoP seems to do better than MI because of this? I hate CiS, so I will stick with Meteor. Does kindling have any place in the discussion though? I know Icy-Veins is looked down upon, but they seem to say Kindling > in most cases, but the sims don't agree.

Also, are the legendary bracers worth a large chunk of DPS? He has those & I don't, so I'm wondering if that is skewing things in his favor more than I think it does.

Return to “Fire”