[PTR] 7.1 Pyroblast Nerf

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Sevin

[PTR] 7.1 Pyroblast Nerf

Unread postby Sevin Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:29 pm

Pyroblast Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes [ 1 + 400% 376% of Spell Power ] Fire damage. Mage - Fire Spec. 2.5% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. 4.5 sec cast.

Am I reading this correctly? Please tell me I am wrong this is not including subsequent lower ignites. Red parts I was wrong.
6% Flat Nerf
9% Nerf during RoP
24% Nerf to Marquee Bindings of the Sun King
36% Nerf to Marquee Bindings of the Sun King while under RoP

Link: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/604 ... ound-Event" target="_blank
Last edited by Sevin on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raijamy

Re: [PTR] 7.1 Pyroblast Nerf

Unread postby Raijamy Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Fire is too strong, especially on burst so it will be tuned down a bit. Now they need to disable potion and trinket interaction with combustion/Rune and spec will be fine
Sevin

Unread postby Sevin Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:43 pm

Is fire too strong? If we go off simulationcraft results we are not parsing the highest https://simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T19H.html" target="_blank

And if we go by actual data according to Warcraft logs we are not number one either.

Nythendra: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#boss=1853" target="_blank
Il'gynoth: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#boss=1873" target="_blank
Renferal: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#boss=1876" target="_blank
Ursoc: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#boss=1841" target="_blank
Dragons: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#boss=1854" target="_blank
Cenarius: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#boss=1877" target="_blank
Xavius: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#boss=1864" target="_blank (This is the outlier mainly because of igniting the tentacles at the end./CD resets do to nightmare)
Senrusho

Unread postby Senrusho Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Fire is too strong, especially on burst so it will be tuned down a bit. Now they need to disable potion and trinket interaction with combustion/Rune and spec will be fine
Hmm, I would be ok with this if it meant higher sustained dps. In my raid though (our fights are too long) this is likely to take me down a peg or two from consistently top 5. If they nerfed my trinkets/pots interaction with ROP and Combustion then I will likely be one of the bottom performers.
Sevin

Unread postby Sevin Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 pm

I think my math is off above. I believe its a 6% nerf across the board now someone let me know if they think different.

So say i do 100 dmg then 300% more is 400 then do 50% more due to RoP thats 600
PTR changes 94 dmg then 300% more to be 376 then 50% for RoP for 564 still a 6% nerf.
Unreal

Unread postby Unreal Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:55 pm

@Raijamy : Fine as in subpar compared to arcane? With the nighthold sets already looking pretty promising for arcane, a spec change might be imminent in the near future. There is a clear trend towards arcane.

A spec change causes a tremendous amount of effort, essentially forcing you to have a second mage. AP isn't that much of a problem, it can be easily farmed once AK is high enough. Gearing? Depends on how many items with the right stats drop in the new raids, gearing a fire mage was a pain in the ass though.

However: Legendaries lock you in.

@Sevin: The 95% bracket is much more interesting, considering we're looking at optimal performance. I'd assume arcane is already pretty competitive to fire considering how there are hardly any players playing it, yet there are still logs where they'd outshine an (supposedly? who can tell when there is only 20 arcane logs) equally skilled fire mage.
Maahk

Unread postby Maahk Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:14 pm

I believe they are trying to compensate for the bracers, but this is the wrong way to do it.
The bracers are clearly much stronger than our other legendaries with almost all of the top parses coming from mages who have them. I think the bracers should probably be adjusted rather than nerfing fire across the board. Mages without bracers are not excessively good as far as I can tell - pretty much in the upper middle of the pack in most parses I've seen.
Sevin

Unread postby Sevin Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:21 pm

@Unreal I would definitely agree on the Arcane movement I think the devs even said that in their Q&A that it does better but most high end mages are playing fire.

