Koralon's Burning Touch DPS loss?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Lorlan

Re: Koralon's Burning Touch DPS loss?

Unread postby Lorlan Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Sure, but with the short casttime of Scorch you will still run into the stated problem quit often.
Rikx

Unread postby Rikx Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:59 pm

Even with the Cinderstorm and PF "filling in" that dead time?
Lorlan

Unread postby Lorlan Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:03 am

I don't think you want to waste PF like this. =/
Khandiz

Unread postby Khandiz Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:06 pm

I own the belt and tried it out on the ptr. Ignoring the dmg numbers of scorch, the mechanic is pretty flawed. You can neither cast: Scorch -> Scorch -> Pyro, or Fireblast -> Scorch -> Pyro. If you hammer on your Pyro keybinding while casting Scorch you will always begin to hardcast Pyro. You have to wait a bit before you get the Hotstreak proc: Scorch -> Scorch -> wait -> Pyro.

I believe it's a communication problem between the client and the server. I finish casting Scorch but my client doesn't know yet that the Dmg was a crit. So it must wait for the server to answer that it actually was a crit and I can get my proc.

This kind of kills the belt for me. :(
Still it will be interesting to see the actual numbers for this rotation as compared to fireball. It might be the case that a a stat-tweak that makes INT>CRIT(decrease value of fireball, increase value of scorch under 25%) will make the scorch-rotation the better option even if you have to wait 1/10th of a second before hitting pyro. Guess its kinda pointless to try to evaluate this with the current PTR-iteration though.
Pank

Unread postby Pank Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:32 am

If the scorch isn't significantly buffed the belt won't be a top performer similar to what it is on live. Even with the scorch being currently at 350% spell power under 25%hp.

Since they are removing ice floes ( presumably ) we should expect a significant buff to the spell. There could be a couple of things predicting the buffs. One more talent that increases movement speed after scorch (along with the artifact trait although one of those is probably pvp oriented ), belt revamp, scorch being useless as of this moment.. let's hope for the best. I don't suppose they want us to weave insta casts with PF and fireblasts each time we want to move..
Mysto

Unread postby Mysto Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:40 am

7.1.5 PTR Build 23178
"Scorch deals 350% increased damage and is a guaranteed Critical Strike against enemies below 30% health."
lowska

Unread postby lowska Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:26 pm

YELLO, new BiS!

Basically an execute below 30% :o .
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Holy shit, that's sexy. Now Scorch just needs to be turned into a projectile to solve the munching issue.
I own the belt and tried it out on the ptr. Ignoring the dmg numbers of scorch, the mechanic is pretty flawed. You can neither cast: Scorch -> Scorch -> Pyro, or Fireblast -> Scorch -> Pyro. If you hammer on your Pyro keybinding while casting Scorch you will always begin to hardcast Pyro. You have to wait a bit before you get the Hotstreak proc: Scorch -> Scorch -> wait -> Pyro.

I believe it's a communication problem between the client and the server. I finish casting Scorch but my client doesn't know yet that the Dmg was a crit. So it must wait for the server to answer that it actually was a crit and I can get my proc.

This kind of kills the belt for me. :(
How does it look if you don't stand still? I constantly run around during the execute phase, thus preventing any accidental hardcasts. You lose a tiny amount of time between casts this way but you don't waste any potential instant pyros. You just have to keep track of the pyro crits to anticipate the next spell that you should cast.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:34 pm

in response to lorlan, just do SC, SC, SC, Pyro FB, Pyro, then start the chain again if they last pyro didn't crt and if it did just cut off the first SC.
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:57 am

So you have to hit FB in between launching and landing a pyro? Thats actually interesting, thanks.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Don't you waste a scorch this way?

I think the problem comes down to your range to target. After sending off the hot streak pyro, you have to wait to complete your gcd until you can start casting again. If you're in medium range, that's enough time for the pyro to hit and for you to notice whether or not it did crit (same goes for Pyromaniac procs - you can spot them quite easily if you pay attention to what happens within that split second). If it does crit you only need one more scorch to send out the next one, rinse and repeat. If it did not crit you need to cast twice. Either way you will know in advance what your next spell has to be. Weave in FB (while you cast the first scorch, then pyro directly) and PF (after the first scorch, then pyro (position so that PF also lands before you're off gcd)) if you have them.

I'm having great success with a gcd timer and a metronome (gcdmetronome). I then built a range indicator to let me know when I'm past the safe threshold. However, if you pull hero together with some other haste buff you might have to be very close to your target to pull this off effectively.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Don't you waste a scorch this way?

I think the problem comes down to your range to target. After sending off the hot streak pyro, you have to wait to complete your gcd until you can start casting again. If you're in medium range, that's enough time for the pyro to hit and for you to notice whether or not it did crit (same goes for Pyromaniac procs - you can spot them quite easily if you pay attention to what happens within that split second). If it does crit you only need one more scorch to send out the next one, rinse and repeat. If it did not crit you need to cast twice. Either way you will know in advance what your next spell has to be. Weave in FB (while you cast the first scorch, then pyro directly) and PF (after the first scorch, then pyro (position so that PF also lands before you're off gcd)) if you have them.

I'm having great success with a gcd timer and a metronome (gcdmetronome). I then built a range indicator to let me know when I'm past the safe threshold. However, if you pull hero together with some other haste buff you might have to be very close to your target to pull this off effectively.
no not at all, if you had followed the posts you'd have seen that casting SC, SC Pyro will always hardcast a pyro, where as if you SC, SC, SC pyro you'll fire a pyro with a HU active.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:20 pm

And if you had read my previous post, which takes into account what was said before, you'd be aware that I had a setup in mind where accidental hardcasts where excluded through constant movement. My apologies for not being clear on this.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll try out the rotation you propose.
Arkon the Noble

Unread postby Arkon the Noble Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Do you guys think Koralon's will go live with the 350% / guaranteed crit @ 30% change?

(Just got this last night as my 2nd legendary)
Erosis

Unread postby Erosis Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Do you guys think Koralon's will go live with the 350% / guaranteed crit @ 30% change?

(Just got this last night as my 2nd legendary)
Hah, same here. I don't think it will go live at its current state. But who knows?
Eyliria

Unread postby Eyliria Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:28 pm

On a lighter note, it's absolutely silly how the Artifact Trait and the new Scorch movement talent stack together.
<30% on bosses I don't think anything comes remotely close to Fire Mage in terms of mobility with this belt.

I love the belt, it creates an execute phase for mages, which is really cool. I just wonder if this belt will hold back every mage without it in terms of mobile DPS.

Either scorch does decent damage baseline, and Koralon's will -hav-e- to be changed.
Or scorch remains a lackluster filler for mobility in order to keep Koralon exciting in this way.

Another alternative is leaving Fire mages better off in terms of 'Turret mode' than they are currently, so that they can afford the mobility hit when it happens, but I don't think that's very likely to happen
Erosis

Unread postby Erosis Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:17 pm

I love the belt, it creates an execute phase for mages, which is really cool. I just wonder if this belt will hold back every mage without it in terms of mobile DPS.
Absolutely. I think scorch needs additional baseline damage buffing, perhaps also contribute to kindling, and the belt damage needs to be lowered. The belt should add some value, but so many mages are going to get screwed over without it.

Frenetic speed (30%) and the Scorched Earth (25%) are going to make belt mages look silly, but absurdly strong on fights. This is especially true for difficult mythic bosses where !@#$ hits the fan during execute range.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:07 am

PTR Fireball 210k crits
PTR Scorch sub 30% crits 400k
And you are running around like a mad man.

The belt is insane.
Tschebu

Unread postby Tschebu Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 pm

PTR Fireball 210k crits
PTR Scorch sub 30% crits 400k
And you are running around like a mad man.

The belt is insane.
Your Scorch 400k Crit is with RoP and PI Stacks
Your Fireball 210k Crit is without both.
No need to change the facts.
It is impossible to have a difference of 190k at same conditions, because the SP modifier doesnt allow to..

But still, Belt is insane ye
pleblius

Unread postby pleblius Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:51 pm

As a guy with three basically useless legendaries, I'm not really excited to see Blizzard doing this again. I do agree that Koralon's needed a buff. But man, this legendary system is really taxing my emotional health.

Return to “Fire”