@Maahk I would agree also the bracers were a huge jump in damage for me and its damn near impossible to keep up to a fire mage without them. But if they wanted to nerf just those they could have just downed the 300% extra dmg if that was their goal.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:29 pm

It's possible the nerf is premptive in a sense they might believe fire scales faster to higher dps compared to others hence it only brings it to the same level with the expected gear of the near future.

I don't believe any pure class can change spec en masse this expansion. It's not the AP, that's the least. It's the spec-legendaries that are now being collected (fire is still 97%+ of the class).

The logs' 95% bracket is not too special. It will need a significant number of samples to be meaningful. And, some players might be better off looking at lower brackets due to guild skill.
Sevin

Unread postby Sevin Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:36 pm

It's possible the nerf is premptive in a sense they might believe fire scales faster to higher dps compared to others hence it only brings it to the same level with the expected gear of the near future.
That's a good point I wasn't thinking about the future gear.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Your numbers are incorrect.

It's a 6% nerf in all situations, nothing more or less. it's not "9% during RoP", it's 6% during RoP. It will do 6% less dmg during RoP than it did before.

Aside from that, I wish they nerfed pyroblast bracers instead of straight up nerfing pyroblast damage.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Tyllarin

Unread postby Tyllarin Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:14 pm

It honestly does feel like theyre nerfing because of the legendary, both for fire's pyro and for arcane's mana costs. And it seems ridiculous to me that they would balance the class around a legendary that most people don't even have, and many will never get. Instead, they could focus more on balancing the legendary(s) such that more than just 1 or 2 were viable for top end content (for every class tbh). People would bitch about it if mages are complaining but damn people, we don't want to get nerfed the same way you don't want to get ignored or nerfed too.
Ghostfire87

Unread postby Ghostfire87 Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:17 pm

It's a 6% nerf in all situations, nothing more or less. it's not "9% during RoP", it's 6% during RoP. It will do 6% less dmg during RoP than it did before.

Aside from that, I wish they nerfed pyroblast bracers instead of straight up nerfing pyroblast damage.

Long time lurker new poster here just curious if your factoring in the nerf to our ignite damage which is greatly effected by PB damage with your math on the 6% nerf.
Plastics

Unread postby Plastics Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:08 pm

Long time lurker new poster here just curious if your factoring in the nerf to our ignite damage which is greatly effected by PB damage with your math on the 6% nerf.
It's all multiplicative. Your ignite contribution by PB is mastery * 2 * pyro damage during HS, so changing pyro to 0.94*pyro changes the overall ignite contribution by a factor of 0.94, so that's also reduced by 6%. All Pyroblast-based damage is just reduced by 6%, which works out to something like a 3-4% overall nerf, without the bracers?
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Yeah ofcource it's more than just the 6% pyro damage due to ignite, but 6% doesn't turn into 9% because we do 50% more damage.
Owner of Altered Time.

Ghostfire87

Unread postby Ghostfire87 Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:31 pm

Yeah ofcource it's more than just the 6% pyro damage due to ignite, but 6% doesn't turn into 9% because we do 50% more damage.
Any thoughts on what sort of total nerf% we are looking at overall here from the changes?
hyper

Unread postby hyper Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Any thoughts on what sort of total nerf% we are looking at overall here from the changes?
I go from 364k to 351k on the sim, so a 3.5% dps loss. I also have the pyroblast wrists.Pyroblast loses about 9k (-5%) dps and ignite loses about 4k ( -5%) dps.

This is what I pasted in simcraft to override: override.spell_data=effect.4785.sp_coefficient=3.76
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:21 pm

~3%
Owner of Altered Time.

Biowned

Unread postby Biowned Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:35 am

And here I am, still waiting for those bracers to drop.

Seriously, the nerf makes no sense at all. What makes fire strong are those bracers, we're pretty average w/o them.
Mage

Unread postby Mage Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:08 am

Yeah, it makes no sense even when looking at stats - statistically mages are topping 0 (zero) bosses in the instance https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10#boss=1853" target="_blank

Return to “Fire”